Novation Ultranova

Started by montyrivers, March 14, 2013, 05:20:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

montyrivers

Ok, I know I nerd out over niche, one trick pony synths and other garbage but seriously...  This thing rocks.  It's like a poor man's virus, but it's still capable of some really warm, old school tones (B3 emulations, anyone?)

What I thought was just a bargain bin synth turned into a totally legit venture into subtractive synthesis.  Anybody else own one or see this thing before?  They also make a minikey version.

http://us.novationmusic.com/hardware-synths/ultranova

arkieboy

Quote from: montyrivers on March 14, 2013, 05:20:07 AM
Ok, I know I nerd out over niche, one trick pony synths

A man after my own heart.  Are any multi-purpose synths really worth the entry price?  Workstations - pah! 

Quote from: montyrivers on March 14, 2013, 05:20:07 AMbut seriously...  This thing rocks. 
. I have a supernova II and that's a superb synth for a serious guitar synth rig

Quote from: montyrivers on March 14, 2013, 05:20:07 AMIt's like a poor man's virus

There we'll have to differ.  I don't like the virus much - sounds like a poor man's supernova :0)

I got my supernova as a live replacement for my ancient Oberheim Matrix 6R two years ago thinking I would drop it when the gigs finished.  Couldn't possibly hock it in now though.  Just sounds too good and the multi timbal mode is too flexible.  It can cope with anything my Axon can throw at it in terms of string and fret splits.

Now if Novation did an ultra nova as a 1u rack like a bass station that would be an essential impulse buy ...

Steve

Main rig: Barden Hexacaster and Brian Moore i2.13 controllers
Boss SY1000/Boss GKC-AD/Boss GM-800/Laney LFR112

Other relevant gear: Line 6 Helix LT, Roland GR-33, Axon AX100 MkII
Oberheim Matrix 6R, Supernova IIR, EMu E5000, Apple Mainstage, Apple Logic, MOTU M4

Elantric

I love my Novation X-Station 25

But my recent toy is a Avid Venom ( under $180) - far more than meets the eye and works great with ProTools.

montyrivers

Having gotten the chance to play with the TI2 keyboard, I was very impressed.  I agree that the price tag and just the weight of the unit itself are WAY too pretentious to make it worth the trouble.  Even just the desk/rack module's are over 2k.  NO THANKS.

The Ultranova is monotimbral, but I was never one for multitrack sequencing outside of a DAW and that leaves all the processing power for modulation and effects during live performance.  It also complements my Sonic Cell's sound and also doubles as a mixer for both of the sonic cell's outputs (makes running everything to FOH a lot easier and I can control the volume of both units with one convenient knob.  In addition to my vg driving the 1st 6 midi channels on the SC, I have an A800 pro controller and the octave of pk 5 pedals rigged to channels 11 and 12.  Put the ultra on top with its B3 rotary patches and I've got a pretty over the top 2 tier setup (midi merge boxes were used...).

I was considering the venom but I guess im superficial.  I didn't enjoy the key feel and the button layout.  I read the manual and tried making use of the multi mode but I guess it was designed with studio use in mind.