Author Topic: Godin LGX-SA / LGXT  (Read 49412 times)

Offline Elantric

Re: Godin LGX-SA / LGXT
« Reply #325 on: June 17, 2017, 04:06:20 PM »

On a bit of a different issue... when using patches on the GR-55 that involve my normal PU, for some reason I get a bit of buzzing whenever I lift my fingers off the string... not string buzzes or vibration, but it's definitely electronic. Not enough to pose a problem while playing, but something that I can notice and is a bit of a bother to my own ears. When I put my fingers on the strings and start playing, it sounds beautiful... soon as I stop touching the strings, however, it comes back. any thoughts as to what this could possibly be?

90% of my guitars do that too - its due to locale EMI / EMF fields

your body is mostly water and a good electrical conductor . and makes less noise when properly earth grounded  = which occurs when you touch the strings which are also earth grounded

Often the noise is reduced if you rotate your whole body 90 degrees - in other words - if you experience hum when facing north - rotate your body to face west or east to reduce hum.

https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/7491/noise-while-not-touching-guitar-strings-or-metal-parts

https://music.stackexchange.com/questions/15878/pickups-and-selector-switch-stop-buzzing-when-touched/15879#15879

That is normal.

The strings are earthed so when you touch them your body becomes earthed and no longer acts as an antennae and electrical hum is reduced.

Nearly every other conductive part on a guitar should also be earthed for noise reduction reasons.

If a part isn't earthed and you touch it (while not touching something that is earthed..) the hum will generally increase.

If the hum reduction when touching the pups/selector still occurs when you are already touching the strings that would imply your strings are not earthed. Most guitars  run a wire from one of the bridge post holes to earth - to earth ground the strings, so your body will be grounded.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2017, 04:12:08 PM by Elantric »

Offline blindjammer2015

« Reply #326 on: June 17, 2017, 04:52:04 PM »
Odd that this only happens with the 13 pin output, though, isn't it? When I plug directly into a standard guitar rig of peddles and an amp just using the normal magnetic pickups it doesn't happen. Thanks for the explanation though. Never been much of a science guy but it's interesting to know this for sure. Still love my Godin... my next guitar is probably going to be from them as well if I can afford it!

Offline tomFromNextWeek

« Reply #327 on: August 29, 2017, 03:54:59 PM »
Hi Guys

Just bought a used LGXT, and I'm still getting used to it (previous guitar was a Pignose PGG-200, so this is a big step up), and your site has been invaluable in providing info.
I was told by Godin that although the trem arm is a 6mm threaded screw-in type, I would only be able to use Godin's own. Has anyone used an aftermarket trem arm successfully?
There are two adjustable allen screws either side of the trem unit, but I can't work out what they are supposed to do.
Godin CS say they are to fix the bridge into the body's support posts, but why make them adjustable?

Sorry if I sound like a daftie, but I don't want to endanger my guitar's health with reckless screw-turning.

Thanks, Tom

Offline tomFromNextWeek

« Reply #329 on: October 14, 2017, 10:46:39 AM »
Hi

The mahogany neck on my 2012 LGXT has lost its smooth satin finish, and I was hoping to give it a light sanding to restore the original finish. Can anyone advise?

Thanks, Tom

Offline kenact

• Rating: 8
  • I'm neither Right nor Left, I'm in the MIDI
« Reply #330 on: October 14, 2017, 11:13:30 AM »
Hi

The mahogany neck on my 2012 LGXT has lost its smooth satin finish, and I was hoping to give it a light sanding to restore the original finish. Can anyone advise?

Thanks, Tom

What do you mean by "lost"? All of my Godin's have a satin finish, but all appear to be gloss, because of how much they get played.
Godin Session Custom FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline 1 PROTOTYPE, A12, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats, Twin Reverb
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Seagull 12
VOX Phantom XII
Roland GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, VP-7, US-20
and soon Sentient Six
MORE

Offline tomFromNextWeek

« Reply #331 on: October 14, 2017, 03:23:13 PM »
Sorry, should have clarified a bit. It's due to playing, but I'd like to get it back to the really smooth finish, which makes it easier to play.
There's also some shallow dings which could be removed by sanding.

Tom

Blog