RPi - mididings

Started by sixeight, January 17, 2017, 11:33:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixeight

I am trying to connect several devices to my VController that all work on midi channel 1 (Zoom devices and GP-10)
I want the RPi to change the MIDI channels. I have been using mididings for this. The documentation for mididings is over here:
http://das.nasophon.de/mididings/doc/gettingstarted.html

The following script works fine:

from mididings import *

config(
        client_name='channel01',
)

run(
        Channel(1),
)

But I need to filter out messages sent on channel 1. The syntax should be:

from mididings import *

config(
        client_name='channel01',
)

run(
        ChannelFilter(1) % (Channel(2), Channel(1))
)

But it keeps giving me errors. Any Linux wizards over here who can help?

sixeight

Mididings is very flexible, but also very tricky in it's syntax. Some of the examples in the manual do not compile. I did however get it to do what I want today:

from mididings import *

config(
        client_name='channel01',
)

run(
        ChannelFilter(1).negate() >> Channel(1)
)

Which means I am able to route midichannels and change midi channels in the routing. Another step forward for the RPi midi bridge. Now I need to script to run at startup, which does not work yet...

Gee

You also have the Retrokits RK-002 which is a 'Smart MIDI Cable' It can also run arduino code on it and can do very complex MIDI Tasks, this MIDI channel bending is a piece of cake on it.

sixeight

Quote from: Gee on September 28, 2018, 10:41:06 AM
You also have the Retrokits RK-002 which is a 'Smart MIDI Cable' It can also run arduino code on it and can do very complex MIDI Tasks, this MIDI channel bending is a piece of cake on it.

That looks really clever. Could be a great solution for some midi issues.

More info: https://www.retrokits.com/shop/rk002/

For the VController I needed something with several USB host ports. I wrote my own Midi bridge in the end, derived from ttymidi, that works great.