Hi from the UK

Started by John_A, April 12, 2017, 06:24:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John_A

Hi there

Just joined the board as I've got myself a GR55.  Been playing for 30 years but this is my first venture in to synths, currently play in a rock oriented covers band and thought a few additional noises might add something to the sound, first rehearsal with the GR55 was a disaster, I think I over-used it a bit, but can see lots of potential, if only I had an extra pair of hands so I could play my normal guitar parts and add some 'keys' over the top :)

concordal

Quote from: John_A on April 12, 2017, 06:24:09 AM
if only I had an extra pair of hands so I could play my normal guitar parts and add some 'keys' over the top :)

@John_A.   Instead of an extra pair of hands here is a compromise that's been working for me.  If you need two instruments simultaneously in a song, you can always just alternate the instruments with each verse - or with verses and choruses.  You can choose which one to start with (or end with) according to the dynamics of the tune.  It's not perfect but in most cases the audience accepts it.   Of course if you're the only guitarist you'll have your work cut out for you!

John_A

Thanks for that @concordal  The issue is we are very much guitar based, Ideally id like to keep the main guitar going and just use the GR55 for some subtle embellishments, we don't to many, if any songs (yet) that really need keys as a main instriment, thinking I could make more use of the looper for either guitar or synth, but it all sounds like a lot of work :)

chrish

One technique is to assign a synth part to only one or two strings, where it can double along with the,guitar part.