GR-55 - My D string goes out. Any advice appreciated. :)

Started by schfiftyfive, October 29, 2017, 07:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

schfiftyfive

I have noticed my D occasionally goes out. I can usually re-seat the cable and get it back, but I did it this morning in a large service and lost it again shortly thereafter. Had to finish the song without the D. Is this a certain pin? i.e. would a cable fix it? perhaps a more heavy duty? or is it dirt etc?

A friend of mine gave me the GR-55 and Roland Strat and I've been using them about 1.5 years. I am new to midi, so not my wheelhouse. Some of you guys are experts and I would very much appreciate some direction.

Thanks!
Joe

gumbo

Quote from: schfiftyfive on October 29, 2017, 07:28:30 PM
I have noticed my D occasionally goes out. I can usually re-seat the cable and get it back, but I did it this morning in a large service and lost it again shortly thereafter. Had to finish the song without the D.

Thanks!
Joe

Is this a certain pin? YES ... Pin 4

would a cable fix it?  Probably to clean the one you've got would be the first place to start

perhaps a more heavy duty? See the post above re recommended cables

or is it dirt etc? Dirt (by that we mean oxidation on the pins of the jackplugs AND / OR contacts within the jack)

...and all that  "sec6" already said.

If it gets to the point that you can isolate the problem to the jack in the guitar (by cleaning the existing cable and/or replacing it without any improvement) you may have to consider replacing the jack itself.

...and if that proves to be the case, PM me, and I'll send you details of what I manufacture as an after-market bolt-in replacement:

...see also:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8888.0

Cheers,
Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

schfiftyfive

Thanks a lot!!!!  :D

Quote from:  sec6
13-pin Cable Maintenance:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3132.0

13-pin Cable Sources:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=1584.0

I recommend the Gittler 13-pin cables (http://gittlerinstruments.com/product/d13-cable) and Codesmart's 13-pin cables (sound@primova.se, http://primovasound.com/)

schfiftyfive

Thanks much!!! I am using the cable that came with the GR-55. I will check for oxidation on 4. I will likely buy the heavy duty cable. It's certainly better than having it go out.

Thanks again!!!

Quote from: gumbo on October 30, 2017, 03:54:47 AM
Is this a certain pin? YES ... Pin 4

would a cable fix it?  Probably to clean the one you've got would be the first place to start

perhaps a more heavy duty? See the post above re recommended cables

or is it dirt etc? Dirt (by that we mean oxidation on the pins of the jackplugs AND / OR contacts within the jack)

...and all that  "sec6" already said.

If it gets to the point that you can isolate the problem to the jack in the guitar (by cleaning the existing cable and/or replacing it without any improvement) you may have to consider replacing the jack itself.

...and if that proves to be the case, PM me, and I'll send you details of what I manufacture as an after-market bolt-in replacement:

...see also:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=8888.0

Cheers,
Peter

HecticArt

I'd do both.

Try using the Deoxit to clean the contacts and buy a couple of extra cables. 

Even if you have one that's working perfectly, you just never know. It's not like 1/4" standard guitar cables, where you can just pick a new one up at the local guitar shop in an emergency. (Only having one cable is dangerous IMHO.) 

Codesmart and Gitler both make great cables. Codesmart's are less expensive than Gitler, but sometimes Gitler can ship a little faster. (Peter, please correct me if I'm off on the shipping thing.)

carlb

Completely agree with HecticArt. The cable makes 95% of the difference. Get two Codesmart or Gittler cables. One for backup.

Start from there, see what you need to do next. Chances are, nothing.

One other thing I can think of: Open up the guitar, check the leads going into the GK circuit board. Push the individual leads onto their corresponding connector pin with a jewelers flat-head screwdriver or the like to re-seat them.

Quote from: HecticArt on October 30, 2017, 09:55:02 AM
I'd do both.

Try using the Deoxit to clean the contacts and buy a couple of extra cables. 

Even if you have one that's working perfectly, you just never know. It's not like 1/4" standard guitar cables, where you can just pick a new one up at the local guitar shop in an emergency. (Only having one cable is dangerous IMHO.) 

Codesmart and Gitler both make great cables. Codesmart's are less expensive than Gitler, but sometimes Gitler can ship a little faster. (Peter, please correct me if I'm off on the shipping thing.)
ES Les Paul, internal Roland GK
Boss SY-1000, Valeton Coral Amp pedal
Morningstar MC8 & MC6
QSC CP8 powered speaker

schfiftyfive

Hey Guys,

Got the 13 pin Gittler and I've only used it once. But I can't seem to get the 90 degree en d out of my guitar. I'm digging the heavy-dutiness of it, but does it need to turn while holding the edges down?

So far, I just rolled it up and stuck it in the bag with my Strat.

Thanks!
Joe

OldGuitarDude

Hi Joe,

No, don't try to turn it. On the right angle connector just grip the area that looks like a dust boot and slide it back. The release mechanism is under the boot.

Hope that helps,
OldGuitarDude

schfiftyfive

Thank You! Thank You! Thank You!    It took about 10 seconds with your advice. I was afraid I would damage it. Thanks so much!

CodeSmart

I can ship you a new cable,
got plenty /w Straight-Straight connectors. Around $30-$40USD incl. postage.
sound@primova.se

But as some said, with cheap overseas postage comes a couple of weeks wait...
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

mmmmgtr

For what it's worth I had the same problem. After trying cable cleaning I finally decided to simply change out the GK2A to a newer GK3. My problem was solved. So for me,  either the 13 pin jack on the GK2A was going bad, a bad/cold solder joint developed on the board,  or the wires in the pickup were having issues.

I didn't pull the GK2A apart to figure it out. Didn't have the time or patience.  I prefer the GK3 anyway and the swap was fairly easy.

Peterramius

I have same issue with D string going out intermittently.  I don't believe it is the cable as I have used three cables- 2 from Gittler and one from Roland, all which have same issue.   I thought it may be the actual pin guitar in the guitar but took it to a guitar tech who could not find any problem.   What is also perplexing is that I encounter the same issue with my GK equipped Fender Strat and also my Godin Xtsa.  Therefore, I thought issue was with GR-55 box itself and checked firmware which is up to date, but I updated it anyway.   Still having the problem.    The solution is same as SCHFIFTYFIVE indicate le which is Re-seating cable.   

If anyone has any other thoughts on isolating this issue, would be much appreciated.  Seems to happen at least once every gig and it is quite frustrating to lose a string during a song. 

Elantric

QuoteMy D string goes out. Any advice appreciated. :)

After the 13 pin cable has been checked -

Next check the 8 pin cable that is used for the actual GK PU to the GK-3 Preamp board

The  GK-3 included with the GR-55GK or GP-10GK "bundle" seems particularly prone to poor internal wiring of the hex PU connections

Peterramius

Thank you for additional suggestion.  Actually not using GK-3 that came with GE-55.   I have. GK raady Stat and also a Godwin XTSA with 13 pin connector.   So it seems unlikely to have wiring issues on both guitars, especially since a guitar tech checked all the wiring on my GK-enabled Strat.   

Reallly at a loss to figure out what is causing D string to go out. 

admin

Then its your GK-13 cable

GK-13 Pin Cable FAQ
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19481.0

gumbo

...or the Roland jack connector to the header on the mainboard of the GR-55, where contact is made from the dreaded PIN 4    :o

...could try taking the bottom off the GR-55 (since you seem to be duplicating the problem across 2 guitars ?? ) , pulling the connector and spraying it LIGHTLY (!) with Caigs DeOxit...before you put it back to test again... 

These things have been known to give trouble in the past...   ;)

HTH

Peter

Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...