PRIMOVA - GKPX-14 a smarter GKP-4 clone/4 channel GK distribution box

Started by CodeSmart, August 06, 2014, 10:50:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CodeSmart

I try to have email correspondence structured but it's not easy to maintain. I'm bad at it  ::)

So, I'm informing this way I just got a bunch of components today so I can start ship the "F" (Filter) version again. You don't have to wait to mid January in case I told you so. So if X-mas didn't drain your secret GAS account dry, contact me and I ship right away  :D
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Bryan

Number 13 arrived today!

Just in time for my NYE gig tonight. Can't wait to give it a full trial run.

Thanks for the great product and service.

You rock Robert!!

CodeSmart

I've just soldered a few last boards for my remaining enclosures. This little computerized GK switcher has been a great success bought by a lot of guys all over the globe without a single complaint or problem. I thank Bill Ruppert for inspiring me and other prominent Guitar players like Vernon and others for purchasing it.

After these last few available now there will be a break due to my other new projects taking all available time. Furthermore the War Department dictates I need to complete the new room in the basement for all my "stuff" (read spare amps, tools and guitar related things). It's just all concrete now and need paint, floor tiles, ceiling, heating and electric power etc.  ::)

So.... if you ever thought about getting one of those small smart yellow GK distribution/switching boxes, now it's time to grab one of the last 8)
E-mail sound@primova.se

gumbo

"Furthermore the War Department dictates I need to complete the new room in the basement for all my "stuff" (read spare amps, tools and guitar related things). It's just all concrete now and need paint, floor tiles, ceiling, heating and electric power etc.  ::)"

..Boy this is getting familiar!!    ::)

Enjoy the break Robert..

..stay warm..   ;)

Peter
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

CodeSmart

All units are gone now. It's spring time and I can do other things than packing and shipping during weekends. I did this because it was fun, but at a certain volume it started become a second job. Time will tell if there will be another round. We'll see. Thanks to all of you. I'll be back.

yellow napkins

Hi,

damn, i missed this one.
if you will ever build another GKPX-14, i would be very happy to purchase one.

VG-8, VG-99, ATG-1, GP-10, SY-1000, Kemper

Tonato

This is really interesting...

I have 3 GK gutiars that I want to use live connected to 4 GK units.

I'd like to switch between the guitars and units with  foot switches.

Do you produce something like that? I am based in London and would love to get one of those to start using them live and even for a better workflow in my studio.

Many thanks and look forward to hear from you!

CodeSmart

Quote from: Tonato on March 25, 2015, 05:46:00 AM
This is really interesting...

I have 3 GK gutiars that I want to use live connected to 4 GK units.

I'd like to switch between the guitars and units with  foot switches.

Do you produce something like that? I am based in London and would love to get one of those to start using them live and even for a better workflow in my studio.

Many thanks and look forward to hear from you!

Yup, working in it.
I gave up the GKMX-14 production for a while to get some slack for developing new stuff. You'll probably see new guitar switchers and true/full hex synth switchers soon. Just give me some time. Busting my balls on daytime job as well. Please hang in there for a couple of months. All stuff I've done the recent years was done off work hours. So there's limitations (according to war department). 8)
I would guess August/September for new interesting stuff.

whippinpost91850

Looking forward to it. Glad you're still working on the GK switching stuff

Tonato

Your work gives me/us hope.

Keep that going please!

I will PM you as well. I've seen you live in Sweden. I live in London so not far.

On the other hand,  I know that these products are really specific, but I use to work full time in a music shop at Denmark Street (street in London with many music shops). I still work there eventually part time. I know all the guys/managers from the other music shops and some of the dealers as well.

Maybe I could eventually give you a hand promoting your stuff around here in London! We could see when the time comes...

Thanks!

Toni

Headless68

Finally! I have one!
Thanks Pierre for the deal & to Robert for a brilliant little device

First play with 99 & 8 together - awesome!
:-)
Headless

Headless68

I have no idea why the forum spins my pics around - they dont look like that at my end :-)

gumbo

Quote from: Headless68 on June 24, 2015, 05:42:28 AM
I have no idea why the forum spins my pics around - they dont look like that at my end :-)

...I thought it was just a Northern Hemisphere thing... :o
Read slower!!!   ....I'm typing as fast as I can...

Pete1959

Quote from: Headless68 on June 24, 2015, 05:41:08 AM
Finally! I have one!
Thanks Pierre for the deal & to Robert for a brilliant little device

First play with 99 & 8 together - awesome!
:-)
Headless
Great to see you received it rather quickly.. :-)
Nice to see it has a good home.
Enjoy!

CodeSmart

I'll be building a few new units.

Received the raw enclosures today.
Soon drilling-time in the garage again ;D

Headless68

I think alot of people (self included) are very grateful for your creations Robert :-)

Headless

CodeSmart

Thank you Headless68. I'm Building abt. 10 new GKPX-14.
PCB's and enclosures are here. Ordering components now. Aiming at completion in August.
Same design as before. Perhaps a new color...we'll see.

CodeSmart

It will be 25+ GKPX-14 and 25+ GKFX-21 units soon. Drilled a freaking amount of holes, abt 650 ranging from 3mm to 16 mm in Alu enclosures yesterday and today, pretty utterly boring actually. I hope you don't buy these units. I want to keep them in stock forever. I never want to drill a single hole again ::)  Calling the painting guy tomorrow to see if he can put on some nice metallic paint 8)

CodeSmart

Now I got plenty of nice looking enclosures and plenty of components and boards. Only logistic problem is to find time for soldering the boards and mount the stuff  ::)

gumtown

You are going to need to clone yourself, or make a time machine to slow down time around you.
;D  :) :-* :-[ ::) ??? :D :) :-* :P :P >:( :o :o 8) ::) 8) ;) ;) :)
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

sixeight

What would it cost to outsource production to China? Or is this something that does not save any time in the long run? It is something I gave some thought but never really pursued when Elantric asked about a small production run of the V-Controller.

CodeSmart

Quote from: sixeight on September 07, 2015, 05:05:20 AM
What would it cost to outsource production to China? Or is this something that does not save any time in the long run? It is something I gave some thought but never really pursued when Elantric asked about a small production run of the V-Controller.
First of all you have to have design the unit in such a way you avoid as much off board soldering (wires) as possible. Mount virtually everything on boards (I have not fully succeeded in this either) but I'm struggling in that direction. All to cut production time.

Even in China producing stuff require a significant number of units. I guess 100+
Perhaps Elantric knows the break even number for automatic mounting of PCB boards.

Also be prepared for a lot of paperwork, drawings, component lists, specifications etc.
Then you have the CE, FCC mark to deal with. Scary expensive stuff for us hobby engineers.

CodeSmart

Had a few boards and things laying around the house so me and my visiting violin playing/composer daughter joined forces and put this box of candy together tonight in front of the TV. After a formal test run they will be leaving the house soon (mostly GKPX-14).

She's a real expert in screw driving and rubber feet mounting.

CodeSmart

Finally managed to clear the waiting list for GKPX-14  :P
I got two new GKPX-14 with or without Subsonic filter collecting dust if someone is interested.
It allows you to use and control up to four GK synths giving a huge sound. It's a 2x US-20 or GKP-4 clone.

The manual tells what it does:
http://www.primovasound.com/pdf/GKPX14_Manual.pdf

E-mail sound@primova.se if interested.

CodeSmart

I have a question to Elantric and other knowledgeable guys here...

I have a customer connecting a GR-20 in parallel with GP-10 using this GKP-4 clone (GKPX-14). And he has problem with the sound of the GP-10 when the GR-20 is connected. I can swear this unit worked well with GR-55 + GP-10 when shipping. (I don't have a GR-20)

Question: Is there something special/different with GR-20 hex input stage impedance etc. compared to more recent Roland/Boss gear?

Thanks
CodeSmart