What plug ins/software effects are you guys using?

Started by mchad, September 04, 2017, 07:01:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mchad

hi ya,
soon I will finish putting together a new audio pc and I will have some grunt (not heaps) with which to make noises.

I'm wondering what software effects/instruments/sounds vguitar champions are using these days. this would be from plain ol' 1/4 inch guitar out or 13 pin or in the buss of a DAW track. I record and mix my own stuff too so any plug in suggestions for that task are welcome too. I have isotope stuff at the moment which I like.

thanks

Kevin M

Hard to go wrong with Omnisphere. I use that, East West Symphonic, or Dimension Pro for soft synths. Everything else I get from my GP-10, VG-99, or SY300. For quick audio clean-up, or mastering, I use a pre-cloud version of Adobe Audition.

szilard

S-gear is my go to amp sim; I have a couple others as well. I some times use Overloud's TH3 effects before or after S-Gear. TH3 has a nice selection of fuzz/OD/distortion pedals and some bass amps. I use Eventide's Blackhole reverb for ambient stuff, their H3000 Factory is pretty good, and I use their Quadravox. Although the amp sims have spring reverb I like PSP's Springbox. I use some of Nomad Factory's Blue Tubes stuff and I like their Echos.

Omnisphere 2 is my go to soft synth and I like the Korg legacy stuff. The Wavestation, M1, and Monopoly in particular. If you like to program DSP and experiment Reaktor 6 is fun.

I think everything except Omnisphere 2 can be found on sale if you can wait a while. Black Friday is usually pretty good for vsts.

chlorinemist

Sknote's Dimension D emulation, "DDD", is excellent for chorus. As good or better than the Eventide H8000 at this task, and the H8K is really good at it.

Also, Cytomic The Drop. Easily among the best filters ever made, software or hardware. Features 12 extremely impressive models of various classic filter circuits; saturates exactly like analog. I have many diffferent real analog filters in my studio (Sherman, Electrix, Studio Electronics), and The Drop is easily on par with, if not better than any of them. Definitely easier to use. The powerful LFOs make it much more musical than any of my hardware filters.

DreamTheory

Good old parametric EQ for shelving, and compression and reverb on vocals. I don't need a bazillion parameters, just the usual handful.

Then, when I have a playlist, Wavelab for mastering. Gives continuity across all tracks and a little extra punch. Like a final wax and buff.

Amps/Cabs/Stomps in Cubase Artist have cool looking GUI, and more flexible signal chain than GR. Easy to assign knobs.

electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

BackDAWman

Serum is excellent value, especially when on sale. Easy to use and get great sounds quickly.

Toontracks exclusively for drums and composing keys.

Trillian for basses if I don't play them myself.

Bias amp for all guitar sims.

aliensporebomb

If you have a GP-10 get the patch called "Superlush" - it literally sounds identical to a patch on my Strymon BigSky hardware reverberator but with additional processing!

Plug ins I like that I've used for eons either because they were free or shareware (low $):
Luxonix LFX-1310 multi effector
TC Electronic M30 Reverb (a freebie!)
SSL X-Orcism (a freebie from Halloween from some years back)
Expert Sleepers Augustus Loop (payware and well worth every penny)
Blue Cat's Phaser (really old now but...)
Blue Cat's FreqAnalyst
Audio Damage Pulse Modulator

I also have an app called RoundTripAAC:
It basically lets you audition your high res files and do instant comparison on how they will sound MP3 or AAC encoded - kind of useful for internet distribution of files to get the best fidelity/compression.

Also the cool one I like is Sequent which lets you do all kinds of sequenced echos, pans and whatnot. 

One I want that I haven't bought yet is Valhalla Shimmer which would let me use my CPU to generate some of the sounds I get from my VG-99 and other effector units.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

Elantric

Quote from: aliensporebomb on September 05, 2017, 04:26:38 PM
If you have a GP-10 get the patch called "Superlush" - it literally sounds identical to a patch on my Strymon BigSky hardware reverberator but with additional processing!

Where is this "Superlush" GP-10 patch  posted?
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?board=151.0

Its among one of Ainsoph's GP-10 collections
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=18533.0

mchad

admin

https://www.slatedigital.com/everything-bundle/

Overloud THU adds over 30 new guitar amp models, 19 new cabinet models, 33 effects modules and pedals, and 18 microphones... but some of the biggest game changing news of THU, is the RIG PLAYER.

Any guitarist and amp aficionado has certainly taken notice of a hardware box that has the ability to profile entire amplifiers including the nonlinear and dynamic response of the amplifier, the cabinet, the microphones, the mic preamplifier and the room sound.  Well.. THU includes a feature called R2M which stands for RIG TO MODEL, and this allows Overloud Engineers to reproduce the famous amp profiles for the THU's RIG Player, as well as create their own profiles from the best sound amp rigs.  THU Slate Edition will come with some of the greatest sounding profiled rigs and there will more expansion packs in the future.

Overloud THU Slate Edition also features fifteen incredible sounding cabinet impulses from industry leaders Own Hammer. 

Also new in THU is Amp Tweaks, which give users the ability to mod the amplifier preamp and power tube creating almost limitless tones.  THU even has a modeled variac.  Overloud really thought of everything. So enough talking, let's hear four unique examples from THU including from both the amp models AND with the RIG Player from producer Jon Symons.

Overloud THU Slate Edition will be available in the Everything Bundle soon. And for the real amp connoisseurs, we'll have some great upgrade offers to the full THU which will get you even more incredible amps, a custom IR loader to load your own cab impulses, and more!

So get those guitars tuned and set up, and get ready your mixes ready for some incredible tone.

Get the Everything Bundle for just $14.99/mo at:
www.slatedigital.com

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/th3-vs-native.2015137/

Martin Turner

Waves Infected Mushroom Pusher adds insanity to any mix.

I also like Waves NLS Channel and NLS Buss to get rid of the over-regular digital feel (it essentially adds in the discontinuities of 24 separately modelled channels each from three separate consoles).

For additional weirdness, consider Waves Saphire and Waves Vitamin.
Godin LGX - VG-99

szilard

Quote from: Martin Turner on January 30, 2019, 01:00:24 PM
I also like Waves NLS Channel and NLS Buss to get rid of the over-regular digital feel (it essentially adds in the discontinuities of 24 separately modelled channels each from three separate consoles).
I agree. I also like the Waves Fairchild 670 compressor, the Pultec EQs, and the L3 Multimaximizer.

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

joo1

Hello, does anyone know which plug to use to get the reverb that Hank Marvin has - Alone - The Schadows?

admin

Quote from: joo1 on January 31, 2019, 11:56:02 PM
Hello, does anyone know which plug to use to get the reverb that Hank Marvin has - Alone - The Schadows?

QuoteI used different processors: Boss GT 3, GT 8, GT 10, then roland GR 55, VG 99, now Boss GP 10

Search on Hank Marvin or Shadows

Shadows Delay Patterns.pdf
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=24685.0;attach=18445
A table of Shadows tracks is included, which shows mix and feedback settings to get the best sound for any given track.

a few members here are big fans and have uploaded Shadows patches for VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

Use advanced search

joo1

Lack!
I have not found such an effect anywhere.
Genius! MARWIN !!!
Beautiful sound finish - timeless!
You probably need to buy a tape echo? :(