E-MU proteus vx

Started by musicamex, September 01, 2010, 03:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

musicamex

has anyone had any success using the free proteus vx download with a vg99?  what would be some laptop based (pc) soft synth recommendations for use with the vg99?  gig friendly?  easy to use?

thanks-

baatkarlo

I am about to try this out myself. I have a new VG-99 and will be using it in two ways for MIDI - one as a controlled patch enabler via Ableton Live to send it patch switching commands during an arrangement and second as a MIDI trigger for EMU Proteus VX or EMulator X3 synth VST in Ableton Live. It is a very sophisticated use scenario but is one of the primary reasons I have purchased the VG-99 alongwith its dual COSM capability.

My prior setup was to use GT-8, GR-20 and RC-50 into Ableton Live and have separate tracks but managing MIDI triggering was beyond my taste for such complexity. VG-99 allows a simpler physical setup and opens up enormous possibility to use VG-99 editor and librarian along with MIDI sync/ synth and triggering directly from one guitar.

I will post another reply later ifI succeed in doing this. But if you are trying Proteus VX, you will really enjoy Emulator X3 - it runs natively in 64-bit mode on Windows 7 as well as Mac and also runs in 32-bit VST mode within Ableton Live, Cubase and other DAWs. The sound banks are superb in this application.

You can check out my current setup (pre-VG-99) at http://baatkarlo-aol.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C3D0B0320F74324B!479.entry
Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play. Eat sleep get up play.

musicamex

i look forward to hearing how this all works out for you!!!

IF ANYONE HAS ONE OF THE PROTEUS 1000 or 2000 for parts
audity
B3 (B3 Organ) - 2000
Mo'Phatt (Hip-Hop) - 2000
Virtuoso 2000 (Orchestral) - 2000
Xtreme Lead-1 (Techno/Electronica) - 2000
Planet Earth (World) - 2000
Orbit 3 (Synthesizers) - 2001
Proteus 1000 (Pop/Rock) - 2002
Turbo Phatt (Hip-Hop) - 2002
Vintage Pro (Classic Keyboards) - 2002
(SEVERAL SIMILAR MODULES have interchangable parts) I NEED THE LCD DISPLAY.  i'd consider a working unit if i can use the sound module too (like virtuoso or something not techno or hip hop) if the price is right.

thanks for the help,

riffin

sixeight

I find Proteus VX to be pretty heavy on my CPU. Most other softsynths work fine om my Pentium 4 3 Gb and my dual core laptop, but VX is making trouble.

I am now a happy sampletank user, which is not free, but I was in on a great group buy (which has expired unfortunately) and only paid around €40.