EHX- Deluxe Big Muff video with settings

Started by Bill Ruppert, October 18, 2017, 06:46:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Ruppert

My favorite go to Muff with a new video and downloadable setting for the sounds in the video.

Settings are here:
https://www.ehx.com/assets/blog/deluxe-big-muff-settings.pdf

chrish

I'm bumming that I lost my early 70s version of that pedal during a move Westward. That pedal had some great sustain qualities.

The following quote from this website which covers the history of this Electro Harmonix pedal, including a lot of talk about the circuit designs.

http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_history.html

"Matthews named it a "muff" because in his words it had a "funky, soft, muffled sound"

Elantric

my all time fave is this one -

Ive done demos back in the 1970's with Les Paul >  three knob muff Pi > Teac 3340  and it worked very well - in the final mix, never would know it was that basic signal chain

http://www.kitrae.net/music/big_muff_history.html

"Matthews named it a "muff" because in his words it had a "funky, soft, muffled sound"

Thanks for the excellent history link

QuoteSince this was in a larger enclosure, and was a bigger sounding pedal than the Muff Fuzz, Matthews simply added the word 'Big' to the name. It was model number EH-3003, a circuit designation that would last through many versions. This Version 1 Big Muff was released in early 1969 and is now well known as the "Triangle" Big Muff, so nicknamed for its triangular knob layout. E-H was selling around 3000 units a month. The list price was $39.95, but it could found for $30-35 retail, according to accounts from a few original owners. The Big Muff was also supposedly sold in a less expensive kit version for $26.95 that you could assemble yourself.

Carlos Santana purchased one in February 1971 and John Lennon got his in August 1971 in New York. Steve Howe of Yes recorded with one in 1971, and Robert Fripp of King Crimson was also recording with one (in the Foxey lady enclosure) in 1971. One of the earliest documented recording of the Triangle Big Muff was by guitarist Tony Peluso, who recorded the solos for The Carpenters hit Goodbye to Love in 1972 with the Big Muff, using a Gibson guitar recorded directly into the recording board, with no amplifier. A very rocking solo for the time, and very heavy for the Carpenters, the use of the Big Muff in this song led the way for the rock and roll power ballad. In 1973 the funk/soul music scene was hammered with the famous Big Muff solo from the Isley Brothers hit, (Who's) That Lady, played to perfection by Ernie Isley. It was recorded directly into the mixing board with a Strat, Roger Mayer Octavia, and V1 Big Muff.

Go to 1:33min

QuoteJohn Bettis has said that Richard Carpenter kept calling him, raving about the guitar solo. He was wondering why Richard was going on about the solo until he heard it. The lyricist said he cried when he first heard the song because he had never heard an electric guitar sound like that. He said Tony Peluso "had a certain almost cello sounding guitar growl that worked against the wonderful melancholia of that song". He went on to say the "way it growls at you, especially at the end" was unbelievable

alexmcginness

YES!!!!!

Finally!!! Isuggested something like this to EH a while back and here it is. Cant wait to A/B this with my mid 70s one!!!!
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

alexmcginness

Just got the Deluxe BM yesterday. Time to compare it with my old one and see if its just as good!
VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.

jim-analog

Greetings,

Bill, please refrain from stating any new pedal is your "favorite"; that tends to result in my purchase of one right away! I added this one to my collection of BMPS (it is really cool!).

Seriously, thanks for all the great demos, you're the best!

Regards, Jim

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on October 18, 2017, 06:46:51 PM
My favorite go to Muff with a new video and downloadable setting for the sounds in the video.

Folkstone57

Quote from: Bill Ruppert on October 18, 2017, 06:46:51 PM

Settings are here:
https://www.ehx.com/assets/blog/deluxe-big-muff-settings.pdf

Hello Bill,

I'm getting a rather odd popping sound when the GATE closes. Is there any way to adjust this ?