New Roland JC40

Started by Graham G, July 14, 2015, 07:59:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham G

I found out about this,from a link i followed from the GT100 section,it popped up as an advert.
http://www.rolandus.com/products/jc-40/

I don't know anything more than it says on the Roland website,but looks interesting for GT users,L/R inputs & a real JC clean amp,with 40 watts.
Someone suggested(on another Forum) it might be "JC Clean"cosm,but i hope it's a mini JC120,with the added bonus you can actually carry it ;D..
It's not been mentioned yet on the Forum(i think),so i thought i'd post about it,this could be a real replacement for my cubes,to use with my GT100.
Cheers,Graham.

Elantric

It's probably ok for the guitar (GT-xxx, ME-80)

But open back cabs as found on the JC Combos I can't recommend for reproducing the massive low end frequencies of the GR-55 or many synth patches on VG or GP-10.

Be prepared for replacing speakers each month after abusing it with your GR-55 grand piano

Graham G

Quote from: Elantric on July 14, 2015, 08:12:38 AM
It's probably ok for the GT-xx crowd.

But open back cabs as found on the JC Combos I can't recommend for reproducing the massive low end frequencies of the GR-55 or many synth patches on VG or GP-10.

Be prepared for replacing speakers each month after abusing it with your GR-55 grand piano

I only use the GT100,so i don't have to worry about that :).
I wasn't aware that Roland speakers where so puny,i've played all sorts of heads through my old Cube 60 speakers.
It does look interesting for GT users though,i've heard some really good heavy rock guitar sounds through a JC120 with a boost/overdrive pedal,this might be great with the GT100.
Graham.

Elantric

The Cubes are a whole different enchilada - as they have a Closed Back speaker cab, which results in a dampened speaker excursion that can deliver far more lower frequencies.

I'd venture that Two Cube 40XL's , would be better than one JC -40 for many here.

I know my two Cube 80's can amplify just about anything I throw into them.

Graham G

Quote from: Elantric on July 14, 2015, 08:28:20 AM
The Cubes are a whole different enchilada - as they have a Closed Back speaker cab, which results in a dampened speaker excursion that can deliver far more lower frequencies.

I'd venture that Two Cube 40XL's , would be better than one JC -40 for many here.

I know my two Cube 80's can amplify just about anything I throw into them.

I havan't seen pictures of the Back of the amp,i do prefer closed cabs,when/if you have the opportunity to check out the JC40,i'd be very interested in your assessment.
Do you know if it is a solid state amp like the JC120 ?,i can't believe they would use COSM & i.c.output in a JC amp.
Graham.

Elantric

http://www.rolandus.com/products/jc-40/
http://www.roland.com/promos/jc_40_years/

QuoteDo you know if it is a solid state amp like the JC120 ?,i can't believe they would use COSM & i.c.output in a JC amp.

Cant tell for the new JC40 -

Thats why I like the "JC Clean" channel on the Cubes - its mostly analog signal path., while the Cube 80's Lead Channel is another ballgame, all DSP COSM.

Headless68

regards the JC-120 - I recently acquired one - its not as heavy as legend tells, my last Valve head was heavier due to the massive transformers, but then again, its not a cube either :-)

FWIW - I love the sound from the JC - its got a much wider spectrum than the Cube (60) , a lot of bass if you want it too

Headless 

Elantric

Quoteregards the JC-120 - I recently acquired one - its not as heavy as legend tells, my last Valve head was heavier due to the massive transformers, but then again, its not a cube either :-)
That good to hear

last time I delt with JC-120's I worked on the pair owned by Wayne Johnson
http://www.discogs.com/Wayne-Johnson-Arrowhead/release/2919240

Each of his JC-120s were loaded with two EVM 12L's and each weighed a ton!

Headless68

Mine is a 1985 model with original roland speakers - the only changes are speaker grills as the cloth was split and it already had a master volume mod for the power amp which is really handy for me as I'm going in stereo to that rather than the preamp
It does sound great straight in though they have the chorus spot on, sounds huge - guess there is s reason it's been in production for 40 years :-)

drbill

When I saw that a new model was out, I hoped I could get replacement switches for my JC-50 (both were broken by movers long ago), but it looks like they (not surprisingly) don't use the same ones after 30+ years.
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

drbill

Quote from: Elantric on July 14, 2015, 11:25:45 AM
last time I delt with JC-120's I worked on the pair owned by Wayne Johnson

I heard those amps many times in the early '80s. Used to see the Trio perform often at the Comeback Inn in Venice when I was in grad school. The most amazing music I ever listened to for the price of a plate of chips & guac!
GP-10, KPA
BM i2.13p, '76 Les Paul Deluxe w/GK-3, MiM RRS, Ibanez RG420GK, Charvel strat copy w/GK-2a, FTP

Elantric

QuoteWhen I saw that a new model was out, I hoped I could get replacement switches for my JC-50 (both were broken by movers long ago), but it looks like they (not surprisingly) don't use the same ones after 30+ years.

http://www.synfo.nl/servicemanuals/Roland/JC-50_SERVICE_NOTES_2nd.pdf

Here are the Roland JC50 Switch part numbers

PN# 13159101 BRIGHT SWITCH

PN# 13159301 CHORUS/VIBRATO SWITCH

But these changed to Slide switches depending on the year of manufacture

I had a box full of these switches back in 1984 at Valley Arts

today call:

Roland Corporation U.S.
5100 S. Eastern Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90040-2938
Customer Service Tel: (323) 890-3700

Elantric

QuoteI heard those amps many times in the early '80s. Used to see the Trio perform often at the Comeback Inn in Venice when I was in grad school. The most amazing music I ever listened to for the price of a plate of chips & guac!

Those were the good old days!

FWIW - my friend Dudley Gimple (principal Guitar Designer at EB/MM) designed and built Wayne Johnson's  Double neck ES335 at Knute Koupee music store in Minneapolis, Minnesota  back in the late 1970s.

He also worked on guitars for Prince.

Elantric

drbill

Quote from: Elantric on July 14, 2015, 03:28:18 PM

I had a box full of these switches back in 1984 at Valley Arts

today call:

Roland Corporation U.S.
5100 S. Eastern Ave.
Los Angeles, CA 90040-2938
Customer Service Tel: (323) 890-3700

I'll just jump in my TARDIS and come pick a couple up!  ;D

I called Roland. Whatever supply of the switches they had is long gone. They weren't even very helpful about speccing out a replacement that would for sure fit. Mine has the switches with the round toggles; bought it in '81 or '82 at a store in Santa Monica.
GP-10, KPA

Headless68

I had similar experience trying to get replacement grill cloth - apparently you have to buy a complete cabinet !

aliensporebomb

My 120 has survived three plus decades of use.  What an amazing amp.  Bomb proof, if there is such a thing.  Maintenance after 30+ years?  One fuse.

Sure wish I had the cover that went over the amp still.
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

whippinpost91850

Alien, I'll check and see if I have a JC120 cover leftover in my basement. I have a Studio Slips cover for my CLR, I'm sure they could make you one and they're great covers. Paul

Matteo Barducci

I don't understand if the new JC-40 has a full stereo fx loop. I notice only a mono send and a stereo return...
--

---> Matteo Barducci

kenact

I'd like a 120, but I'd want to run the guitar out through the amp and the GR-55 stereo out tothe rear, unfortunately, that cuts out the pre-amp, and the guitar with it. :(
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

Headless68

Me too - was hoping to put the preamp in the VG-99 guitar in loop but it cuts off when you insert into the power amp direct, it's a shame as the straight sound with the built in chorus is sooooo nice

Graham G

I've tried to answer this question by reading the Website etc,but failed again,in the blurb it states 40 watts stereo,does anybody know(Elantric ;)) if that's 2x40 or 2x20 ?
Stereo is usually quoted as watts per channel,but the general belief on other forums is,in the case of the JC40,it's 2x20 not 2x40.
Graham.

Elantric

20 watts RMS Into 10" speaker times two.

When chorus engaged, One side has vibrato while other has dry direct sound = classic stereo chorus sound.
Roland loves to be vague

rrayborn

So far, this amp looks completely awesome for home/studio/practice use, and I plan to get one.   The open-backed cabinet may be suboptimal for loud, live synth performances, but I would expect that, anyway, given its size.

I've sold (in semi-disgust) every single amplifier I've ever owned except the VGA-7.  This one will fill a niche for me., and I imagine for others.

nervoteso

just got the new roland jc40, really impressive!!! it sounds amazing. true stereo amp! i already have a jc120 and i'm about to sell it to get an other jc40 (i don't play live). also the distortion is finally good. for me, it sounds better then jc120, i mean, for what i need (play at home), it's the ideal. also it has not the noisy issue of jc120, even if it is not noiseless, but not noisy as jc120.