Godin LGX-SA / LGXT

Started by feloniouspunk, February 01, 2008, 08:04:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ericmeyer

Can someone help me with the best settings for a Godin LGX-SA?  If someone could post them or direct me to them I would greatly appreciate the help.

Eric

feloniouspunk

What type of system does your LGX-SA have,  RMC or LR Baggs?  Are you having sound issues?  I am guessing so since you posted. What's happening? Also, there is a mod made by RMC.  Its called the subsonic filter.  More info can be found here:

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,568.0.html

Also make sure you have the latest firmware for the VG-99.  V. 1.04.  This update was created especially for piezo users.  Be specific to what you are experiencing and we can help you out.

Chris
Lots of Gear. :)

ericmeyer

Thank you for replying.  The first thing I need to correct is that my guitar is the Godin xtSA.  Second, the MIDI system is RMC custom Poly-Drive
system.  I'm having some tracking issues and I am having issues with false random harmonics behind the 5th fret (frets 1 - 5).  Also, when I try to trigger a synth it seems to be off. 

One additional question I have is how to deal with the "buzzy" nature of the distortions for hi gain amps.

Your help is greatly appreciated.

feloniouspunk

You problems would most likely be solved with the subsonic filter made by RMC.

stratman67

Hi,
     I'm considering the purchase of the VG-99.  I recently took my Godin LGX-SA to Guitar Center to put the VG though it's paces and came to find out that the overtones that have been mentioned here are evident on my guitar as well.  I selected the proper pickup setting, mine being an LR Baggs, and noticed that when I played in a percussive manner or attacked the strings aggressively that a high pitched, microphonic ring was easily heard.  After trying a cheap, crappy Strat that they had rigged up with a GK-3 pickup I noticed that this overtone was not present.  Not even close to being an issue.  The overall sound of the unit did change slightly, it became a little more mid-rangey and honky, but no weird sounds.  After plugging my Godin back in I noticed that if I held the palm of my picking hand on the strings, just behind the bridge, the ring went away.  The LR Baggs system seems to be very hot and picks up anything and everything that's going on along the stringpath.  Does anyone know if there is a setting in the VG to reduce the input or output level of the pickup in order to eliminate this problem ?  From the looks of it, I'm not the only one with this issue.  Thanks in advance. 

dhaiphi

Quote from:  stratman67 on December 29, 2008, 03:36:33 PM
From the looks of it, I'm not the only one with this issue.  
Sure, you're NOT the only one.  :lol:
I have a guitar with a GK2A and a Godin LGX SA with RMC pickup.
Naturally, I have the same problems (noisy and weird sounds) but unlike many people, I think the "sound" is better (not mid-rangey and honky) than using the GK2A.  ???

Elantric

Most "happy" Godin LGX-SA VG users dampen the strings between the Bridge and the tailpiece. Use foam rubber.

read more here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,458.0.html

RMC says:
"Also note that tune-o-matic bridges are notorious for resonating at a
high-frequency in a front-to-back pendulum mode. This results in a
distinctive ringing which can be heard by tapping the front face of the
bridge with a metallic object even if the string segments are damped,
and won't disappear unless the middle of the bridge is blocked
mechanically with a suitable damping support (like a hardwood block).
"

Gatormike

Being a frustrated LGX-SA owner (LR Baggs) with the sound quality when using my VG-99, and having contemplated spending major bucks to build a quality roland-ready FrankenStrat, I attempted the muting of the strings behind the bridge solution with skepticism last weekend.  Results:  WOW, this made a total difference and I could not be more happy.  Candidly, I think it now sounds better than my GK2a on my strat.  To my ears, I am getting more realistic modeling sounds on the guitar models now.  I would recommend any LGX-SA owner (regardless of piezo type) give this a try.

Foam rubber was suggested, but I went another route... I bought a $3 toy monkey made of rubber at the mall, cut one of its arms off with an exacto knife, and threaded it through the strings behind the bridge.  I'm now scouring home depot to find a more "aesthetic" looking alternative material; perhaps some tennis string dampers may also work well (I'm looking at those too and will post any good fits for consideraton). 

Again, this made a total world of difference in improvement of VG sound quality when using my personal favorite axe and I could not now be more satisfied with the VG purchase.  Now, I just got to get off my lazy ass and get working with the FC-300 (being a midi-novice; that device and the anticipated programming complexity scares the crap out of me)!   :o

feloniouspunk

Mike-

Glad things are sounding better for you.  Let me know what you settle on for a damper.  I have been using some foam and I have not been too happy with the results.  Are you also damping after the nut?

Gatormike

Nope, I've not been damping up above the nut.  Maybe I'll cut the rubber monkey's other arm off and try that too??   ;D  Seriously, I noted such a marked difference by damping behind the bridge that I honestly do not think damping up at the nut will provide additional gains, but I'll try to experiment and let you know.  The rubber material that I am using is almost like a super/rubber ball that you'd get out of the gumball machines when you were a kid; only more pliable.  I think the strings may ultimately cut through the current "damper" so that's why I am looking for other options.  I think that foam is just not dense enough.  The rubber interweaved through the strings seems to really bite into the string and prevent more damping.  Peace for now.  Mike 

feloniouspunk

Heading to Home Depot is probably the best idea.  I'll head out there tomorrow and see what I can find.

acousticglue

Has anyone tapped around on the body of the LGX-sa and found that the sounds are highly transferrable to the patch and being picked up?

Elantric

Its typical of any Piezo GK 13 pin pickup guitar

The RMC VG-99 Hi pass subsonic filter board helps minimize this

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php/topic,568.0.html

If you are using with GR-55 - read these threads
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7527.0

https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3912.0

aroide

I have a 1998 LGX-SA which has the LR Baggs transducers and amp board.  I've never really like the piezo sound... very 'piezoey' and not very acoustic sounding.  Also, I've had the quacks and squeeks through a VG-88.  I've read that the Baggs piezos are vertically under compression and the RMC is horizontal and not compressed, making a big difference in reducing the piezo harshness.

After lots of reading and discussion, I'm switching to the RMC transducers and electronics which have a MUCH more natural sounding piezo.  I ordered the power bridge G and polydrive X from RMC and will retrofit myself when it arrives.  Stay tuned for a before/after comparison.

feloniouspunk

Interesting.  How much did all of that cost you?  I'm happy with the baggs, although I have not compared it to any other systems.  So I don't really know.  I will wait for your report.  Thanks for sharing.

Edit:  Do you have the RMC subsonic filter and the latest firmware (1.04)?

germanicus

For what its worth I picked up a brand new LGXT a few months ago, which includes an rmc polydrive x. Using the piezo settings included in the 1.04 update, Im able to get a very balanced sound and im not using an RMC subsonic filter. Oddly enough I used to have a Godin xtSA which I believe also had the polydrive x, but was much less amenable for use with the vg99 (was way too boomy). Not sure if the polydrive changed at all over the years or my xtsa had a particularly 'bad' one, but the difference was surprising. The LGXT itself is amazing, its my goto guitar for gigs now.
My albums done with modeling/guitar synth at http://music.steamtheory.com

JTV69/59P/Godin LGXT/Multiac ACS/Variax 700 AC
Helix/FTP/GP10/VG99/SY1000
Traynor k4

feloniouspunk

My LGX-SA is an amazing guitar too.  I love it.  It is probably the best guitar I have owned.  It does not have the RMC polydrive, but to me it sounds great through the VG-99.  Granted I have nothing to really compare it to other than Bill's amazing videos, but I am very happy with what I have.  I did purchase and install the RMC subsonic filter and would recommend it.

aroide

I just completed my conversion from L.R Baggs to RMC pickups and electronics.  Way too early to do an analysis, but all my pickups are working correctly still  ;D.  The project was more than I was expecting (not for the faint of heart DIY).  I had to DRILL a pot hole larger in my baby... scary, but it worked out well.

Even with the strings still stretching, the piezos sound FANTASTIC compared to the LR Baggs I had.  Not at all piezoey, but warm and nice.  The RMC pickups have some heavy duty bass by default (tone controls flat).  I'll have to play around.  Will do a full report out when I get a chance.

Richard was great supporting me with questions and details (things like having to re-wire my Seymour Duncans to reverse phase so they will be in phase with the RMC piezos).

Elantric

See this thread for more info on Piezo bridge  Foam rubber string damper - between the Bridge and the tailpiece.

Read the full Godin LGX thread here
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=142.0

You will probably be OK - but add foam string mutes  -these were added to all Godin LGX-SA after 2009
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=653.0

And  budget a 13 pin a sub filter solution,  as it will provide improved tracking when using a piezo equipped guitar with GR-55 Guitar to PCM, Guitar to MIDI, and improved usability (less palm handling noise if you touch the bridge during the GR-55's GR-300 COSM emulation. 

many exist

* RMC OPT-01 Internal sub filter for GR-55
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3236.0

* PrimovaSound GKFX-21 external sub filter unit
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15681.0

* Wayne Joness GK Sub Filter/buffer external unit
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=9692.0

sigod

Hello all

I've just purchased a Godin LGX-SA which I'm due to pick up next week. The guitar shop in question happily has an in house luthier and I'm about to enter into some discussion with him via email about having the guitar set up for a heavier string gauge. I'm looking at 11-48s or maybe even 11-54s as I'm primarily an acoustic/rhythm player and like the tone/tuning stabilty that heavier gauge strings provide on stage.

My question is this: are there any players out there who regularly use heavy gauge strings on a LGX-SA and how that has impacted upon the intrument e.g. neck adjustment, the nut, etc over the long term? Additionally, have people noticed any improvement or degredation to the synth tracking as a result of using heavier strings?

Any advice would be most appreciated as this will be the first time I will be employing heavy gauge strings on an electric.
Roland: GK-3/VG-99/FC-300/GR-20/JC-120
Fender: '97 Mex Strat
Misc: Fingers/Imagination

kenact

Just as a general rule of thumb, light top/heavy bottom strings will twist a neck over time.  I think there are a couple of dual-rod guitar necks out there that attempt to compensate for that, but Godin doesn't make one.

As far as the tracking of heavier gauge strings, there are plenty of folks in the forum that are better equipped to answer that.

FYI, I own an LGXT, Redline, A4SA & A12 from Godin.  I love 'em.
Godin Session & Montreal FTP, LGXT, LGX SA, Redline, ACS, A12, A11, A10, A4
Danoblaster Baritone w/GK-3
Gretsch Nashville, Viking
Fender Strats
Fret King Supermatic
Larrivee DV03RE
Parker Midi Fly
Seagull, S&P 12
VOX Phantom XII
GR-55, 33, 30, 20, GI-20, RC-50, US-20, VG-99, VP-7
Sentient 6
Cyr 7

sigod

Many thanks for the info kenact, it's much appreciated. I'll keep what you have to say about the light top/heavy bottom strings in mind when I get a chance to have a longer chat with the luthier.

Sedgewick

I have been using 0.010" - 0.046" Elixirs on my XTSA for a few years now.  It originally had a set of 0.011's when I bougtht it used.  Other than tweaking the truss rod when I changed down, I haven't had any neck issues.  For a short time, I tried 0.009's but seemed to get too many "ghost notes" with the lighter strings.

sigod

That's good to know Sedgewick. I suspected there wouldn't be any real issues as long as the truss rod is adjusted correctly but like Kenact, it's nice to hear the info from someone who's had direct experience of using heavier gauge strings.

motetito

Hi, Im a LGXT user and i play fusion.
I been using 0.11 for a couple of months couse i was searching a better sound on the gr55 and the guitar sound itself (the PU are ideal for heavy gauges couse they can absorb! the whole rich and complex tone that the strings give.... you now, seymour jazz III is a great humbucking).
For me, was a great change couse i have my guitar setting for a 0.10 gauge and the bridge was set up in total contact with the wood and when i changed the strings , my tremolo bridge due to the tension, now its set up like a flotating brigde giving me more game and stability in tunning but without changing significantly the action (im in the medium/high range of action). But the real deal is the sound so, i can say that now, i can play with a tridimensional control of the sound couse the range of tone from my new strings is huge and i can control the texture and body of the sound with  minimum changes in the way i use my fingers o pick.
In other words, 0.11 give me a better and richier range of sounds tan the 0.10 and the godin LGXT fit perfectly with the strings even without effects, amps sims, etc. And with the gr55 i have now less gost notes couse the definition of the sound.
Menos es más...Tocá con el corazón.