The original Les Paul guitar goes up for auction -(POST PIC OF YOUR LP!)

Started by Elantric, February 04, 2015, 03:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/01/31/us-music-auction-guitar-idUSKBN0L32EX20150131

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/original-les-paul-guitar-goes-auction-1485949
http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/tv/embed/13433
Owning a piece of rock and roll history is now possible as the very first Les Paul guitar is scheduled to hit the auction block.

On February 19, Guernsey's in New York City will sell the priceless instrument known as "Black Beauty."

"Auctions are unpredictable events and just when you say, 'well, I've been doing this a long time so I should know what this will bring,' I know that I don't know. Because there is no precedent to point to. If this were the third or the fourth or the fifth like it and one or two others have been sold at auction, than you say, 'ok, before one like it brought X amount of dollars,' but that isn't the case. So it's anyone's guess," said Guernsey's president Arlan Ettinger.

The guitar which Paul developed with Gibson, took 2 years to make.

"Referred to as 'Black Beauty' it was sent to him in 1954. Originally it had different hardware, different attachments to it. The pickguard looked a little different. But through the next 20 years it evolved as he was always experimenting to get new sounds and to maximum the excitement of what he had created. This electric sound which really, many people suggest gave birth to rock and roll. That without this instrument would there be rock and roll today, it's that important."

After Paul perfected the instrument it became known as the "Holy Grail" of guitars.

"It was the first Les Paul guitar made by Mr. Paul, Les Paul, that gave birth to the thousands and thousands of instruments that bare that name and that resemble this instrument. Used by everyone from people who like to play in their bedroom to the leading entertainers of the last half century."

Ettinger says while the instrument doesn't carry rare or expensive features, the history behind the guitar is what makes it special.

"Is it the most beautiful guitar ever made, clearly not. Is the wood any finer than the wood you could get at a good guitar shop today, probably not. But it's not about that, it's about this being the pioneering effort that made a difference, that changed the world in terms of music."

Also included in the 15 lot sale is Chet Atkin's prototype guitar, which Paul helped the musician develop.

Smaller items include Paul's studio equipment, handwritten set list notes and microphones.

Mrchevy

<
         <
    <                                 
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
    <
         < 
               <

Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

And, a lot of stuff I DON'T need

Mrchevy

Ironically enough, I happen to have a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck (bridge) JAZZ (neck) combo I put in mine. absolutely love them. Do you still have that Les Paul? That is sweeeeet ! By the way, my avatar pic is a family photo idea I had. The hands are mine, my wife, and my daughter. It was the only time they have ever been allowed to touch the "Ox", as I call it. It's the Ox blood finish, another Jeff Beck reference, though it's not a Jeff Beck signature Les Paul.
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Elantric

QuoteI happen to have a Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck (bridge) JAZZ (neck) combo I put in mine. absolutely love them. Do you still have that Les Paul?
It was 40 years ago today . . . . (yikes!)

Ironically yes  - its 1973 Gibson Les Paul Standard, built in Kalamazoo, Michigan   ( I was shopping store to store all over Chicago area for a Stratocaster when I stumbled on it. Purchased at Baldwin Piano & Organ Center store inside OakBrook Center shopping Mall LaGrange, Illinois,  - Main guitar for years. For a while I had Dimarzio Dual Sounds PUs.  When I worked at Valley Arts I replaced the PUs again with a 1980 Schecter Z-plus (under chrome cover) in the Neck position, and a 1982 Seymour Duncan JB in the Bridge position. - It has unusual wiring -   

scene inside my inventing shed

Elantric

Have to include Forrestcats
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=13503.msg99300#msg99300

This guitar requires a fairly substantial rack & at least a laptop to even play a note, and I'd never bring it out for a small gig.  I've had it since 1974, been "building" it ever since, and it is, in a word, irreplaceable.  What I'm doing is "virtualizing" the h/w controls on the 'Paul into another ipodTouch for use on my other guitars for the live gigs I was talking about.  So no, we're not talking about an iPad on a stand.  This is an integral part of the instrument itself, and yes, needs to be wireless, since the 30 pin dock connector is too easy to knock loose.

On a positive note, just got done corresponding w/ the ML programmer, and I _think_ I've got the ML sending OSC on udp port 8000.  A cautious "yeeeehaaah!" is in order...

papabuss

Nice photos from now and then, Steve.

There's no difference, (except for the background). ;)
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

Elantric

QuoteNice photos from now and then, Steve.

There's no difference, (except for the background).

Steve Conrad (Elantric) mid 1970s'

(Photo Credit: Harold Naideau     http://naideauphoto.com  )

Technical folks might notice that by 1975, my own Guitar Rig of choice (sitting on the couch behind me in pic above)

* 1964 Fender Champ Amp, (hidden behind a pillow, only the lower right front grill cloth is exposed ) (with my own Line Output mod) to feed the input on

* 1974 Ampeg VT-40 (tilted at angle behind me) 

Imagine my surprise when recently (Courtesy of Youtube) i discover that Jeff Beck used essentially the same rig for his 1975 Blow by Blow Album
(We never saw this 1974 Jeff Beck Rig Rundown Video here in the USA until 5 year ago) 

Brent Flash

Looks like we are putting pics of our LPs on this thread. Mine (1976 Custom) and still have it.

papabuss

Quote from: papabuss on February 05, 2015, 11:13:15 AM
Nice photos from now and then, Steve.

There's no difference, (except for the background). ;)
This is meant as a compliment for YOU.  :)
FENDER STRATOCASTER (1974); BRIAN MAY RED SPECIAL; VG 99; GR 55; Yamaha DX 7

Music was my first love and it will be my last (JOHN MILES)

CodeSmart

Hm, can't make my mind up if this is bad ass ugly or not...
Anyhow did it with some hobby paint  8)
Going to put some clear varnish on tomorrow.

But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Elantric

THANKS PAPABUSS!

and

Brent,
Great Photo !

and

Codesmart,

I love it - what a clever way  to hide the GK-3 "Borg wart!!

supernicd

Hehe, I don't know what I think of that either, @Codesmart.  You did a really nice job with it as far as that goes.

In the up close shot, due to the color scheme you had to use to match the sunburst, it kind of looks like something very rusty was leaking onto it for a while.  The varnish will probably help with that, though.  Further back, it does sort of have the effect of making the GK-3 wart fade into the guitar.  And under some stage lights it might just more or less vanish.

Great idea!  Very clever. :)  I have been unwilling to add a GK-3 to my Epiphone, as of yet, for just this reason.

Strat w/ GK-3, Godin LGXT
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10
---------------------------------------------------------------

Elantric

QuoteIn the up close shot, due to the color scheme you had to use to match the sunburst, it kind of looks like something very rusty was leaking onto it for a while.  The varnish will probably help with that, though.  Further back, it does sort of have the effect of making the GK-3 wart fade into the guitar.  And under some stage lights it might just more or less vanish.

Of course This looks better from 20 feet away  ;) (Like most of us these days!)

supernicd

Quote from: Elantric on February 05, 2015, 02:27:15 PM
Of course This looks better from 20 feet away  ;) (Like most of us these days!)

Ha!  Yes, they say a camera adds 10 pounds.  I count on good stage lighting to shave off 10-20 years! :)
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

CodeSmart

Thanks, I will elaborate a little more with my LP hyper stealth GK and see if I can improve the finish.
I guess a paint shop guy with a small spray tool could do something like this much better. I just used a brush. Another approach would be to take a piece of an actual photo of the area, scale 1:1 and somehow glue it onto the GK and then make it permanent with a layer of clear vanish. Just a thought....
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

supernicd

Quote from: CodeSmart on February 05, 2015, 03:52:27 PM
Thanks, I will elaborate a little more with my LP hyper stealth GK and see if I can improve the finish.
I guess a paint shop guy with a small spray tool could do something like this much better. I just used a brush. Another approach would be to take a piece of an actual photo of the area, scale 1:1 and somehow glue it onto the GK and then make it permanent with a layer of clear vanish. Just a thought....

I don't really see anything wrong with your workmanship.  You did an excellent job of matching it up with a brush.  I really think it is the current flat finish of the GK-3 vs. the high gloss finish of the LP that is causing a little discontinuity in the close-up.  Hopefully the varnish will true them up.  I'd really like to see a pic after you apply the varnish!
VG-99, GR-55, GP-10

whippinpost91850

Have to agree with SuperNiCd I think the gloss finish will make all the difference in the world

Mrchevy

Been meaning to post a pic of my first Les Paul and current one. I don't have the first one any more (don't have the hair either). It was an Alpine Studio that I modified with EMG pickups and replaced the junk electronics with the good stuff. Played it thru a Rockman XP-100 into 2 Jackson 212 cabinets (stereo). One rig I wish I still had. Every since I got the Frampton Comes Alive album back in the 70's, I always wanted a Les Paul Custom. The day finally came in 2008. I went in wanting to buy the Ebony LPC. It wasn't till after I decided on the guitar that spoke to me that the salesman told me it was the "Ox Blood" not the ebony. Couldn't tell until we took it outside in the sun and saw the deep red tint in the color. For 30 some years, it was the Ebony LPC Peter Frampton played that I dreamed of having, but at that point in time I realized, this is "my" LPC. And so it was. It has been a marriage of total bliss and she has been my second wife every since.......minus the nagging  ;) . I have since removed the stock pickups and put in the Seymour Duncan Jeff Beck (bridge), and Jazz (neck). Due to the fact that I smoke in my studio (I know, shame on me), the clear has yellowed, and while it doesn't show on the color, the inlays and binding has taken on what is actually a beautiful golden aged look. My wife and daughter think they will be sold before the "OX" goes. Not true, but I let them think so.  ;D
Gibson Les Paul Custom
Epi Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG 50's prototype
Squire classic vibe 60's
Epi LP Modern
Epi SG Custom
Martin acoustic

Princeton chorus 210

GT100
GR-55
Helix LT
Waza Air Headphones
Boomerang III

Elantric

Les Paul and Mary Ford on Alistair Cooke's "Omnibus" (10/23/1953) demonstrating their recording techniques.

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/22646-celebrating-les-paul-the-story-of-a-jersey-cops-unlikely-friendship-with-a-legend

alexmcginness

VG-88V2, GR-50, GR-55, 4 X VG-99s,2 X FC-300,  2 X GP-10 AXON AX 100 MKII, FISHMAN TRIPLE PLAY,MIDX-10, MIDX-20, AVID 11 RACK, BEHRINGER FCB 1010, LIVID GUITAR WING, ROLAND US-20, 3 X GUYATONE TO-2. MARSHALL BLUESBREAKER, SERBIAN ELIMINATOR AMP. GR-33.