Digitech iStomp

Started by Elantric, January 19, 2012, 01:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

Digitech introduces the iStomp IOS powered effects pedal

http://www.musicradar.com/news/guitars/namm-2012-digitech-introduces-the-istomp-ios-powered-effects-pedal-525301

The iStomp unit connects to an iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch, which is used to program the pedal with any effect from Digitech's Stomp Shop. The iStomp can then control the parameters of the loaded effect via four control knobs.

The iStomp can be reloaded with a different effect at any time. The unit comes with Digitech's Total Recall Delay and Redline Overdrive included, with other effects available as in-app purchases.

Check out the official press release below for more details.

PRESS RELEASE: DigiTech today announced the introduction of the iStomp pedal, an entirely new concept in guitar stompboxes that allows musicians to program the effect pedal with any sound they want - and change it at any time.

Offering almost limitless sonic possibilities, the iStomp connects to an iPod Touch, iPhone, or iPad enabling musicians to load the effect of their choice into the iStomp.

"The iStomp ushers in a new era in effects pedal functionality," said Rob Urry, vice president, HARMAN Professional Division and general manager of Signal Processing and Amplifier Business Units.

"Until now, guitarists and musicians had to buy a separate pedal for each effect they wanted and a separate pedal for different tones of the same effect. Now, musicians can buy an iStomp and configure an effect exactly the way they want, and later, they can simply download a different tone of that same effect or download an entirely different effect if they want to try something new."

The iStomp pedal connects to an Apple iOS device using the DigiTech Smart Cable that comes with the iStomp. Once connected, the DigiTech Stomp Shop provides two of the most popular requested effects, the DigiTech Total Recall Delay and the DigiTech Redline Overdrive with the initial purchase.

The app also offers access to additional effects that iStomp owners can browse, try out, and purchase for their stompbox. The iStomp pedal has four knobs to control effects parameters, which change their function according to which effect is loaded.

iStomp makes trying out new sounds easier than ever. Instead of having to go to a music store or look for online demos that might have been done with unfamiliar gear, a guitarist can try any pedal in the iStomp online store for free for up to 10 minutes - in their own home, using their own guitar and amp.

Approximately 24 pedals will be offered initially, and the selection will expand to include exclusive pedals from DigiTech, officially licensed pedals from other manufacturers and classic legacy DigiTech and DOD products.

Every musician wants to create his or her signature sound, and many buy, sell and trade pedals constantly in their quest for the ultimate tone. With iStomp, users simply pay the cost of a download if they want to get something new.

Multiple iStomp pedals can be authorized to the same iTunes account, allowing customers to purchase an effect once from the in-app store, and then load it into any iStomp pedal registered to them. All purchases are saved within the app, making it easy to build up a wide ranging effects collection.

The DigiTech iStomp will begin shipping in January 2012 at an RRP of £159

mbenigni

This one is probably directed at Elantric, primarily - the only forum member who I know owns both the Pedal Juice and a couple of the iStomps.

I was just wondering whether you've tested the Pedal Juice with your iStomps?  Seems like a perfect combination for a small flexible pedal board.  I'd need the Pedal Juice to power at least 2 iStomps simultaneously.  They each pull 1500mA,(Actually 150mA)  and the Pedal Juice specs are indicated as "Two DC 9V ports (max. output 2,000 mA *2)" which I assume means 2,000mA per port, not 2000mA total.  Any thoughts on this?

mbenigni

Actually, this might answer my question, and not in a good way:  "Electronic drums or percussion - Current used about 1,000 mA: Approx. 2 hours", which implies I'd only get about 40 minutes running 2 iStomps.   :-\

Elantric

I use my Sanyo Pedal Juice to power a small FX board with Zoom G3, Line6 Verbzilla and Line6 Echo Park, and Barber TonePress - I get 4-5 hours - enough to play my 3 hour gigs with no AC power.
http://us.sanyo.com/Pedal-Juice
Quotethe Pedal Juice specs are indicated as "Two DC 9V ports (max. output 2,000 mA

Actually I believe this to indicate the Sanyo PedalJuice can supply 9VDC @ 2 Amps Total,  shared across two physical output jacks that are wired in parallel. 

Typically Digital Audio gear pulls the most electrical current demand during the Internal Flash memory Write process - such as when being used with the Digitech iStomp IOS Editor, so they will overstate the minimum DC current required  - just to have a comfortable margin of available DC current. I expect the average Operating DC Current for the iStomp is MUCH lower than 1,000mA. (its actually 150mA)

I would perform a pure empirical test.

Wire up the two iStomp's to the Sanyo Pedal Juice, turn them all on while powered only with the Sanyo Pedal Juice, and check in with them from time to time to verify they are still working and passing audio. i anticipate you will get at least  3-4 hours use (or more) - report your findings.

But review the iStomp Owners Manual - see last page
http://adn.harmanpro.com/product_documents/documents/832_1389808242/iStomp_Manual_5001814-E_original.pdf

iStomp Power Consumption: 150 mA @ 9 VDC

So you should be fine for at least 5 hours.

mbenigni

QuoteI would perform a pure empirical test.

There's no substitute for good empirical testing... except that I don't want to shell out $175 for Pedal Juice until I have some idea what to expect.  :)  I've been on the edge of buying one for ages but the price puts it a little out of "impulse buy" territory.

Elantric

iStomp Power Consumption: 150 mA @ 9 VDC for each iStomp pedal.

So you should be fine for at least 5 hours with the Pedal Juice
Quoteexcept that I don't want to shell out $175 for Pedal Juice
Wow - this doubled in price - I recall I paid $98 for my Sanyo Pedal Juice three years ago.

Might try the new PedalTrain Volto instead $99
http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Volto/reviews

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Volto

mbenigni

Weird - I just Googled the current draw on the iStomps and confirmed the 150mA you cite above, but 99% sure I saw 1500mA silkscreened on the pedal itself.  I assumed the high draw was the reason they skipped the battery compartment.

Yes, the Pedal Juice is very expensive, and for many months it was very hard to find.  They just surfaced on Amazon again a couple of days ago.

I considered the pedaltrain, but the Amazon reviews are not confidence-inspiring.  It seems like they've got QA problems, or they're using a battery technology with serious "memory" issues.

mbenigni

Despite the cautionary reviews, I decided to give the Volto a shot.  For $25 less than a Pedal Juice (discontinued, so I think the few vendors with inventory are gouging) I was able to order a Volto and a Pedaltrain Nano, which will serve nicely in front of an amp for traditional rock and roll stuff.  I'll let you know how I fare with the Volto.  I'm hoping the unsatisfied reviewers just had lofty expectations, or didn't charge their units properly, or whatever.  We shall see...

mbenigni

Of the three downer Volto reviews on Amazon, only one seems to warrant any attention.  Of the other two, one simply says:

QuoteI died on me live on stage in front of 1000 person crowd. Don't risk it. Get a power cord.

...which doesn't mean anything really.  Obviously a power cord is more reliable, and he makes no indication as to why it might have died.

The other guy is running two big loopers, and doesn't seem to understand the difference between voltage and current:

QuoteReturned to distributor. This unit failed to deliver more than 40 minutes of operation after an all night charge. I had 3 pedals in the mix: 1.) TC Electronic Poly-Tune, 2.) TC Electronic Flashback x4, and 3.) Jamman Stereo Looper.

I charged the unit a second time with the same results with the same configuration.

The possibility of the TC Flashback and Jamman consuming more than 9v (i.e. 2x9=18v + 9 = ~27v) has been considered but the voltage and current draw of the three units doesn't seem to be inordinate based upon manufacturers specifications for time of operation based upon pedals in use. Not to mention idle pedals vary in their voltage and current needs.

The stayed 36 hrs. of operation for a full charge was not realized. And even if I could have made it through 1/2 of the or 16 hrs. I would have consider that acceptable. Frankly the inability to make it through one show (4-5 hrs.) is not acceptable.

It seems like the third guy just ran through the capacity, and then had trouble recharging.  Whether that was user error or a defective unit I can't say.  Hopefully I'll have better luck.

*EDIT Looks like reviewer #3, who couldn't recharge, wasn't aware of the following (RTFM):

Quote•   VOLTO requires a residual charge to perform its simultaneous charging/powering feature.
•   If VOLTO is fully discharged it will not recharge and power your pedals. Instead, you should recharge VOLTO according to the instructions above.
•   The draw of your pedals must not exceed the electrical requirements to charge VOLTO.
•   If your pedals draw more than the amount required, VOLTO will operate in a net deficit and, by design, VOLTO will default to powering your pedals and forego charging itself.

But Pedaltrain also makes the following disclaimer, so I'm not sure how well I'll fare with the iStomps (much less my alternate application, the GR55!)

QuoteCertain pedals, like high-fidelity digital delays and reverbs, draw very large amount of power and are frequently is an "always on" mode. "Always on" can mean two things: a) the player
leaves the effect engaged all the time, or b) the pedal is drawing current regardless of whether or not the effect is engaged. While VOLTO can power these pedals, it is important to note that VOLTO
was not designed to power these types of effects as a primary function. VOLTO's battery life will be diminished using the pedal types.

mbenigni

So I'm two weeks into Volto ownership and I'm happy to report that it meets my needs.  I think the negative reviews can be largely ignored, with one caveat:

The Volto is flaky when the charge runs all the way down.  At this point it goes into a reset state and wants a little TLC - basically turn it off, and plug it in for a couple of hours.  Users who are trying to leave the Volto on, and continue running its output to their pedals while it's charging from AC mains, are having drama - the Volto never gets stable in this configuration.  PedalTrain are doing themselves a disservice advertising this feature IMO.  With the right cable, it's just as easy to disconnect the Volto and plug your AC adaptor directly into your pedal chain, rather than trying to finish your set with an unhappy battery in between.  Maybe the inline recharging option works if you only have a very low-current setup, but otherwise it's an unnecessary liability.  Hence the bad reviews?

I haven't broken out a stopwatch or anything, but I'd guess I'm getting something like 6 hrs running 2 iStomps, a Polytune 2, and a DynaComp.  These pedals are off much of the time, of course.  Not great, maybe not even "as advertised", but fine for me.  I'll have a better sense of what the real capacity is when I try running my GR55 with it: higher current, and always on.

jonnyj

Greetings everyone I have been attempting to create a way of looping Frippertronics original method via two Digitech iStomp pedals with a couple of different Delay models. I've attached a pic of how I've connected the two pedals. I was wondering if anyone after looking at what I've done might think of a better way or something I'm not thinking of. Casting these two aside I mainly use two other hardware pieces I loop with which are a Digitech Jamman Delay Looper and a Line 6 POD HD Desktop's looper. I am happy to loop away with anything and have tried a lot of loopers and pedals available minus some of the expensive boutique ones. The main issue with my Digitech iStomp idea is there is no way to create the tape delay between two recorders like the old school tape loop system. The iStomp pedals only offer two useable delays for something like this one is a 2 second delay and the other which is a proper tape delay emulation only goes to 1 second. I've experimented with both in combination and the same on both units. The setup is Pedal 1 INST>>Left IN>>OUT LEFT Of Pedal 1 >>LEFT IN Of Pedal 2 >>>OUT LEFT Of Pedal 2 >>INTO RIGHT Of Pedal 1>>OUT RIGHT Of Pedal 1>>>INTO RIGHT Of Pedal 2 >>OUT RIGHT Of Pedal 2 Onto POD HD and Digitech Looper.

I also run a third overdrive pedal in front of the two delay pedals for variation.

I can get the two pedals to re-loop themselves and create some interesting layers of sound but it would be really cool to get that old school re-recording. Which I do to a point and can be controlled by hand with the feedback settings. Both also have a chorus mod option. It yields pretty decent results but does not work in the way the tape loop system did or the sawnb's Boss RC-300 First order approximation.

Between using my other two loopers a lot of variation goes on and lots of jammin fun.

What I really like though is the way the original tape loops re-record onto themselves and the way that the Boss RC-300 can mimic this with sawnb's method https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=6845.0

-JonnyJ

"You are what you is"

admin

Don't update to IOS 11. It's a 32-bit app and the new OS will not run it.

I don't really use mine anymore but I'm making a copy of the app for backup and not updating my old iPad so I can still use it if I need to.