MIDI 2.0 MMA and AMEI announce MIDI 2.0 Prototyping

Started by CodeSmart, January 20, 2019, 12:55:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

Los Angeles, CA, January 18, 2019 – The MIDI Manufacturers Association (MMA) and AMEI (the Japanese MIDI association) have finalized the core features and name for the next generation MIDI protocol: MIDI 2.0.

Member companies are currently working together to develop prototypes based on a jointly developed, feature-complete, draft specification. A members-only plugfest to test compatibility between some early MIDI 2.0 prototypes is planned for Winter NAMM 2019. Participating companies include Ableton/Cycling '74, Art+Logic, Bome Software, Google, imitone, Native Instruments, Roland, ROLI, Steinberg, TouchKeys, and Yamaha.

As with MIDI 1.0, AMEI and the MMA are working closely together and sharing code to streamline the prototype development process. Prototyping is planned to continue during 2019 as the associations work together on MIDI 2.0 launch plans, including exploring the development of a MIDI 2.0 logo and self-certification program for MMA and AMEI member companies.

During the prototyping phase, the proposed MIDI 2.0 specification is available only to MMA and AMEI members, because the prototyping process may trigger minor enhancements to the specification. Once a final specification is adopted, it will join the current MIDI specifications as a free download on www.midi.org.

The MIDI 2.0 initiative updates MIDI with auto-configuration, new DAW/web integrations, extended resolution, increased expressiveness, and tighter timing -- all while maintaining a high priority on backward compatibility. This major update of MIDI paves the way for a new generation of advanced interconnected MIDI devices, while still preserving interoperability with the millions of existing MIDI 1.0 devices. One of the core goals of the MIDI 2.0 initiative is to also enhance the MIDI 1.0 feature set whenever possible.

All companies that develop MIDI products are encouraged to join the MMA to participate in the future development of the specification, and to keep abreast of other developments in MIDI technology.

About the MIDI Manufacturers Association (MMA)

The MIDI Manufacturers Association is an international group of hardware and software companies working together to develop new MIDI specifications and promote MIDI technology. For more information on the MMA corporate membership, please visit www.midi.org/about-the-mma.

Visit the MMA Booth (Hall B, #9701)
for Unique and Innovative MIDI Products

We've assembled an incredible group of companies making truly unique and cutting-edge MIDI hardware and software.

Come see how MIDI Technology is enabling new kinds of musical instruments and new ways of making music!

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

gumtown

Yes, I got the emails yesterday.
Exciting times !!
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

Just found this presentation of Mike Kent on Midi 2.0. He talks about devices automatically recognising parameters, patch names, etc. Exciting times indeed.

admin

Elantric

admin

The MIDI Association

Some core MMA and AMEI members celebrate on Sunday night after adopting MIDI 2.0
MIDI 2.0 Adopted at
Winter NAMM 2020!

At the Annual Meeting of the MIDI Manufacturers Association during Winter NAMM 2020,  MMA members in attendance unanimously completed the adoption of the core MIDI 2.0 specifications including five core documents.   

MIDI Capability Inquiry (Update)
Specification for Universal MIDI Packet (UMP) Format and MIDI 2.0 Protocol
Common Rules for MIDI CI Profiles
Common Rules for MIDI-CI Property Exchange
Property Exchange Foundational Resources and Basic Resources

At the annual meeting afternoon session, there were demonstrations by Korg, Roland and Yamaha of prototype MIDI 2.0 devices sending and receiving MIDI 2.0 protocol messages.
There were standing room only crowds at the MIDI 2.0 A3E presentations.

There were even several MIDI 2.0 ready devices on the NAMM show floor including the BomeBox and Roland A88 MKII (pictured below).

Introduction to MIDI 2.0™

Back in 1983, musical instrument companies that competed fiercely against one another nonetheless banded together to create a visionary specification—MIDI 1.0, the first universal Musical Instrument Digital Interface. Nearly four decades on, it's clear that MIDI was crafted so well that it has remained viable and relevant. Its ability to join computers, music, and the arts has become an essential part of live performance, recording, smartphones, and even stage lighting.

Now, MIDI 2.0 takes the specification even further, while retaining backward compatibility with the MIDI 1.0 gear and software already in use. Here's why MIDI 2.0 is the biggest advance in music technology in decades.

MIDI 2.0 Means Two-way MIDI Conversations
MIDI 1.0 messages went in one direction: from a transmitter to a receiver. MIDI 2.0 is bi-directional and changes MIDI from a monologue to a dialog. For example, with the new MIDI-CI (Capability Inquiry) messages, MIDI 2.0 devices can talk to each other, and auto-configure themselves to work together. They can also exchange information on functionality, which is key to backward compatibility—MIDI 2.0 gear can find out if a device doesn't support MIDI 2.0, and then simply communicate using MIDI 1.0.

Higher Resolution, More Controllers and Better Timing
To deliver an unprecedented level of nuanced musical and artistic expressiveness, MIDI 2.0 re-imagines the role of performance controllers, the aspect of MIDI that translates human performance gestures to data computers can understand. Controllers are now easier to use, and there are more of them: over 32,000 controllers, including controls for individual notes. Enhanced, 32-bit resolution gives controls a smooth, continuous, "analog" feel. New Note-On options were added for articulation control and precise note pitch. In addition, dynamic response (velocity) has been upgraded. What's more, major timing improvements in MIDI 2.0 can apply to MIDI 1.0 devices—in fact, some MIDI 1.0 gear can even "retrofit" certain MIDI 2.0 features.

Profile Configuration
MIDI gear can now have Profiles that can dynamically configure a device for a particular use case. If a control surface queries a device with a "mixer" Profile, then the controls will map to faders, panpots, and other mixer parameters. But with a "drawbar organ" Profile, that same control surface can map its controls automatically to virtual drawbars and other keyboard parameters—or map to dimmers if the profile is a lighting controller. This saves setup time, improves workflow, and eliminates tedious manual programming.

Property Exchange
While Profiles set up an entire device, Property Exchange messages provide specific, detailed information sharing. These messages can discover, retrieve, and set many properties like preset names, individual parameter settings, and unique functionalities—basically, everything a MIDI 2.0 device needs to know about another MIDI 2.0 device. For example, your recording software could display everything you need to know about a synthesizer onscreen, effectively bringing hardware synths up to the same level of recallability as their software counterparts.

Built for the Future.
MIDI 2.0 is the result of a global, decade-long development effort. Unlike MIDI 1.0, which was initially tied to a specific hardware implementation, a new Universal MIDI Packet format makes it easy to implement MIDI 2.0 on any digital transport (like USB or Ethernet). To enable future applications that we can't envision today, there's ample space reserved for brand-new MIDI messages.

Further development of the MIDI specification, as well as safeguards to ensure future compatibility and growth, will continue to be managed by the MIDI Manufacturers Association working in close cooperation with the Association of Musical Electronics Industry (AMEI), the Japanese trade association that oversees the MIDI specification in Japan.

MIDI will continue to serve musicians, DJs, producers, educators, artists, and hobbyists—anyone who creates, performs, learns, and shares music and artistic works—in the decades to come.

https://www.midi.org/articles-old/details-about-midi-2-0-midi-ci-profiles-and-property-exchange

admin

An Introduction To MIDI Polyphonic Expression (MPE)
https://www.midi.org/midi-articles/midi-polyphonic-expression-mpe

http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2020/09/11/an-introduction-to-midi-polyphonic-expression-mpe/

An Introduction To MIDI Polyphonic Expression (MPE)

What is MPE?

The latest KVR Audio video features Peter Nyboer answering this question, with an introduction to MIDI Polyphonic Expression  (MPE).

MPE is a recently adopted standard that supports new options for expressive music performance using MIDI devices and software. MPE is a method of using MIDI which lets you use multidimensional controllers to control multiple parameters of every note within MPE-compatible software.

Traditionally with MIDI, expressive controls like Pitch Bend are applied to all notes being played. In MPE, each note is assigned its own MIDI Channel, which allows expressive controls like Pitch Bend to be applied per-note.

More info is available at the MIDI.org site.

===================
2 thoughts on "An Introduction To MIDI Polyphonic Expression (MPE)"
montrealgia
September 11, 2020 at 8:33 pm Reply
Hope this will help lift some misconceptions.
It's puzzling that several devs and manufacturers use the term "MPE" for monophonic synths or for controllers which don't send controller-per-note.

To my mind, the easiest way to explain it to people who've used MIDI devices for a while is that it's like an expansion of polyphonic aftertouch. Even if they don't know the details of the differences with channel pressure, they're likely to get what this means.
Otherwise, people tend to focus on the fact that some controllers have more dimensions of expression. So, if they think of the Seaboard, they might claim that responding to CC74 and increasing pitchbend range should be enough to "work with MPE controllers". That's rather misleading, albeit unwittingly.

A case that I find really strange is a hardware controller which claims MPE support yet doesn't even send polyphonic aftertouch, let alone any other kind of per-note control. That's very close to false advertising, in my humble opinion. I've had an extended conversation with that specific manufacturer to no avail.

====
stub
September 11, 2020 at 9:08 pm Reply
I used to complain that MPE was messy workaround. I didn't like that you sacrificed multitimbral capability. I didn't like that synth & controller makers continue to ignore polyphonic AT which is built into the regular spec. And I wasn't crazy about the various controllers that used MPE (with a few amazing exceptions).

I've come around a little bit. I still think it is kind of a messy workaround, but I see the cleverness of it more clearly now.

Who knows when MIDI 2.0 will start getting widespread adoption & implementation. But that will make MPE obsolete (hopefully).

Elantric

https://github.com/microsoft/MIDI

Windows MIDI Services
This project is the next-generation MIDI API for Windows, including MIDI 1.0, MIDI CI, and MIDI 2.0. It includes enhancements, a new USB class driver, new transports, and a suite of essential tools. The project adds many enhancements and bug fixes to our MIDI 1.0 support, and importantly adds support for the latest revisions to MIDI CI and MIDI 2.0 as approved by The MIDI Association.