GR-55 - Import patches may overwrite my GK set

Started by Mauri60, August 31, 2015, 01:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mauri60

Hi! I'am Mauri and i'am a new user, so please don't shoot me, take patience :)
I'll try with search but i'm not able to find similar discussions.
I'm searchin for a correct procedure import patches to my GR55 via USB.
How i keep my personal GK set? I notice that SVD files from USB port, and G5L from librarian, overwrite my GK set, so i have to insert my preferences about hex pick.
I read manual several time and seems that o have to change a parameter into sysem tag, but for me it's not very clear.
Help is appreciate! Hope we have a nice time in there.
thanks in advance and sorry for my rust english.
Mauri
Nothing is impossible,if someone else will do for you.

Elantric

Mauri60

Thanks Mate. But probably i don't explain myself.
Procedure is ok and clear and i run several times.
But when i restart, instead of my GK settings (E.G:save name Peavey) , i found another
names E.g. "Godin XYZ" Piezo XHK ,probably author compile data.
For now i'm ok with import and export, my only goal, is to prevent my data overwrite.
Thanks in advace.

Elantric

That was always an issue for VG-99 users  - that's why when sharing VG-99 patches we always save and load all patch files as *.SMF export / import on the VG-99.

Ask same question to Gumtown here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=2951.0

Elantric

QuoteBut when i restart, instead of my GK settings (E.G:save name Peavey) , i found another
names E.g. "Godin XYZ" Piezo XHK ,probably author compile data.

post a URL  link to the problem *.G5L patch this came from or upload it here

Correct  - it would be a nightmare if loading a third party GR-55 patch overwrote your individual GR-55 GK Settings ( thats not cool!)   - your tracking would be a moving target

Mauri60

Quote from: Elantric on August 31, 2015, 03:07:16 PM
post a URL  link to the problem *.G5L patch this came from or upload it here

Correct  - it would be a nightmare if loading a third party GR-55 patch overwrote your individual GR-55 GK Settings ( thats not cool!)   - your tracking would be a moving target
Hi, absolutely right, this is so annoying.
soon i have to take confidence with floorboard editor, but for now, i elaborate a very complex procedure.
the patches are backup/restore from USB (SVD) and i download them from Giampaolo Noto Blog , there are very interesting sounds Genesis and especially Pink Floyd oriented patches  8)

First import patches to my GR, second, export to PC with librarian, choose patches to save and duplicate them into a G5L file,
to create a personal collection
finally i may export them all to GR55 and rewrite my GK settings  ;D
very NOtech, but for now it's ok.
Ill start soon to read floorboard help file, if. there's a possibility to export only patch data, i arrive at goal line.
have a nice day!

Elantric

Bulk of us here skip the GR-55 Librarian - head straight to the GR-55 Floorboard editor

learn how to use it here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=86

Mauri60

Quote from: Elantric on September 01, 2015, 09:04:53 AM
Bulk of us here skip the GR-55 Librarian - head straight to the GR-55 Floorboard editor

learn how to use it here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?action=downloads;sa=downfile&id=86
Elantric, today, late evening, i try to import some patches downloaded here, and o.c. no overwrite . i successfully imported them with floorboard, and no problem.
same patches imported through librarian in some case doesn't sound correctly.
for Giampaolo Noto's patch i definitively assume they're made with a backup of his GR55 via usb, cause original files are located into a folder Roland and a sub-folder called Sound.
So... backup entire user bank including System settings, exactly what you see when a backup is done.
I'm really sorry, if i carry you into a wrong way, this is price to pay for inexperience:
thank you and many compliments tu guys who prepare patches. sound very well  8)

gumtown

Backups made with the USB port and memory stick will over write EVERYTHING in your GR-55.
An SVD file overwrites all the System/global settings (including GK Set and setup for your guitar).
A SVD backup makes a complete image of your entire GR-55.
You have no loading options with the USB backup, and it replaces all 297 User patches, even if you only wanted one patch.

The Roland Librarian works most of the time, but has it's own glitches. But *.G5L patches will not overwrite any system/global settings.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Mauri60

Quote from: gumtown on September 02, 2015, 05:30:51 PM
Backups made with the USB port and memory stick will over write EVERYTHING in your GR-55.
An SVD file overwrites all the System/global settings (including GK Set and setup for your guitar).
A SVD backup makes a complete image of your entire GR-55.
You have no loading options with the USB backup, and it replaces all 297 User patches, even if you only wanted one patch.

The Roland Librarian works most of the time, but has it's own glitches. But *.G5L patches will not overwrite any system/global settings.
Thank you Gumtown, yes i arrive later to understand that, but luckily I'm too fresh with the unit to cause lost of significant personal data, so nothing of relevant.
Is it a real fact however, that sometimes instruction manuals may be quite fogyish about some procedure.
I'm moving first steps with floorboard editor, it's a piece of cake for us!
yesterday (late) i try some patches form there, and i'm amazed to listen quality of most of them.
i want to give compliments to users, and i hope (soon) to contribute to cause!  :)