GR-55 - analog synths

Started by DreamTheory, June 08, 2014, 08:41:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DreamTheory

Vertical Takeoff is a mad scientist patch for sure. The pedal controls the resonance and the GK Vol sweeps a High Pass Filter. You get all sorts of whacked out combinations. At high resonance the Filrter starts to self oscillate for some delectable squeals and whallops. The CTL is a Hold function. Try this: let the low E string ring until it is just about faded out, then click CTL and try all sorts of variations on knob and pedal. Bullfrogs and squelchy squeals. This is like a psychadelic '70's analog synth solo.

The ASDR patches are more down to earth. The parameters that have higher values are labelled. Hi sustain is trumpet-like, High Decay/Resonance is like a plucked banjo-harp, and High Attack/Susutain is a pad with a nice thick sweep. I built these to better understand analog synthesis dynamics (ASDR). They are not bad starter tones, if I say so myself. Add FX to suit your taste.

Magic Man refers to the song by Heart- this was my attempt to learn from the analog synth solo. CTL kicks in tremolo, and EXP pedal shifts you down an octave and sweeps the filter.

There are several ways to make a theramin patch- here is mine. Supposed to evoke Clara Rockmore.

I think anaolg synthesis capabilities in GR 55 are easy to miss, buried as they are way down in the PCM menus. I could not figure them out intuitively, so I watched analog synth tutorials on youtube until I understood a little of what the parameters do. Worth the time investment.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008

Nicolobo

Thanks for sharing, I will definitely try these!  :)

DreamTheory

I posted some examples of how they sound in the gr 55 forum under sound examples.understanding ADSR has really helped me to control PCM tones better and make them more musical. For instance if a tone ends too abruptly just increase the "release" in the TVA section.
electric: Epiphone Dot semihollow body, acoustic: mahogany jumbo, recording: Cubase Artist 11 or Tascam DP008