GR-55 - Any tips for breaking in the Exp pedal switch?

Started by mbenigni, June 28, 2011, 08:48:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mbenigni

I'd like to be using the toe-down expression pedal switch a bit more but I'm finding it's annoyingly difficult to engage unless I get all of my weight on it.  If I'm reaching over from a slight distance, or seated, forget about it.  Anyone else having this trouble, and is there a recommended way to change the mechanical feel?  I thought about shaving down the rubber block under the pedal but I don't want to anything that isn't reversible without getting some other opinions.  Thanks.

gumtown

Quote from: mbenigni on June 28, 2011, 08:48:13 AM
I'd like to be using the toe-down expression pedal switch a bit more but I'm finding it's annoyingly difficult to engage unless I get all of my weight on it.  If I'm reaching over from a slight distance, or seated, forget about it.  Anyone else having this trouble, and is there a recommended way to change the mechanical feel?  I thought about shaving down the rubber block under the pedal but I don't want to anything that isn't reversible without getting some other opinions.  Thanks.

The toe switch is not a physical switch, but a rubber end stop and the EXP pedal movement reads that last 1% movement as being a software switch activation.
If you do the GR-55 EXP pedal calibration, you can set how much pressure is required on the switch to activate it.

TIP: do the calibration with your foot in normal playing position, if you do it only using your hand, the calibrated pressure will be all wrong.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

mbenigni

QuoteIf you do the GR-55 EXP pedal calibration, you can set how much pressure is required on the switch to activate it.
LOL somehow that never occurred to me.  Thanks very much!

Elantric

QuoteI'd like to be using the toe-down expression pedal switch a bit more but I'm finding it's annoyingly difficult to engage unless I get all of my weight on it.  If I'm reaching over from a slight distance, or seated, forget about it.  Anyone else having this trouble, and is there a recommended way to change the mechanical feel?  I thought about shaving down the rubber block under the pedal but I don't want to anything that isn't reversible without getting some other opinions.  Thanks.

Avoid placing GR-55 on a padded Carpeted floor

Instead place the GR-55 on a hardwood floor ( or hardwood pedal board ) and recalibrate the GR-55 Expression Pedal

https://www.rolandus.com/support/knowledge_base/201977269
GR-55: CALIBRATING THE EXP PEDAL
Tags: adjust, range, calibrate
The GR-55 contains a pedal calibration feature which can be used to calibrate the on-board EXP pedal. This can be used if the EXP pedal is not functioning as expected, even after you've assigned the correct parameters to it.

Tip: Performing the pedal calibration will not erase or affect any patch or system parameters in the GR-55.

1. Press EDIT.

2. Press the PAGE right (>) button to access the SYSTEM tab.

3. Turn the dial to highlight the BACKUP/INIT icon.

4. Press ENTER.

5. Turn the dial to highlight the PEDAL CALIB  icon, and then press ENTER.

6. Move the EXP pedal to the minimum (heel back) position - as described in the display.

7. Press ENTER - "OK" appears briefly in the display.

8. Press the EXP pedal all the way toe-forward until it stops.

9. Press ENTER.

10. Turn the dial to adjust the desired threshold for the EXP SW (1-16). (This is for the sensitivity of the switch underneath the EXP pedal). A lower value allows the switch to be activated with the less pressure. More pressure would be needed for higher values.

11. Press ENTER. 

12. Press EXIT to return the main menu.

shawnb

Yes, the sensitivity setting makes a HUGE difference...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp