SY-300 Strymon BigSky Cloud Reverb

Started by Rhcole, April 10, 2017, 10:55:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rhcole

I own both the Strymon BigSky and the SY-300. I want to transpose a few of my favorite settings from the BigSky to the SY. Here is a pretty darn good imitation of the Cloud setting, with an improved stereo image and a subtle hold via Ctl 1. The Strymon verb is a bit fluffier sounding but I actually prefer the sound of this over it.

You may need to adjust the reverb level, I have added an Exp pedal to my rig and so that is how I control levels.

JiveTurkey

Rh; you do such excellent work! I downloaded all of your patches and put them in a single liveset as I dig them that much. You are the reason I am keeping my SY, despite it kind of going on the backburner for now in favor of my GR. Great work my friend!

Rhcole

Thanks JT. It makes it worth posting stuff to know that other people like my work.
I've put the SY-300 away for weeks at a time, but it pulls me back when I realize that I haven't been using it fully. A perfect example is my recent Clean Fender Amp. With that, it becomes an instant multi-FX box just like those made by Boss, Digitech, etc. Then, you turn around, and it can mimic a Strymon reverb pedal. Change it again, a synth pedal; again, an avant-garde effects pedal like EarthQuaker pedals.
There's much more to it than people realize. They play the Oscs up high right after they get it, don't like the sound or they can't emulate synth patches from popular songs and they write it off.

JiveTurkey

Quote from: Rhcole on May 09, 2017, 10:02:30 AM
Thanks JT. It makes it worth posting stuff to know that other people like my work.
I've put the SY-300 away for weeks at a time, but it pulls me back when I realize that I haven't been using it fully. A perfect example is my recent Clean Fender Amp. With that, it becomes an instant multi-FX box just like those made by Boss, Digitech, etc. Then, you turn around, and it can mimic a Strymon reverb pedal. Change it again, a synth pedal; again, an avant-garde effects pedal like EarthQuaker pedals.
There's much more to it than people realize. They play the Oscs up high right after they get it, don't like the sound or they can't emulate synth patches from popular songs and they write it off.
I loaded up that Clean amp patch and I dug it! Same principal I use for my "Clean Amp" patch (treble booster as the Amp block). The SY is great at a lot of things but it is especially prone to Square Peg; Round Hole and as such; really easy to dismiss. Even though it's power is pretty immense once you dig in. Having the know how for the dig-in has always  been my (and maybe other user's?) Achilles heel of the SY.

chrish

Quote "Having the know how for the dig-in has always  been my (and maybe other user's?) Achilles heel of the SY."

The process of learning synth and effects programming takes a lot of time. The good news is that programming knowledge and skills builds upon itself.

To paraphrase Robert Fripp, we are all turkeys and addressing the process puts you in a position to create.

Rhcole

When I'm on a roll, I get as excited about a synth patch as writing a song. They are both really creative experiences for me. This is especially true with boxes that are deep enough to invite a second and third look, such as the VG-99 or the SY-300. They are like treasure hunts.

chrish

And if I may add sometimes creating the sound leads to creating the song. Especially true for ambient music creation.

imerkat

this preset is absolutely stunning. Took out the dry signal for a wet dry mix with my modeler but after studying it and playing with some parameters its pretty much optimal as is. Genius!!