GK-3 behaviour changes from 1 patch to the other????

Started by big dooley, September 17, 2017, 06:22:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

big dooley

for 4 years i've been using the GR55 with my trusty old gibby les paul that has the graphtech hexpander system build in (the people at MLP-forum would kill me, for doing that to my guitar ;D )
as of recently i bought an epiphone les paul to use as a backup and got hands on a used GK-3 to combine with it.
the epi has a floyd trem system (another reason for the MLP-forum to sign my death warrant  ;D )

of course i did everything i could to install the GK-3 properly and set the gr55 correctly to dial it in...
however, on my own user patches i couldn't get it to work as the way i was used to, no matter what i tried
then i tried one of the factory patches suddenly finding out it works like a charm!  ??? ??? ???
as for now i have no clue, what's going on, the GK settings are the same on every patch of course, since it is a global thing, but on factory patches the GK-3 responds totally different then on user patches... i've even compared user and factory patches alongside, looking at the screen, where you can set the velocity of each string and from user to factory patches, there is a difference!!!
on factory patches the actual velocity of the strings are more balanced, while on user patches the low E, A and B string are way to loud, while the D G and high E are way to soft...
what the hell is going on???
...struggle and emerge...

Elantric

* Backup your GR-55 User patches

* Perform GR-55 Reset
https://www.sweetwater.com/sweetcare/articles/roland-gr-55-factory-reset-initialize/

Be sure you choose separate calibrated "GK Profile" for each guitar

1 ) Gibson with Ghost Piezo Hex PU 

2 ) Epi LP with GK-3 magnetic Hex PU 

Each should be very different , and needs to be changed in the GR-55 System area anytime you change guitars

And its true - many GR-55 COSM Guitar patches created for the Ghost Piezo hex PU guitar ,  will sound very different when same patches are played with  GK-3 magnetic Hex PU guitar .

As explained here:

Which one is better - Piezo or Magnetic hex PU?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=5043.0

big dooley

i indeed used seperate GK profile's for each guitar
i anticipated already that the cosm guitar sounds, would sound different from eachother, and that the tracking for the PCM-sounds too
but i couldn't manage to dial in the GK-3 using my own patches, i initially i thought i had a faulty GK-3 or the RMC OPT1 board that i installed has been screwing things up for me
by coïncidence i picked a factory patch and suddenly the thing started to behave like i was more or less used to

perhaps a factory reset is indeed in order, but i'm afraid that backing up my patches will result in the failure coming back, when i upload them back into the GR55
at the moment i run the GR55 in combination with a marshall JVM410H and an Axe-Fx XL+
basically i use the GR55's 4  soundmodules and run the guitars into the marshall and the acoustics and PCM sounds directly into the fractal, being mixed with the signal from the marshall preamp...
my pedalboard is about the size of an aircraft carrier  ;D ;D ;D

big dooley

ok i got it sorted...
with each patch you can select which GK profile you want to use in the master section of that patch...
that means you can fiddle around in the systems tab's GK settings all you want, if the GK profile is selected in the mastersection of the patch itself, you aint going anywhere
and of course on all my user patches i got the ghost piezo hex selected, while the factory patches are set to system...
i'm such a dick...  ::)