Drop your Jam Origin Midi guitar takes here!

Started by PD FX, December 15, 2012, 09:00:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

QuoteBuffersizes in MG internally are now not so small as in the old VST doing mono pitch detection, and that is probably the reason that they were fast in comparison, they had allready the minimum size for buffering.

Believe it or not, those old VSTs were polyphonic!  I've been meaning to circle back and test some of my old configurations vs. the GR55 and now MG...  See if my memories re: accuracy and latency hold true.  But nowadays I can barely find time to pick up a guitar, let alone test alternate rigs.

Quoteyes, I also suspect its algorhytm can run on a small dsp machine, having a realtime os with minimal buffersizes. It would save energy enormously for sure..

Yes, these are definitely tasks (filtering, gating, FFTs, etc) that would be better served in a tiny OS where they'd have absolute top priority at all times.  It would also help that some of that could be taken out of the processing chain entirely, and replaced with analog hardware, e.g. for guitar-specific audio filtering.  I think that's all it would take to bridge the gap between almost there (circa 1 second of latency) and really there (circa 150ms latency, or less).

But I'm speculating, of course.  I wonder whether anybody at Roland or elsewhere has actually sat down and tried building out (and costing out) a prototype along these lines.  It just doesn't seem that complicated to me.  The software guys have done all the heavy lifting already.

PD FX

>I think that's all it would take to bridge the gap between almost there (circa 1 second of latency) and really there (circa 150ms >latency, or less).
1 second of latency?? Did you get 1 second of latency while testing MG, really? Then there was something terribly wrong.
this take here is not faked, the guitar is dry direct recorded from direct monitoring, not even through the computer.

here's the take with dry guitar reference on one side of the channel
and yes, that's slower than my gr55 internal sound, but not that much, so I expect that in a while the soft converters will overrule the hardware, because of simple laws of inovation. typewriters have vanished too, you know.. but it will take a while..

mbenigni

Quote1 second of latency?? Did you get 1 second of latency while testing MG, really? Then there was something terribly wrong.
this take here is not faked, the guitar is dry direct recorded from direct monitoring, not even through the computer.

Something close to 1s, yes.  Maybe 500ms but not less.  I just watched your video and WOW that is much better performance than I was seeing.  I agree, there must be something wrong with my Windows installation, either MG does not dig Win7 64-bit, or I have some other background service running that's killing performance.

Question: have you tried running the MIDI Guitar VST or just the standalone app?  If you did test the VST, was it comparable to the standalone?  I only tested VST in Ableton Live, which I would expect to add a bit of latency, but not more than a few milliseconds.

PD FX

Quote from: mbenigni on January 31, 2013, 01:45:04 PM
Something close to 1s, yes.  Maybe 500ms but not less.  I just watched your video and WOW that is much better performance than I was seeing.  I agree, there must be something wrong with my Windows installation, either MG does not dig Win7 64-bit, or I have some other background service running that's killing performance.

Question: have you tried running the MIDI Guitar VST or just the standalone app?  If you did test the VST, was it comparable to the standalone?  I only tested VST in Ableton Live, which I would expect to add a bit of latency, but not more than a few milliseconds.

You should test with the standalone, it is the most transparent way. VST performance is just the same, as long as the audiobuffer setting of your DAW is 128. But first get your standalone running, then you know your hardware/sounddriver system is ok.
(The problem with the windows soundsystem is its chaotic amount of different audiodrivers that can be used..)

Download the newest version V0.6 here:

Windows Downloads:
Version 0.6.0 BETA: http://jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/MIDI-Guitar-0.6.0-Win.zip

Mac Downloads:
Version 0.6.0 BETA: http://jamorigin.com/midi-guitar/MIDI-Guitar-0.6.0-Mac.zip

Whats New in MIDI Guitar 0.6.0 BETA
================================================== ========

General:
* General Tracking Improvements (faster note-off, reduced spurious hits)
* Experimental Pitch Bend support (mono bends only)
* Velocity Control Slider
* All midi sent to MIDI Guitar is now passed through to internal hosted
instruments and also through to the MIDI output. This makes it possible to
use midi expression pedals (sustain)
* Instrument Program Selector
* Pitch Prediction Level 3 is now default
* Test piano is now stereo and full 88 keys
* Console log section displays warnings in case of problems
* Improved documentation and help section

IanRamos

that video was amazing GuitarPolson ...

i been cheking the JamOrigin MG for about 2 weeks , since i saw a reference to it in a mbenigni post in that forum , before i didn't knew that software .
and i have to say i'm totally blown away not only for how well it performs , but for the potential ... the damn thing tracks as well as mi Gr-55 and it's still in beta !!

only thing right now keeping me from selling my Gr-55 is the COSM bass and acoustic guitars , wich i really need for my recordings , and it doesn't seem like any software is gonna do anything comparable anytime soon .

plus , it seems to detect really fast different notes , to the point that , well configured , is almost impossible to overrun it ... but i noticed that if you just play the same note ( specially if you do it fast ) it just doesn't recognice what u doing and doesn't make any sound ...

OldShepster

Ummm....WOW...Polston's video got me hooked and everyone else was great listening to boot.  It's so helpful to have the rig description with the playing demonstrated.  Very useful and inspiring thread.  Thanks to everyone who has contributed!

Shep

Brak(E)man

no vid but here's a live test
A short clip with an acoustic fretless nylon stringed guitar through
a softsynth  and a software live looper + the nylon fretless sound with a resonance plugin

pick up : a shadow transducer microphone mounted inside the body,
amplified with a T.C. Boost/Dist into a Behringer Guitar audio USB interface ( yeah I know)
all's "live" through my macbook
no editing or add FX and
played with no disregard for triggering

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch