VG99, FC300 and Ableton Live Looper problem

Started by Phil John, January 02, 2012, 06:54:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Phil John

Hi Everyone.

I'm looking for some help ???

I've got a VG99 connected to an FC300 using Sysex mode. I've got the Ctrl1 and Ctrl2 pedals on the FC300 sending control change messages to Ableton Live on my Macbook Pro and I'm using Live as a looper. It took me ages to get it this far and just when I thought everything was working fine, I found that when I use the expression pedals on the FC300, it seems like the control change information they send overwhelms Live and the audio breaks up.

I was wondering whether anyone had any similar experiences and might be able to point me in the right direction to resolving the problem.

If I don't use the expression pedals, there's no problem, but they are one of the main reasons I like the FC300.

Thanks

Phil

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group Phil John!  :)

So if I am understanding you right the MIDI data from your EXP pedals is bogging down the CPU in your Macbook and interupting the audio coming out of it?

What connection are you using to go to the computer?

Phil John

That's right.

I'm using the USB out of the VG99 directly into my MacBook.

Brent Flash

And are you using the VG as an audio interface?

Phil John

Yes. I'm using the USB to handle the audio and the MIDI to my MacBook Pro (which has 4G RAM).

Brent Flash

As an experiment could you use the line out of the Macbook instead of the VG for audio out and see if it still has the same issue? That would require you to select INTERNAL for your sound INPUT and OUTPUT on your Macbook's SOUND CONTROL PANEL and hook up a cable from the HEADPHONE OUT of the Macbook. This may tell us if it is a USB problem or a processor / RAM problem. By the way what Macbook model is it?

Phil John

Hi Brent,

Thanks for the help so far. I should have been clearer, but the audio OUT of the MacBook is already the line out through the headphone socket. I'm just using the USB to get the audio and MIDI in from the VG99. My MacBook Pro is a 2.5GHz Core Duo 2 with 4GB of RAM. It's about 3 years old, and although I use it for just about everything with no problems, on this occasion it looks like maybe it can't keep up with processing the MIDI data while also handling the audio, or that there's an issue with Ableton Live when using an Expression pedal.

Although my set up might be uncommon I thought that there might be other people using the VG99 with some MIDI foot controller, e.g. the Behringer, that have had the same issue of transmitting continuous control data from an expression pedal and that there might be a preferred way of doing it.

marco

... just a "shoot in the dark"...
The Win driver (I can't remember if it's the same for the Mac one) have two different USB ports, the first for midi commands (note, cc, etc), the second for the editor.
Try changing Ableton's midi input (you should see 2 different Roland VG99 USB)
not much but worth a try.
Marco

Phil John

Thanks Marco, that's a good idea. I haven't paid much attention to the configuration in Ableton Live so when I get a chance I'll try that out.

Elantric

QuoteThanks for the help so far. I should have been clearer, but the audio OUT of the MacBook is already the line out through the headphone socket. I'm just using the USB to get the audio and MIDI in from the VG99.

Sounds like a problem to me.

For least problems,  you will want to use the same audio hardware/ Audio Interface for both Audio Input AND Audio Output - regardless of Windows or Mac.

Phil John

QuoteFor least problems,  you will want to use the same audio hardware/ Audio Interface for both Audio Input AND Audio Output - regardless of Windows or Mac.

It never occurred to me to route the audio back from my Mac through the VG99 and then out.

I'll try that out over the weekend.

Thanks. :)

Phil John

Problem solved. ;D

Elantric's suggestion of making sure I was using the same audio interface for in and out fixed it for me.

I've now got it hooked up as I wanted without the breaks in audio when I use the expression pedal.

It's funny, I've had the VG99 for about 3 years and I still didn't realize that I could use it for two-way audio through the USB.

Thanks everybody for your help!