SY-300 - Suggested settings

Started by loopman, December 12, 2017, 03:00:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loopman

Hi guys,
I need some advices from you to achieve two effects/behaviour on my SY 300.
This is what I want to achieve : I own a Roland GR-30 and it has four footswitches each of it has a specific corresponding feature, in my case I'm very interested to WAH and P-GLIDE, I want to reproduce them with the same behaviour/function and I want to assign them to two footswitches on my SY300.

On the GR-30
The first one, that is the WAH is a type of modulation called Vibrato (wavering pitch), this add an effect that resembles a guitar wah pedal to the synthesizer sound, stepping on the pedal gives the tone a brighter or a darker wah sound, it can work like a touch wah too.

The Second one, that is the P-GLIDE  allows to have the pitch change width and speed, thus the pitch changes Continously  by one octave, two octaves, a perfect fourth or fifth with different time values that it takes to make the change

As last, I would like to emulate the tremolo bar effect of a guitar.

So, there would be a way to achieve them on the SY300?

Let me know, it's very important for me
Every suggestion/idea will be very appreciated

Thank You Very Much

Rhcole

What you are asking for can be done, but you won't get the same sounding effects as on the GR-30.  Also, lets start with some basics: do you have additional controllers plugged into the SY? If not, you only have Ctl 1 which sinks most of your requests right there. Also, you should bear in mind that the pitch shifts on the SY control the Oscs not the regular guitar. That makes your vibrato bar request not feasible for anything approaching a regular guitar sound.

Now your wah/vibrato/pitch requests using the Oscs are quite doable using the wave pedal, preprogrammed intervals, or an exp pedal. You can even vary the timing of pitch shifts, I have a patch on this site somewhere that does that. To control them all within one patch wouldn't be likely though, you would need to spread them across several patches. I could envision how to program these functions in that manner using external controls or an exp pedal.

gumtown

I stuffed this together using on the SY-300 Tone Studio 'offline', so I don't know what it will sound like.

CTL 1 does Whammy,

you will need a dual external footswitch for CTL 4 & 5

CTL4 does P-Glide,
CTL5 does Wah.

All the switch actions are momentary, so releasing the footswitch returns the tone back to normal.

The tone studio patch is attached below.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

loopman

Thank you so much!
I will give it a try as soon possible, in the meantime I have a question: can I replace the external footswithes CTL4 and CTL 5 with the onboard CTL 2 and CTL 3? so that they can do the same function? I'd prefer to avoid the use of external  footswitch

Again, thanks a lot for your time, it's very appreciated
All my Best

gumtown

You can do that, use CTL2 and CTL3 for control, and forego the patch change functions they are assigned.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Rhcole

But the loss of being able to change patches may be too big a sacrifice. I tried reassigning them once and lost the ability to press and hold for rapid changes. Didn't like that at all, went back.

loopman

Rhcole,
I will give to the Whammy and I will use CTL 1 and CTL 2 for the Wah and the P-Glide, so the CTL3 will be free for patches changing

That's all

Thanks a lot guys

Rhcole

How will you assign one Ctl for both up and down?? I don't know if you can make it do both...

gumtown

A compact dual footswitch like the Boss FS-7 wouldn't take much room.

Do you need these 3 functions in the same patch?,
because you could have 3 patches with one different function in each and still use CTL1 for the effect, and CTL 2 & 3 for patch switching.

whippinpost91850

I use one of these hooked to a Digit to step through songs on Setlist Maker