Roland drops support for WinXP April 2015

Started by Elantric, March 19, 2014, 10:03:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Found this important note on the Roland Japan site  - I suggest download any  / all WinXP USB drivers you think you need for your new or used Roland  / Boss Gear ASAP. I interpret the message below to mean Roland Corp expects to drop all User support for WinXP (and earlier version version of Windows  - Win2000, WinME, WinNT,Win98)   by April 2015. Certainly any "new" products in the future will surely lack USB drivers for Windows XP.

http://www.roland.co.jp/support/article/?q=information&id=63079352
(Google Translation)
Notice

For longer supported If you want to use a combination of Windows XP and our products

March 10, 2014

You patronize our products, Thank you everyday. Well, we are supposed to be Windows XP support from Microsoft ends at (Japan time) April 9, 2015. ( announcement from Microsoft )

https://www.microsoft.com/ja-jp/windows/lifecycle/sp3eos.aspx

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/enterprise/end-of-support.aspx

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/end-support-help

you will not be able to guarantee the operation when you Along with this, she uses it as a combination of Windows XP and our products even if I do it with us. Therefore, as described below, you will be ended, also with regard to support from our company. Look forward for your understanding, thank you.

General Support related to such trouble and how to use the If you want to use a combination of the OS prior to Windows XP and our products: target April 9, 2014 (Wednesday): End of Support Note: the time being, OS for Windows XP or earlier provision of the download files will continue but, including how to install and download files of trouble, Roland  can not support at all. In addition, it is expected that by around within one year from the support end to end also provided in the download file. Please be forewarned.

amplayer

• I couldn't find where Roland is stating anything about removing downloads in April of 2015.  I let google translate the jp page, and it appears they're saying they will still allow drivers to be downloaded after April 2014, but without support.
  • For business users, hanging on to Win XP is unfortunate, but sort of understandable due to the tremendous cost and time lost.  For personal users, the case for hanging on to XP for this long is less.  Please, nobody flame out.  I realize people have reasons.  Most notably, some musicians may have older hardware that doesn't have drivers for Win 7 or Win 8.  There are probably other legit reasons, but I maintain that most people would be much better off with Win 7 or Win 8 than XP, especially now that the OS will be officially dead on April 8, 2014.
  • Because most of Roland's users are personal (not business) users, I don't blame them for cutting off new driver development for Win XP systems.  Once Microsoft stops providing security updates on April 8, 2014, it just doesn't make sense to put time and effort into driver development for a dead OS.
  • Personally, I have no heartache with no new driver development for XP on Roland's part.  I just wish they'd continue support for their own products (like the VG-99) a little better.

dporto

I love it when people tell me things like: "most people would be much better off with Win 7 or Win 8 than XP, especially now that the OS will be officially dead on April 8, 2014." ... It may very well be true, but I'd like to decide for myself what's "better off" for me -thank you very much.

aliensporebomb

Right now at my day gig we're actively pushing non-corporate XP assets off the network so that when 4/1 hits we're completely free of that operating system.  We're pushing for 99% gone on 3/24.

Why?  Because the second that OS stops getting security updates it will be the biggest target for hackers out there.  We've got a sizeable population of non-techy users few of whom have internet street smarts who will just keep using that operating system until the hardware fails and they'll be the targets.

My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

amplayer

Quote from: dporto on March 23, 2014, 05:38:47 AM
I love it when people tell me things like: "most people would be much better off with Win 7 or Win 8 than XP, especially now that the OS will be officially dead on April 8, 2014." ... It may very well be true, but I'd like to decide for myself what's "better off" for me -thank you very much.

Of course you can decide for yourself.
Microsoft will no longer provide security updates to XP after April 8, 2014.  If you don't upgrade to Win 7 before then, you'll be at risk after then.
IMHO, most people are better off without that risk.
If you're Ok with that risk, then feel free to stay with XP.

gumtown

Remember that Windows XP is from 2002, it's 12 years old,
you don't see support or drivers for old OS's like windows 95 or MS-Dos 4.01

If you stay with an old Operating System, you are not benefiting the hardware and multi-threading support either.
Then your hardware needs to be reasonably upto date too,
that is the way it is with tech gear, the life cycle is 4~5 years, a 20% loss each year.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

Elantric

For engineering apps I Must use, that have major incompatibility issues with Win7/Win8/Win8.1 - I use a 2011 era modern Win7 Dell PC running Win7 64 , and  rely on VMWare Player to run a "virtualized" licensed copy of WinXP with no Internet connection to the WinXP "virtual machine" - where my CAD/CAM apps still run  -actually with higher performance than my 2004 WinXP PC.

https://my.vmware.com/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_player/6_0

musicman65

Quote from: gumtown on March 23, 2014, 12:38:36 PM
Remember that Windows XP is from 2002, it's 12 years old,
you don't see support or drivers for old OS's like windows 95 or MS-Dos 4.01

If you stay with an old Operating System, you are not benefiting the hardware and multi-threading support either.
Then your hardware needs to be reasonably upto date too,
that is the way it is with tech gear, the life cycle is 4~5 years, a 20% loss each year.
Not entirely true. OS and programming bloat slows down apps at about the same rate as CPU speeds advance. Computers boot no faster nor multitask better when this occurs. My old XP based DAW boots in 40 seconds and performs flawlessly. I've used new Win7-64 boxes that are more sluggish.

Of course keeping current is optimal...but can be more expensive. VMware is a Godsend for extending the life of older apps.

Elantric

I maintain its best to do what most pro studios still  do

Use a separate computer for Audio/DAW creative work, and a separate computer for Internet / games / personal use.

Many Local Recording studios in my area still run a 2006 era MacPro and Protools 6, and still deliver great sounding tracks and never surf the net with these systems

I still have about a dozen old computers here - and if I need to maintain code for an old robotic control system I designed in 1994, I can dust off my old luggable lunchbox PC and fire up Win3.1 and get work done.

Just use a separate modern PC to access  Internet and email.   

amplayer

Quote from: Elantric on March 23, 2014, 02:09:21 PM
I maintain its best to do what most pro studios still  do

Use a separate computer for Internet, and a separate computer for Audio/DAW creative work.

Many Local Recording studios in my area still run a 2006 era MacPro and Protools 6, and still delver great sounding tracks and never surf the net with these systems

There's no doubt that's a great way to go.
If I had a recording studio that I hired out for a living, I'd probably do just that.  That is not my situation though.

For me, having two separate systems is costly and takes a lot of extra space.

Then again, I do make sure not to have the oldest or the newest computer hardware or software.
It means I'm never on the bleeding edge, but I'm also ahead of the curve when a manufacturer like Apple or Microsoft pulls the plug on the OS support.

Elantric

Just a reminder

April 2015  - Roland is due to drop Driver support for Windows XP OS ,f you are still using Windows XP, be safe and download the WinXP USB  / Firewire Driver for your Roland  / Boss Product before April 2015.

--------
http://www.roland.co.jp/support/information/63079352

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.roland.co.jp%2Fsupport%2Finformation%2F63079352&edit-text=

QuoteAlong with this, you will not be able to guarantee the operation when even we do with us If you use the combination of our products and Windows XP. Therefore, as described below, will be ended on the same day also with regard to support by our company.

Kindly you look forward for your understanding, thank you.

Ki

Target: our products and to support general discussion, such as how to use and trouble if you become your a combination of Windows XP and earlier OS

Support End Date: April 9, 2014 (Wed)

Remarks:
The time being, but provides the download file for Windows XP and earlier OS will be continued, including the download trouble and how to install the file, I can not do any of the support. In addition, within the limit of less than one year from the end of support (i.e. before April 2015), is scheduled to end also provides the download file. Please note.

JolietJake

Maybe Roland should add Ubuntu support and then we can get rid of these Microsoft shenanigans.

Elantric

This point of this thread is that Win XP is not going to be supported by Roland

If new Roland / Boss gear is introduced next month at MusikMesse trade show, Dont be surprised if USB drivers for Win XP simply are not available. It will be like trying to locate Boss SY-300 USB Drivers for Win98.

I soon expect a similar announcement that drivers will no longer be available for Windows Vista

Edit - Case in point -  the new Boss SY-300 Guitar synth has zero compatibility with Windows XP, and no USB drivers for Windows XP.

Elantric

Just as expected

No more USB Driver support for WinXP  for new Roland/Boss products

Observe the Boss SY-300 only offers USB Driver support for Win 7/8/8.1
http://www.bossus.com/support/by_product/sy-300/updates_drivers/350624

This driver has the following requirements.

Operating System
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 8 / 8.1 ( 64-bit Edition / 32-bit Edition )
Microsoft(R) Windows(R) 7 ( 64-bit Edition / 32-bit Edition ) ( Service Pack 1 or later )
* This driver will not work on Windows RT.
Computer
Windows-compatible PC equipped with USB port

* Intel chipset is recommended.
* SY-300 may not perform to its full specs when used with an added USB 2.0 interface card.
* This product cannot be used with a USB 3.0 port that is not compatible with USB 2.0 specification.
* If this product does not work correctly when connected to a USB 3.0 port, you will need to connect it to a USB 2.0 port.
* Even if connected to a USB 3.0 port, the performance of the product will not change.
* This driver cannot be used in a virtual Windows environment, such as Windows XP Mode ( Virtual Windows XP ) or Virtual PC.
* This driver cannot be used in a virtual Windows environment, such as Hyper-V or Virtual PC.
* Mac computers running Microsoft Windows are not supported.

Elantric

Just a reminder -

Roland / Boss new products do not support Windows XP or older versions (Vista, WinME, Win98, Win95, WinNT.)

Elantric