Roland Blues Cubes

Started by pycraft, July 17, 2014, 08:27:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

alancarl

Here is another attempt to get a look at the PCBs of my Blues Cube Artist...
In this case Steve asked for a look at the Tone Capsule Board.
In order to really see the component IC's and their numbers I will have to do a lot of disassembly and zip tie cutting...for now this is it...

On the question of what these amps are made of so to speak I have always assumed that the new Blues Cube amps are COSM throughout which is how Roland is able to fairly successfully recreate the feel and sound of the amps of the tweed era... Now it's not a '59 Bassman but I have found the experience of playing this amp is very good..It seems to make the gig go easier as the night goes on somehow:-)

I am sure I will get tired of looking at my lame pics and take this puppy apart but it will have to wait for a little gap in the excitement of shows!
Thanks and have fun!
Al

Elantric

Thank you!

On PCB above, I see what could possibly be array of eight discreet FET transistors. It's possible a large part of the Blues Cube preamp is discreet FET.

Like these:

and the Tone Capsule 9 pin socket ( same as 12AX7A) is close on same PCB here:

It supports a bipolar 24V power rails , same as the front end to the  old 1996 era Roland Blues Cubes ( BC-30 / BC-60) below

KeldAmpworks

I'd say a FET preamp is likely, given the lineage - the older BC's were FET preamp. And of course roland have 'form' for great sounding discrete FET distortion in the Boss BD-2. Is this board near/connected to the input jack?

There's also a shedload of not fit electro caps on the left hand side there - suggesting that they use the same board for different BC models maybe?

Look forward to seeing other pics as they come out.

Great sounding amp.

alancarl

I'd like to add another thought I had about the BC amps.
I had the idea that these Amps have a substantial analog front end... Kinda like the 'mic pre' in front of a digital recorder chain to 'warm up' the results. At first back in the ADAT days I rejected this concept when an online music store salesman told me I 'have' to be using a fancy(expensive) mic pre with my ADATS... as though the system would not actually record anything without it :-0

I am a believer now in the importance of the analog front end in a digital system. I have a Midas M32R and I have done double blind listening tests and the Midas pres are stellar compared to the simpler front ends that are used by the lesser expensive digital boards.
The headroom and then the transition into non-linear timbres are worth the upgrade!

So for Roland to juice up the signal chain with FETs and other analog goodies makes total sense to me.
Thanks for the volley of hypotheses!
Al

Elantric

I'm told by Roland the Tone Capsules are a hybrid design,  Analog Discrete FET design, along with some firmware for the Blues Cube DSP.

Essentially this FET front end provides greater dynamic range   But lessons learned during Blues Cube development were applied to Katana ( Katana uses DSP )

alancarl

Thanks for the clarification Steve.
Do you think you will be able to tell from better pics if the BC Artist is actually analog from input to speaker?

I did measure the input to output time when I first copped the amp and I do remember a very slight offset implying inline DSP.
The mention from Roland of multiple compression curves throughout and the overall sound still leads me to believe that there is at least some EQ and compression tweaking the straight sound.

I must say that Roland really has my ear(and wallet!) these days with the results of their recent hybrid COSM Etc products!
I was an early adopter of the original VG-8 and that box payed for itself many times over:-)
It served quite well for the national TV and Radio spots as I could show up with my strat and VG-8 and QUICKLY  bring fourth any guitar/amp combo.
Quite useful and novel too if the client happened to show up:-)
Well and now the gear sounds so good!
I do miss the version 2 tweak ability though:-0
That part is mostly overlooked by most manufactures.... Now everything needs to be done with one virtual knob:-0
Thanks
Al

Elantric

None of the current blues cubes are 100% Analog ( but the old 1996 version was)

2014 Roland BLUES CUBE ARTIST BLOCK DIAGRAM

Consider that they have USB Re-Amping and recording capabilities and DSP reverb and tremolo - these are hybrid designs.

The Katana also has a FET preamp , but far fewer FETs involved in Tone shaping compared to current Blues Cubes

For comparison - refer to the 2016 Boss Katana

or  the 2011 era Roland GA-212 Block Diagram below

telemike

I wonder when someone is going to de-construct a tone capsule and see what kind of guitar fairy dust Roland has placed inside?

Sparkz

Here's an idea to determine extent of analog vs DSP contribution on new blues cubes.  If it is high percentage DSP then Roland could update firmware to enable Tone Studio user software control for access to sneaky amp models and additional effects.

Test procedure: Inject 400hz 100mv rms audio signal into guitar input and with hi-z oscilloscope probe check for audio on high side and wiper of each front panel control pot. If 400 hz audio is present on volume, gain, or eq pots then they are controlling Analog circuits.  If no 400hz audio present then DSP is the active element for that stage.

Does anyone agree with my logical approach to further uncovering tubelogic circuitry and thus determining whether a firmware update could unlock a Tone Studio software module for greater user flexibility from those BC amp stages that exist as algorithms within the DSP?

I'm traveling and will report on this test when I return  if someone else doesn't do it first.

Elantric

https://www.digimart.net/magazine/article/2019031903599.html

Roland / Blues Cube Hot "BOSS DRIVE Special"

Product review
2019/03/19 12:00
Review of the modified model of Blues Cube exclusively sold by Ikebe instrument store

Production: Digimart, magazine commentary, trial performance, sentence, recording: Kenji Kawamura Movie shooting and editing: Kazuki Kumatani
Amplifier / Amplifier Simulator / Vacuum Tube

Modife model exclusively for Ikebe instrument store that pursues the sound of vintage British amp with Tube Logic
 Roland's Blues Cube series was developed in pursuit of the tone and feel of the tube amp thoroughly. A special model, Blues Cube Hot "BOSS DRIVE Special," has been released, which is tuned to the circuit characteristics of a vintage British amp equipped with a KT-66 power tube. This model is exclusive sale at the ikebe musical instrument store.

Roland / Blues Cube Hot "BOSS DRIVE Special" (Front)

The original model Blues Cube has a white leather-like exterior, but this machine has been changed to black leather-like. Furthermore, from the gold "Blues Cube badge" and the "BOSS DRIVE Special badge" which is the proof of the premium model, you can see that it is a specification full of luxury. In terms of sound, the KT-66 tube has a large headroom and features a clean, clean sound with a beautiful sense of transparency. In addition, compared to the original model, BOOST switch has become high gain and the variable width of EQ has become wider, so it can be adapted to a wider range of play styles.

Simplely organized controls. The gain of the BOOST switch is higher than the original model

"BOSS DRIVE Special Badge" shines on the body top. It is a luxurious specification unique to premium models

Output is up to 30W. By using the power control function that can adjust the output to 0.5W / 5W / 15W / 30W, you can enjoy the drive sound like a tube amp cranked up even at small volume. From practice at home to live house, it will be active in various situations.

Next-generation amplifier to enjoy the feeling of tube amplifier while taking advantage of solid state
 Let's look at the detailed specifications. The cabinet is made of poplar material and equipped with one 12-inch custom speaker. It is a sound with a sense of openness by the open back design. The biggest feature is that Roland / BOSS's original "Tube Logic" thoroughly reproduces the circuit operation related to the sound of vintage tube amplifier. Especially noteworthy is the response when picking, and you can enjoy an edgy sound comparable to a large amp. I had the impression that it was a "warm sound" like a solid-state amp that sounds like a tube amp.

Roland / Blues Cube Hot "BOSS DRIVE Special" (Back)

The controls are simple in design, but the importance of each knob is felt. The bass, treble and middle EQs are widely designed and easy to handle, so they can be used in a wide variety of genres. There is no knob for gain, but as you turn up the volume knob, it gradually distorts in comfort, and it takes compression. This feeling is exactly the vacuum tube itself. It can be made from a high-gain to a crisp crunch, so it works well with the built-in plate reverb.

When the BOOST switch is pressed, the gain is increased by one more step, and the drive sound with fine texture and fine grain comes out. I was surprised that the smooth distortion was easy to play and the phrase appeared to be smooth. And when the TONE switch is turned on, the high frequencies will stand out and it will change to a good sound. It also adds a crisp texture, so if you control distortion well, you'll find it funky cutting and rock and roll phrases.

When using a tube amp, it always requires adjustments and costs to maintain the same sound quality, but since this unit is a solid-state amplifier, it is also an advantage that it can be used free of charge and in the best conditions at all times. . In addition to its high durability, it is lightweight and convenient to carry, so it's a great point to use easily. The back has a USB port, DAW recording is possible with the same sound quality as the sound coming out of the speaker. It can be called a universal amp that can cover practice, rehearsal, live and even home recordings. Please try one at the Ikebe musical instrument store near you by all means, which closely matches modern guitar life.

Interview
 We will interview the staff of Ikebe instrument store who know all about Blues Cube Hot "BOSS DRIVE Special"!

Mr. Okazaki, who is in charge of the ikebe musical instrument store Rivole Akihabara shop amp floor, was given interview

──What kind of music and guitarist do you recommend for Blues Cube Hot "BOSS DRIVE Special"?

Recommended for all players who want a classic British sound, including standard rock and blues players. In addition, because it is less burdensome to carry and the sound is good, I would like it to be used especially by those who are actively performing in environments such as live performances in cafes and bars, outdoor events, and guitar amps. Small size design, sufficient volume and sound quality, and less damage, no running costs such as tube replacement. Furthermore, there is no reason not to recommend it because you can use the optional foot switch to turn on / off the BOOST switch and TONE switch.

── Are there any compatible guitars and pedals?

You can create a sound with a feel similar to a standard vacuum tube guitar amp, so try out the potential of this unit with your usual guitar and your usual effector.

──The BOOST switch and the TONE switch are also included, and the range of setting is wide.

If you use BOOST switch or TONE switch, please set EQ and GAIN with switch ON. In particular, the BOOST switch is set to a higher gain than the normal model. This is a boost amount that is sufficiently distorted even with crunch settings, so the setting method of finding the best setting with the BOOST switch ON and turning off the crunch or clean sound at OFF prevents the boost from being unnecessarily boosted. , Leads to the reduction of the amount of noise. The same is true for other amps, but the trick is to set based on the sound you want to hear best.

最後 Finally, please give a message to those who are interested in Blues Cube Hot "BOSS DRIVE Special".

Many guitar players seem to be negatively accepting the characteristics of solid-state amplifiers that they feel when compared to tube amps. Solid-state amps and tube amps are of course not the same, but Blues Cube Hot is a great product that wipes out the player's solid-state amp image and reduces stress. Please try the power of "Blues Cube Hot" BOSS DRIVE Special "" at your local Ikebe instrument store.

Quote【spec】
-Output: 0.5-30 W-Speaker: 12 inches × 1-Control: POWER switch, BOOST button, TONE button, VOLUME, BASS, MIDDLE, TREBLE, REVERB, MASTER, POWER CONTROL switch (0.5 W, 5 W, 15 W, MAX) ● Input / output terminals: Input, Line out, Headphones, Foot switch, Rec out ● Weight: 12.6 kg ● Dimensions: 433 (W) x 239 (D) x 413 (H) mm
【Inquiry】
https://www.ikebe-gakki.com/ikebe-original/Roland-Blues-Cube-Hot/index.html