GT 001 Vs. Boss Micro BR 80 Vs. Digitech GSP 1101 Guitar processor

Started by prashbez, May 29, 2016, 02:48:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

prashbez

Hi,

I've been using a Boss Micro BR 80 and a Digitech GSP 1101 for my music composition. I basically record at home using a Macbook Pro Laptop into Logic 9. My guitars are an Ibanez RG 570 and a Nylon String handmade Classical. I don't play live and mostly want to make some music and put it up online.

The Boss Micro BR 80 is normally used to record directly into my laptop but the Digitech is connected to a MOTU 828 MK3 Audio Interface and then recorded into my laptop through the MOTU. 

1. I was wondering whether the GT 001 is worth buying to replace the Boss Micro BR 80 and the Digitech GSP 1101 and how much of a difference in quality of sound is there between the GT 001 and the other units I have? I'm assuming that since the GT 001 is newer, it would have better technology than the others and may be worth the upgrade.

2. I was also wondering whether the direct USB recording of the GT 001 or the other units would be comparable to the recording through the MOTU 828 MK3?

3. Would you recommend using the Boss BR 80 for Final Recordings or is it just meant for demos and practicing? Can the GT 001 be used for Final Studio Recordings and not just Demos?

Has anyone here used all the 3 units or even 2 of the units and can they give some advice? What other units would you recommend for Final Recordings?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Cheers
Prash

Gear:
1. Boss GT-001 Processor
2. Ibanez RG 570 Electric Guitar
3. Amalio Burguet Handmade Classical Guitar
4. Shure SM 58 Mic
5. Apogee JAM audio interface
6. MOTU 828 MK3 audio interface
7. Boss Micro BR 80
8. Macbook Pro 15.4 16GB RAM 2.3 Ghz i7
9. iMac 27" 2011-3.4 Ghz i7 16 GB RAM

gumtown

The GT-001 is definitely a step up in amp modelling and effects quality and quantity from the BR-80.

The BR-80 is nothing more than a pocket recorder for demo's and a practice aid, the effects are a bit grainy compared to the GT-001.

I am not sure on what your definition of Studio recordings is, but I do not see a condensor mic in your equipment list, I recommend investing in one.
The SM-58 will only give you below average recording quality for things like acoustic guitar.

The MOTU is still a good bit of gear.
I think you will like the GT-001..
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

prashbez

Thanks Gumtown for your response.

Yes, a Condensor Mic is the next thing on my list. Any recommendations for a good one in a budget of about 500 US$?

I'll check out the GT 001 properly and take a call soon. It also seems to suit my purpose and being USB bus powered is a definite plus for me. How good is the AD/ DA conversion compared to a high end Audio Interface?

By Studio Recordings I meant making final recordings for release and mastering and not just making  Demos.
Gear:
1. Boss GT-001 Processor
2. Ibanez RG 570 Electric Guitar
3. Amalio Burguet Handmade Classical Guitar
4. Shure SM 58 Mic
5. Apogee JAM audio interface
6. MOTU 828 MK3 audio interface
7. Boss Micro BR 80
8. Macbook Pro 15.4 16GB RAM 2.3 Ghz i7
9. iMac 27" 2011-3.4 Ghz i7 16 GB RAM

sixeight

QuoteYes, a Condensor Mic is the next thing on my list. Any recommendations for a good one in a budget of about 500 US$?

I like the Rode NT2.