SY-300 - Can Expression pedal "pan" from guitar to Synth?

Started by panturnio, September 13, 2016, 12:38:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panturnio

Hi to everyone, this is my first post here.

Hi've tried the Sy300 in my town shop and I've just fallen in love!

Before to purchase this fantastic thing I have some questions for you guys, and this is my first:

-WHAMMY.
I know there's not a real whammy effects in this unit and I know that a whammy can be obtained using a synth sound and controlling the pitch with an exp pedal.
The question is: can I program the exp pedal in order to have only my guitar sound in the heel position (all oscillator bypassed) and then to let the synth come (and the guitar disappear) when I move the pedal? I mean that I want to have only guitar e no synth at the beginning of the pedal course (Zero position) and then no guitar and only synth from 1 to 100 position. Then, since up to 6 parameters can be assigned to the exp pedal, I would assign even the pitch control to one of them.

Is it all possible with the Sy300?
thanks!!!

the oscillators OFF in the heel position (only the guitar sound) and then when I start moving the pedal the

gumtown

Welcome to VGuitars Forum !!

Yes you can,
The SY-300 (and much Roland/Boss multi gear) have programmable controllers called "Assigns",
You would use 3 in this case,
Assign 1: control the guitar tone level with the EXP pedal, so it is 100% at heel position and 0% at about 15% position.
Assign 2: control the synth tone level with the EXP pedal, so it is 0% at heel position and 100% at about 15% position.
Assign 3: control the synth pitch, so heel position is '0' and toe position is '-24'.

Only issue with the pitch is it moves in semitone steps, but a quick Whammy style dive may not be noticeable.

Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

panturnio

Wow, thanks for the reply!

I've seen a lot of SY300 videos where the player uses the exp pedal like a pitch bend with 1 tone or 1 octave range and as far as I can hear it sounds good and semitones steps are not noticiable

Elantric

QuoteI've seen a lot of SY300 videos where the player uses the exp pedal like a pitch bend

Post them here?

gumtown

The SY-300 also has a pitch bend function on the OSC synths, but I have not used that one yet, so I can't comment on it. but it is there.
Have you installed the SY-300 Tone Studio editor? if you use it in offline mode, it will show you the available functions, although you won't hear anything unless the SY-300 is connected.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

panturnio

I've not bought a Sy300 yet, I've tested it in a music shop and I'm just putting here some questions to hoelp me undestand if I can use it the way I'm planing to do it.

Yes, maybe what I've listen in some video by the great Alex Hutchings is a pitch bend, rather than a simple cromatic rise up/down