Audacity Audio Editor

Started by Elantric, March 30, 2017, 01:25:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.audacityteam.org/

http://www.audacityteam.org/about/screenshots/
Audacity 2.1.3 replaces all previous versions.

Audacity has only partial support for Mac Sierra. We found that on a subset of Mac Sierra machines some important extensions to the core of Audacity become unavailable. Full details here: Partial support for Sierra. This problem also affects Audacity 2.1.2. Audacity 2.1.3 takes steps to reduce the problems, but does not fix them entirely. Audacity 2.1.3 is also the last version of Audacity that will officially support Windows XP.

New features, see updated manual for details:

Audacity 2.1.3 now properly supports Windows 10 (thanks to an upgrade of the PortAudio library) and on MacOS has some previously missing support for Magic Mouse/Trackpad (thanks to Paul Licameli).
New Distortion effect, Rhythm Track (was called Click Track) and Sample Data Import (thanks to Steve Daulton). Also effects are no longer grayed-out when in pause.
New scrub ruler and 'pinned' option so the waveform moves and the recording/playing head stays still. (Paul)
New features in Timer Record (Mark Young & Steve)
On Mac, audacity.app is now added to /Applications/ directly rather than adding a folder there.
64 bugs/annoyances in 2.1.2 fixed of which 15 were long-standing issues. Also lots done (Paul again) to systematically deal with memory leaks.
Fuller details on the changes since 2.1.2 can be found here.
Thanks to all involved in making this release, especially translators who don't normally get enough thanks for the work they do.

Elantric

Quotei use audacity, while not really a daw, it's very easy to use and it's free.
( ASIO Audio interfaces are what all Windows Audio interfaces utilize for lowest latency.

If you use Windows OS, if you MUST modify Audacity for use with ASIO Audio Interfaces from Boss, Roland

By default installation, Audacity does NOT provide support for ASIO

How to change that
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/ASIO_Audio_Interface
QuoteAudacity and ASIO

The ASIO technology was developed by German company Steinberg and is protected by a licensing agreement which prevents redistribution of its source code.
Audacity, as an open source program licensed under the GPL, is therefore currently unable to support ASIO, despite being ASIO-capable (providing the user's sound device is similarly capable). If ASIO support were distributed in Audacity builds this would either violate Steinberg's licence agreement if the code were included, or conversely would violate Audacity's GPL Licence if the code were withheld. There are persistent rumours of Steinberg opening up licensing, but without any apparent movement. Anyone who cares about this issue is invited to make their views known to Steinberg via their Contact page.

QuoteNon-distributable ASIO support in Audacity

Audacity provides ASIO support on Windows for individuals who are prepared to compile Audacity from source code using the optional Steinberg ASIO SDK.
ASIO support is provided strictly on the basis that it is NON-DISTRIBUTABLE, that is, you may NOT copy or distribute builds including ASIO support to anyone else. The build is strictly for your own personal (private or commercial) use. For the same reasons, Audacity can NOT distribute builds of Audacity including ASIO support, so please don't ask!
The following is an overview of compiling Audacity from source code including ASIO support.
Install the free Microsoft Visual Studio Community Edition Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
Download and install the ASIO SDK from Steinberg.
Download the source code of the latest Audacity release from https://github.com/audacity/audacity/releases. Follow the steps in win/compile.txt in the source code to:
Download and install the wxWidgets GUI toolkit then build wxWidgets using Visual Studio.
Set the WXWIN environment variable to the directory where you installed Widgets and set the ASIOSDK_DIR environment variable to the directory where you installed the ASIO SDK. Reboot the computer.
Build Audacity using Visual Studio.
Follow the instructions and download links on Developing On Windows for full details.
http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Developing_On_Windows

Elantric

http://wiki.audacityteam.org/wiki/Partial_Support_for_Mac_Sierra_in_2.1.3
Partial Support for Mac Sierra in 2.1.3

Warning icon   Audacity 2.1.3 only has partial support for macOS Sierra. This is due to problems with Audacity on that operating system.
Contents [hide]
1 Symptom 1
1.1 Workarounds
2 Symptom 2
2.1 Workarounds
3 For Developers
4 Reporting
Symptom 1

On macOS Sierra 10.12.1 and later (but not 10.12.0) on some users' machines, Audacity can lose access to:
All effects that are not shipped with Audacity
LAME (for MP3 export)
FFmpeg (for import/export of extra formats).
Audacity stops being able to find LAME, FFmpeg and effects that normally extend its capabilities. As a result plug-in effects disappear from menus, or might show an initialisation error. Affected plug-ins will always return to "New" in Plug-in Manager, even if they are re-enabled. Note that FFmpeg is not needed on Mac to import MPEG-4 audio like M4A, but is needed to export to M4A.
The problem is new with the changes that came in with macOS Sierra 10.12.1, and affects Audacity 2.1.2 and previous versions too. We have added code into Audacity 2.1.3 to reduce this problem. We have not solved the problem completely, and you may see the problem on your machine, especially if using COMMAND + W to close a project window without saving changes.
Workarounds
We believe the problem is caused by changes in Gatekeeper for macOS Sierra. If the problem occurs, opening /Applications/Utilities/Terminal.app and entering the following command will fix the issue:
sudo xattr -r -d com.apple.quarantine /Applications/Audacity/
If Audacity is elsewhere than in /Applications, change the location in the command accordingly. After typing the above command, hit ENTER on your keyboard. Type your admin password (you won't see it on the screen) then hit ENTER again. You may also need to reboot the Mac.
Unfortunately this command is needed each time the problem happens again.
Symptom 2

On all versions of macOS Sierra, on some users' machines:
On first launch of Audacity, Gatekeeper may take a minute or more to verify Audacity, displaying a progress dialogue. Please let verification complete.
If a given user installs Audacity but another user runs it, then on second run by that other user, a warning may say that Audacity is damaged and can't be opened.
When the user that installed Audacity runs it, Gatekeeper may verify Audacity each time this user runs Audacity, not just first time, and this verification may take a minute or more.
Workarounds
For Developers

This section is mainly for programmers.
Originally Nyquist effects were affected too. We have largely overcome that problem by placing the Nyquist effects with the Audacity app, so that they are part of the signed bundle.
Audacity now implements a fork and crash strategy at start up, where a separate fork is initiated and deliberately crashed. For some reason that we do not understand this seems to stop the problem happening at initialization of Audacity.
Reporting

If you experience the problem and would like to help us with understanding the cause, please contact us at.... One of the obstacles to us progressing with solving the problem is that it only happens on some users' machines.

chrish

It was simple to download the program into windows 7, plug in a boss rc- 300 usb connection, set the audio in and out device, set the levels and hit record.

or  record into a boss rc-300, drop the wav file into the pc and then import one or more wav files into audacity. Edit to taste.

I don't remember having to acquire ASIO SKD from Steinberg.

wav files can also be converted to mp3's  by purchasing the correct nch software.

Elantric

Must be using the Windows MME audio driver

That works if all you do with is record or playback
But when you start doing multitrack overdubs or using live VSTi instruments plugins ,forget MME. (due to HIGH Latency!)

I can not tolerate the resulting high latency in overdubbing on Windows - since Audacity does not support ASIO (without modification)

PeterPan8

Elantric: I have the FocusRite DI and I am trying to setup Audacity to work with it. I want to record whatever I play on TriplePlay. But I've tried countless setup on Audacity, and nothing works. I can't hear or record anything.

In the Preferences menu, under Devices, I have tried all configuration possible:
Host: MME, Windows DirectSound and WASAPI
Playback: I use Focusrite USB.
Recording: I also use Focusrite with Stereo channels.

All other Preference items are using the Default options.

I'm sure there is something else to setup, but don't know what. Maybe under Transport, in Overdub, Software Playthrough, or something else.

Any ideas?

gumtown

Audacity is my 'go to' software for recording YouTube and streamed audio.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

admin

Quote from: PeterPan8 on May 23, 2017, 09:54:16 AM
Elantric: I have the FocusRite DI and I am trying to setup Audacity to work with it. I want to record whatever I play on TriplePlay. But I've tried countless setup on Audacity, and nothing works. I can't hear or record anything.

In the Preferences menu, under Devices, I have tried all configuration possible:
Host: MME, Windows DirectSound and WASAPI
Playback: I use Focusrite USB.
Recording: I also use Focusrite with Stereo channels.

All other Preference items are using the Default options.

I'm sure there is something else to setup, but don't know what. Maybe under Transport, in Overdub, Software Playthrough, or something else.

Any ideas?

Audacity does not support ASIO (without modification)

ASIO is Required by most professional Windows Audio interfaces  Focusrite

read how to fix that here:
Non-distributable ASIO support in Audacity

Audacity provides ASIO support on Windows for individuals who are prepared to compile Audacity from source code using the optional Steinberg ASIO SDK.
ASIO support is provided strictly on the basis that it is NON-DISTRIBUTABLE, that is, you may NOT copy or distribute builds including ASIO support to anyone else. The build is strictly for your own personal (private or commercial) use. For the same reasons, Audacity can NOT distribute builds of Audacity including ASIO support, so please don't ask!
The following is an overview of compiling Audacity from source code including ASIO support.
Install the free Microsoft Visual Studio Community Edition Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
Download and install the ASIO SDK from Steinberg.
Download the source code of the latest Audacity release from https://github.com/audacity/audacity/releases. Follow the steps in win/compile.txt in the source code to:
Download and install the wxWidgets GUI toolkit then build wxWidgets using Visual Studio.
Set the WXWIN environment variable to the directory where you installed Widgets and set the ASIOSDK_DIR environment variable to the directory where you installed the ASIO SDK. Reboot the computer.
Build Audacity using Visual Studio.
Follow the instructions and download links on Developing On Windows for full details.
If you need help, please ask on the Compiling Audacity board on the Audacity Forum.

QuoteI want to record whatever I play on TriplePlay.
I DO NOT RECOMMEND AUDACITY FOR use as a Host for TRIPLEPLAY

I just use Reaper DAW, or Presonus Studio One ( which is included  free with Tripleplay )
http://www.reaper.fm/download.php

PeterPan8

I'm not looking to use Audacity as my host software. I simply want to record any new compositions I'm finding while playing on TriplePlay.

A couple of weeks ago, I had to re-install all my softwares on my laptop. And 2 months ago, I had install Audacity. I found a thread, somewhere on the Web using Google search, about how to make it work. And since I have re-installed Audacity, I don't remember the settings I did.

I have both ASIO and Focusrite ASIO installed on my computer (as before), but this time I can't find a way to make it work.  Or maybe there is another software that can do the trick... I'm still lookin'

admin

read how to fix that here:
Non-distributable ASIO support in Audacity

PeterPan8

I'm not a programmer, but I checked the link... a bit beyond myself in there!
I don't want to download, install and play with MS Visual Studio, or SDK files.

I simply want to record what I'm playing... I imagine this shouldn't be too hard  :'(

Anyway, I'll find something else... easier to play with! 
Oh, and if I find something, let me know if you are interested in my findings.

Elantric

I just use Reaper DAW, or Presonus Studio One ( which is included  free with Tripleplay )

Hurricane

Quote from: Elantric on March 30, 2017, 08:57:31 PM
Must be using the Windows MME audio driver

That works if all you do with is record or playback
But when you start doing multitrack overdubs or using live VSTi instruments plugins ,forget MME.

I can not tolerate the resulting high latency in overdubbing on Windows - since Audacity does not support ASIO (without modification)

8) :
Elaantic :

Does this apply to all software running through Window's MME audio driver ?

EZ :

HR

gumtown

Quote from: Hurricane on May 24, 2017, 07:29:15 PM
8) :
Elaantic :

Does this apply to all software running through Window's MME audio driver ?

EZ :

HR

Yes,
MME driver is like,
if you imagine, boxes of tomatoes being dispatched,
they get stacked in the loading bay,
and someone asks the truck driver to deliver them,
but only when he has some spare time.

ASIO is like boxes of tomatoes delivered on a non-stop conveyor belt.

WDM driver is somewhere in between those.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

PeterPan8

Quote from: Elantric on May 24, 2017, 02:56:22 PM

I'm still not too familiar with those two, but I finally got my way, and found how to use Audacity to record my guitar play.  In fact, it was quite easy, but you have to know your way about.  Nothing special to do, no programming language to play with, nothing to install (besides Audacity, of course!)

The trick is to choose the option to "loopback" located here:

Edit\Preferences
---Devices
------Recording, that's where you input "Focusrite USB... (loopback).

My host is Windows WASAPI (I didn't try the other ones).

Under "Recording", I checked the box "Sound Activated Recording" (experiment with the threshold activation level.) So when I'm not playing, nothing gets recorded.

So simple!... yet, I had to make sure my little hamster (the one running my brain) was turning its wheel at fast-speed!

PS: I'm posting this info, as I'm quite certain there are many visitors to this forum who are looking for the same info, and since nobody knew how to do it, then it's my pleasure to share my findings  ;D

Elantric

QuoteI'm still not too familiar with those two

Presonus Studio One is included Free with your Fishman Tripleplay software bundle

Reaper is a very popular Digiat Audio Workstation app - I know several pros who use Reaper DAW instead of Protools)

use google and youtube to seek self paced  training for either.

we are NOT talking about programming tasks that require MS Visual Studio, to create SDK's   

With Audacity on Windows without ASIO  - forget overdubbing or keeping sync 

(However Audacity works VERY well with Roland / Boss gear on Mac's with Core Audio drivers   =  no problem )

But for Windows - how to enable ASIO here

https://forum.audacityteam.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=90961

admin

Similar app to Audacity - but this one works with ASIO Audio devices
https://www.ocenaudio.com/whatis
OCENAUDIO
https://www.ocenaudio.com/features

About ocenaudio
ocenaudio is a cross-platform, easy to use, fast and functional audio editor. It is the ideal software for people who need to edit and analyze audio files without complications. ocenaudio also has powerful features that will please more advanced users.

This software is based on Ocen Framework, a powerful library developed to simplify and standardize the development of audio manipulation and analysis applications across multiple platforms.

Why ocenaudio?
It works on your computer!
ocenaudio is available for all major operating systems: Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. This means you can always rely on ocenaudio on any computer.

It stays out of your way
No matter how many files are open, ocenaudio always remains responsive. Time-consuming tasks (such as opening and saving audio files, or applying effects) run in background, allowing you to work on other files.

The user comes first
The development of ocenaudio began when a brazilian research group at the Federal University of Santa Catarina (LINSE) needed an easy-to-use audio editor loaded with features such as multiple file formats support, spectral analysis and audio signal generation. ocenaudio development focuses primarily on usability, providing the user with a cohesive and intuitive audio editing and analysis tool.

VST plugins support
ocenaudio supports VST (Virtual Studio Technology) plugins, giving its users access to numerous effects. Like the native effects, VST effects can use real-time preview to aide configuration.

Real-time preview of effects
Applying effects such as EQ, gain and filtering is an important part of audio editing. However, it is very tricky to get the desired result by adjusting the controls configuration alone: you must listen the processed audio. To ease the configuration of audio effects, ocenaudio has a real time preview feature: you hear the processed signal while adjusting the controls.

The effect configuration window also includes a miniature view of the selected audio signal. You can navigate on this miniature view in the same way as you do on the main interface, selecting parts that interest you and listening to the effect result in real time.

Cross-platform support
ocenaudio is available for all major operating systems: Microsoft Windows, Mac OS X and Linux. Native applications are generated for each platform from a common source, in order to achieve excelent performance and seamless integration with the operating system. All versions of ocenaudio have a uniform set of features and the same graphical interface, so the skills you learn in one platform can be used in the others.

To assist ocenaudio development, a powerful toolset of audio editing, analysis and manipulation called Ocen Framework was created. ocenaudio is also based on Qt framework, a well known library for cross-platform development.

Multi-selection for delicate editions
To speed up complex audio files editing, ocenaudio includes multi-selection. With this amazing tool, you can simultaneously select different portions of an audio file and listen, edit or even apply an effect to them.

For example, if you want to normalize only the excerpts of an interview where the interviewee is talking, just select them and apply the effect.

Efficient editing of large files
With ocenaudio, there is no limit to the length or the quantity of the audio files you can edit. Using an advanced memory management system, the application keeps your files open without wasting any of your computer's memory. Even in files several hours long, common editing operations such as copy, cut or paste happen almost instantly.

Try it, you will be amazed!

Fully featured spectrogram
Besides offering an incredible waveform view of your audio files, ocenaudio has a powerful and complete spectrogram view. In this view, you can analyze the spectral content of your audio signal with maximum clarity.

Advanced users will be surprised to find that the spectrogram settings are applied in real time. The display is updated immediately when altering features such as the number of frequency bands, window type and size and dynamic range of the display.

kenact

Quote from: Elantric on June 08, 2017, 03:02:19 PM
Presonus Studio One is included Free with your Fishman Tripleplay software bundle

I know this is an old thread, but I just started going through it and came across this. A few months ago I bought a used Presonus 1818VSL, which came with the cd, but the cd was broken when it arrived. Not a big deal since I have Cubase 4.5. I wanted to check it out, but couldn't find a download anywhere, and all this time I had it sitting on my computer. Where's that facepalm. :)

Thanks Elantric
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

OldGuitarDude

Hi kenact,

Apologies in advance if you already have this info. Here's the link to the latest version of Studio One (v5). For 30 days it's fully functional then it reverts to the free version "Studio One 5 Prime" with fewer features.

Presonus usually has a "Black Friday" sale with steep discounts of up to 50%, but due to all the economic turmoil this year there's no predicting whether it will be discounted or not.

https://shop.presonus.com/Studio-One-5-Prime

It's only available in a 64-bit version, Windows or Mac (10.13 or higher)

kenact

Quote from: OldGuitarDude on November 01, 2020, 01:12:18 PM
It's only available in a 64-bit version, Windows or Mac (10.13 or higher)

Thanks, I think the only 32bit machines I still have, haven't been turned on for several years. :)

x64 is the way to go, until x128 come out. :)
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

JoBoss

Quote from: Elantric on May 24, 2017, 02:56:22 PM

Can Reaper (connected to a MIDI foot controller) be used for real-time (live) playing of guitar..???

admin

Quote from: JoBoss on November 01, 2020, 11:44:03 PM
Can Reaper (connected to a MIDI foot controller) be used for real-time (live) playing of guitar..???

No idea what you mean

Reaper is a DAW ( digital audio workstation) app ( like Cubase, Protools,Sonar, StudioOne, etc   = a mutlitrack recorder, which I use to record Guitar parts from my Guitar MFX units via USB Audio ( i.e. about everything except  the Kemper) 

As opposed to a Looper app

https://musicaladvisors.com/loop-pedal-apps/

JoBoss

Let me rephrase my query.  Can Reaper installed on a laptop (connected to a MIDI foot controller) be a substitute for a MFX unit..? ::).

Seems like this gentleman endorses the same