GP-10 - Req for Pat Metheny sound from Third Wind (theme and main solo)

Started by Feromon, September 08, 2016, 06:16:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feromon

Any help?

Feromon

Thank you very much anisoph!

Unfortunately, I have a problem. Your patch imitates quite well but only in limited circumstances such a simple theme etc. and only on the recording. In playing live it sounds very artificial. It is not possible to play with good articulation, faster runs, with inspiration and expression.
I remember once I had a guitar with two active humbackers which, when mixed in the proper configuration of tone and dynamics together gave effect very similar to the mentioned Pat sound. I have no longer that guitar and I'm not able to reproduce this sound on other guitars.

I found already the sample on this forum, which is the closest of my seeking. But author (Brak(E)man) has never shared it as patch ;)

voila:

Brak(E)man

swimming with a hole in my body

I play Country music too, I'm just not sure which country it's from...

"The only thing worse than a guitar is a guitarist!"
- Lydia Lunch

Feromon

LNS

Brak(E)man

- Lydia Lunch

aliensporebomb

Right - there's a clean guitar (humbucker les paul sound), a gr-300 lead synth type sound and a sort of tight two-humbucker clean rhythm.  I'm sure I missed more.

Did anyone notice that he was playing the guitar with the synclavier control panel in the bottom section?   
Kind of Cumbersome!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

LNS

Listen to the tone around 2:00 during Pat's solo.  That's the tone I'm looking for... Thank you!

gumtown

Sounds like a mix of mostly cleanish 'guitar' and a bit of GR-300 synth.
Maybe a patch where the Expression pedal can mix between the guitar and synth tones would do the job ?
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

Quote from: gumtown on September 12, 2023, 12:47:29 PMSounds like a mix of mostly cleanish 'guitar' and a bit of GR-300 synth.
Maybe a patch where the Expression pedal can mix between the guitar and synth tones would do the job ?

Agreed, and the House PA board feed to recording probably has a few Lexicon PCM-81 Reverbs for front of house PA

Brak(E)man

Quote from: LNS on September 12, 2023, 11:28:31 AMListen to the tone around 2:00 during Pat's solo.  That's the tone I'm looking for... Thank you!

You can probably use my patch which has a GR synth + normal input.

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=19069.0

and make the EQ on the synth a bit brighter and less bassy.
Also set the balance differently partly due to different guitars
but also the sound in the video has more clean guitar than synth.

- Lydia Lunch

IMH1234

Quote from: LNS on September 12, 2023, 11:28:31 AMListen to the tone around 2:00 during Pat's solo.  That's the tone I'm looking for... Thank you!

Ultimately, settings will only get you so far with this one - I hate to overuse the line that tone is in the fingers but in the case of Pat's tone that is a big part of it - guitar modelling (Break(E)man's patch is fantastic) will get you in the ballpark but the real sauce is his unorthodox picking style, flat wound (I think) strings and very personal articulation.