Sensomusic - Usine Hollyhock / NOundo

Started by Elantric, June 19, 2012, 12:41:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elantric

I was reading about the recent Microsoft announcement regarding the new Win8 "Surface" tablet PCs
http://createdigitalmusic.com/2012/06/microsoft-unveils-two-surface-tablets-but-questions-abound-will-they-hold-a-tune/#more-24332

and reading the comments reminded me of a great program called Sensomusic Usine, which runs on Touchscreen Windows PCs:
Its optimized for a TouchScreen Win7 PC

http://www.sensomusic.com/wiki3/doku.php

Usine is a universal audio software especially designed for live or studio utilization. Usine is made by musicians and audio engineers to respond to their specific problems in a lot of domains like live sampling, effect processing or sound design. Usine is a real musical instrument, flexible and powerful if you like to transform, resample the sound on stage, improvise and create unusual effect.

Elantric

QuoteHere a patch I've made in Usine ( sensomusic.com ) to use the midi guitar Mustang from Rock Band 3 , with this patch you can use open tuning , run effects or samples with the buttons of the guitar and send Y and Z accelerometers to effects.
Patch will be available as an addon on the website.

QuoteUsine workspace to control Izotope spectral synthesizer Iris
by Nay-Seven
Here a workspace made in Usine (sensomusic.com) . This workspace add some tools to control the VSTI Iris (Izotope.com) in a creative and different way than classic midi controller . I use here some Usine patch like physical interactions, XY Pads, Draw objects panel, sequencer and more .. I also use the Usine touchscreen feature to directly interact on patches . Physical objects add a slow automation on parameters like sample envelope and filter .

Elantric

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usine
http://www.sensomusic.com/usine/

Native multi-touch
Usine was the first native multi-touch Audio Workstation (WIN only). We keep our technological leadership.

Of course, each visual control can receive multi-touch information that you can use in patches.

Usine Demo Videos
http://vimeo.com/nayseven/videos
Usine Demo Pics
http://www.flickr.com/photos/usine/sets/72157614842368309/
Usine Soundcloud
https://soundcloud.com/groups/sensomusic-usine

shawnb

Are any Usine Hollyhock users out there? 

I now have a copy of Usine Hollyhock in hand; this is my first day.  What an amazingly well thought out, fully featured product.  For those (like myself) who MUST be able to configure & program EVERYTHING...

It's part DAW (with a focus on live performance), part development platform (with a PureData patch paradigm, including FFTs), and part VST host. 

It is a wildly different approach, and I admit, I spent the first few hours having NO IDEA what to do.  So I read the manual again, & analyzed their demo patches.   Again. 

I still had no idea what to do, so I just started shotgunning it.  I dropped a few VSTs into my project (it created a "rack" for me) and I immediately had a fully-working FTP rig, featuring audio (Amplitube), MIDI (SampleTank 3) and an instance of the FTP VST. 

I just dropped them into my project & it all just worked.  With tempo management, too

I'm working on programming my FTP Guitar/Mix/Synth switch to work properly. 

Very interesting, you can download all user patches straight from their website & they appear in your content browser, where you can drop them into your project.  User patch exchanges built right into the product!!!

If you want an insanely programmable VST host, e.g., for your FTP rig, this really seems to do it. 

If you want a LIVE DAW, this will do it.   

If you want an interactive graphical programming platform, ala PureData, this is that, too... 

So far, so good.   Still in the honeymoon period.  Still just my first few hours...
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Tone

Yeah, I've been testing Usine Hollyhock for a couple of months now (guitar audio + FTP midi).
Once you begin to understand its enigmatic (but efficient) interface -- i.e. were is the menu? -- this program really takes off.
I've tried many DAWs and/or VST Hosts (just for jamming at home), this one suits me best:
starts up quickly; rarely crashes; UI can be customize for each work-space; has loaded all my VST plugins so far; and best of all, as you mentioned, patches can be created ad-hoc (visual programming similar to Bidule, VSTHost, VstBoard etc.).
The authors define it as a "modular Audio Workstation" -- highly recomended

shawnb

Well, a few days into it & I'm still impressed & having a blast. 

For my FTP, I wrote a little patch that dispatches MIDI info based on the Guitar/Mix/Switch selection - my priority was Patch Changes.   

I can now select patches on my guitar or synth, independently of each other, using my FTP's d-pad!   No walking over to an app, etc.  No need to devote a couple pedals for patch changes. 

Tempo management is perfect.  Runs my VSTs. 

And if needed, to solve some quirky functionality, you have a dev platform underneath. 

Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Tone

That's a useful patch -- I use FTP's d-pad to select the patches of a VST plugin by connecting a filtered 'midi in' module to its program inlet, but this generates absolute values -- how do generate relative values, and also how do you map the Guitar/Mix/Synth message? (it sends the same CC 63 on channel 8, but with velocities 1,3, and 2 respectively).

shawnb

For relative values, you may want to just trap the dpad entries themselves, not the PCs:   
   Patch up = ch 8, cc63, value = 19
   Patch down = ch 8, cc63, value = 18

I haven't tried this, but give it a shot.  The problem is that sometimes CC63 values mean different things in different contexts, so you have to test it & use it a lot to see if this will work. 

I am having that problem with the GMS switch...   Ch8, CC63, Value=2 means "Synth", uh...  a lot of the time...   But not all the time...  I keep finding little exceptions.   I'll share once I've figured that out.

shawnb

Tone -

I'd be interested in knowing if this works for you.   I think I got it.  Just routed things a little differently & it reads & behaves much cleaner.   

I filter out channel 8 messages.  Voice changes are routed depending on your GMS switch.  I pass all other MIDI input to output, with the exception of PCs. 

I may change this behavior to route ALL MIDI in the future, a very easy change.  But at the moment I am working with this. 

I have an instance of FTP running (as a VST within HH) as I use this.  I haven't tested this in pure "HW" or "Basic" modes (without the FTP app/VST running).  Behavior may be different. 

Shawn

Tone

Shawn, it works great (how you manage to tame the FTP controller is beyond me), but the problem with absolute values remains -- switching between the two midi outlets you always start from the last PC value used. I made a simple switch & select sub-patch for the keyboard arrow keys -- any way to get FTP to behave in a similar fashion?

shawnb

Tone -

Are you trying to use the BACK & ENTER dpad buttons (left & right, or neck & bridge)?   

In my experience you cannot use the ENTER & BACK buttons, they should be avoided at all costs during live performance unless you have the FTP app/vst running and you can see what it's doing.  They appear to do several things, including the FTP app menu navigation, which is not advised to do 'blind'.  After pressing BACK or ENTER you cannot be guaranteed you're navigating patches anymore...

Focusing on the UP & DOWN buttons, which navigate patches in ALL FTP modes (assuming you haven't pressed BACK or ENTER...), there are two ways to implement infinite scrolling of PCs:

1.  Using Usine Hollyhock:
  • I haven't tried this but I'm sure you can hijack the PCs sent from the FTP controller into HH, and base your internal selections based on DPAD entries.
  • You would be looking for the CC64 messages described above, and using those to send PCs to your other apps & VSTs within HH.  It would be important to 'eat' the FTP's PCs sent so they don't confuse things.   You'd need an internal counter in HH to track your 'real' PC.
  • PROs: Should work no matter what FTP mode you're in.  Can honor the 'infinite' requirement 127 + 1 = 0, and also 0 - 1 = 127.
  • CONs: You are completely out of sync with your guitar patches...  FTP settings will not be honored.   I think you'd want to have ONE and only ONE FTP patch in your ftp controller, and that would dictate global behavior.
  • This would need to be tested...
2.  Using the FTP controller:
  • Actually fill up all of your FTP patches with HW synths matching your desired settings.
  • I have found that - for simple changes - you can edit the TriplePlay.settings file.  Copy a bunch of user entries to fill every slot.
  • PROs: You can edit these settings.  Your FTP settings & FTP controller behavior are now in perfect sync with your internal HH selection
  • CONs: It won't do 'infinite', e.g., if you're at 0 and press DOWN, you won't go to 127 you'll stay at 0. 

I use the latter method as it provides the greatest control. 

For bulk changes like this, I edit the TriplePlay.settings file directly.  It's faster & easier to scan & look for consistency & errors.   Some information (and warnings) here about editing the settings file:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=12036.0

I have an instance of FTP running within HH, so I can edit patches if necessary.  HOWEVER, there are no ins & outs, all it does is configure the controller.   (The HH equivalent of the "two-track" method...)   Thus, all patches are "Hardware synth" patches. 

You need one XML 'patch' entry per 'favorite', since each will be unique (and identify a unique patch #/PC).   Examples of 'patches' and 'favorites' are below.   PCs are in the 'program number' fields.

<patchlist>
      <patch name="PC 1 mono" formatversion="4" createTime="13eccb73a49" modTime="147a94f6765"
             holdMode="1" splitLow="223" splitHigh="223" arpeggioMode="0"
             arpeggioSpeed="30" arpeggioLength="15" pickSensitivity="3" polyForPatch="0"
             factoryPatch="0" tapTempoEnabled="0" patchTempo="120">
        <melody melodyLen="0"/>
        <sounds>
          <sound mySoundId="1" programNumber="1" midiMSB="0" midiLSB="0" quantMode="0"
                 transpose="24" volume="0" dynamicSensitivity="15" dynamicOffset="10"
                 reverb="0" reverbUI="0" volumeUI="0">
            <vi>
              <pluginRef name="Hardware Synth Plugin" format="Internal" type="internal"
                         vendor="Fishman" version="1.0"/>
            </vi>
          </sound>
        </sounds>
      <patch name="PC 20 poly" formatversion="4" createTime="13eccb73a49"
             modTime="147a9632f0d" holdMode="2" splitLow="223" splitHigh="223"
             arpeggioMode="0" arpeggioSpeed="30" arpeggioLength="15" pickSensitivity="3"
             polyForPatch="0" factoryPatch="0" tapTempoEnabled="0" patchTempo="120">
        <melody melodyLen="0"/>
        <sounds>
          <sound mySoundId="1" programNumber="20" midiMSB="0" midiLSB="0" quantMode="3"
            <vi>
            </vi>
          </sound>
          <sound mySoundId="0" programNumber="0" midiMSB="0" midiLSB="0" quantMode="3"
            <vi>
            </vi>
          </sound>
        </sounds>
      </patch>
    </patchlist>

Then you point to your patches the 'favoriteList' as follows:

<VALUE name="favoriteList">
    <RefPatchList listname="Favorites List">
      <patchRef name="PC 1 mono"slot="0"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 2 mono" slot="1"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 3 mono" slot="2"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 4 mono" slot="3"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 5 mono" slot="4"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 6 mono" slot="5"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 7 mono" slot="6"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 8 mono" slot="7"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 9 mono" slot="8"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 10 mono" slot="9"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 11 poly" slot="10"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 12 poly" slot="11"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 13 poly" slot="12"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 14 poly" slot="13"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 15 poly" slot="14"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 16 poly" slot="15"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 17 poly" slot="16"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 18 poly" slot="17"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 19 poly" slot="18"/>
      <patchRef name="PC 20 poly" slot="19"/>
    </RefPatchList>

Tone

No, Shawn, I don't use the BACK & ENTER dpad buttons -- they enter in the FTP menu selection, and as you said: not advisable going in blind.
My main issue is that I would prefer that the FTP plugin behave like any other VST (with ins & outs etc.), in fact I don't run guitar audio through the FTP plugin. Also changing patches within FTP is often noisy and broken.
So at the end of the day I will go for option 1: try to "hijack the PCs sent from the FTP controller into HH", and dispatch the Midi-In to different instances of FTP (with one patch songs).

shawnb

Quote from: Tone on August 10, 2014, 02:47:58 AM
So at the end of the day I will go for option 1: try to "hijack the PCs sent from the FTP controller into HH", and dispatch the Midi-In to different instances of FTP (with one patch songs).

I do not run a bunch of instances of FTP for a few reasons.  First, there is only one controller - the FTP must wait for you to tell it which FTP instance is active; i.e., switching cannot be automatic.  Second, it's resource inefficient to run a bunch of copies of the same thing.  Third, FTP does not pass tempo to the VSTs, which is important to me.   

So I run an instance of FTP that is connected to nothing, and basically just navigates between 'Hardware Synth' patches with the settings I want for each patch.  A 'Hardware Synth' patch simply talks to the controller & tells it what parameters to use, and does NOT host a VST.   

That way, Hollyhock (HH) talks directly to the VSTs!

Some screenshots will help!

Tone

OK, now everything makes sense -- I didn't follow the bit about running FTP connected to nothing (BTW this also works with soft-synth patches) -- a picture paints a thousand words.
So now I can have the VSTs tempo synced to HH, AND use FTP parameters for dynamics etc.. -- fantastic!
Also, after some consideration (and testing), I'm now convinced that option 2, "Using the FTP controller", is the way to go.

shawnb

Plus there is the pleasure of working with a small company.   Their support is excellent. 

They participate in their forums & help users.  Even my goofy uninformed first few posts while I was learning the product.   

I logged a bug & a few enhancement requests, & they've responded to ALL of them with release dates and/or explanations.   

shawnb

Due to the way their user patch exchange works, the FTP-GMS-Switch module described above is now available as a module directly within Usine HH!   

Elantric

FWIW - Sonsomusic Usine is currently on sale too

Tone

Shawn -- I've just recently installed the GK-3 PU on my guitar (alongside the FTP PU), and was planning to use your module to change patches on the GP-10... but, FTP doesn't send me PCs anymore (just CCs and strangely enough PBs). Then I tried to send PC commands from HH to FTP -- nothing doing. I'm a bit stuck -- it would be a shame to manage the FTP patches manually.

p.s. have you any idea how to control GP-10's patch tempo from HH?

shawnb

I don't have the GP-10.  Still on the fence.

I took a quick peek over here:
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=10930.msg87607#msg87607

And found the GP-10 MIDI implementation, which shows that PCs are received, but clock apparently is not.  See the screenshot.   Looks like the GP-10's MIDI implementation is severely restricted.

HOWEVER...   Looking deeper, it does receive sysex...   And the MIDI implmentation shows that the tempo of the current patch is available for update...   If I had a GP-10 I would experiment with building a sysex message & changing the value at the address specified.   

Tempo is a must for me.   Let me know if you have any luck with that.    If that approach doesn't work, I'll never consider a GP-10.

BACK to the FTP...   

The FTP will xmit whatever PC you have selected for it.  (Though it confuses PC '0' with 'none specified'...  But that's a nit...)

3rd screenshot below - just in case - shows you where to configure the PCs.   The xml edit above is just intended to be a shortcut for making bulk edits.

Also, as an FYI, the example below shows you how to get POLY patches even when your FTP is configured for MONO.  Best of both worlds - some patches can be POLY and some can be MONO.

shawnb

Quote from: Elantric on August 23, 2014, 10:35:02 AM
FWIW - Sonsomusic Usine is currently on sale too

They have a free 32-bit version.   4 rack maximum, no network or OSC support.  But FREE and it's their current build.   On their downloads page:
http://www.sensomusic.org/download/

Tone

Quote from: shawnb on August 24, 2014, 09:49:51 AM
Tempo is a must for me.   Let me know if you have any luck with that.    If that approach doesn't work, I'll never consider a GP-10.

Usine Hollyhock has a Sysex Editor module, but I've had no luck sending messages to GP-10. In any case I have no idea how to manipulate this data, so I just setup two "assigns" in the GP-10 to source CCs, and target tempo. Also Hollyhock receives PCs from the GP-10 so that the tempo is updated at each patch change.

shawnb

Sensomusic's Hollyhock is an interactive performance environment & VST host with a built-in graphical development platform that is perfect for tweaking your rig to suit your needs.  Built from the ground up with touchscreen support.

http://www.sensomusic.com/

Hollyhock MIDI Guitar Example

Features over Hollyhock I:

QuoteVideo support
DMX/Art-net support for light management
New powerful timeline Grid
New automations recording
New interface design
More than 50 new modules covering a large range of applications including:
  • New Grain-Sampler module
  • New Midi Sampler module
  • 3D support
  • Leap V2 support

More than 500 improvements
Smpte, Midi Timecode (MTC), Linear Timecode (MTC) support
Engine optimization
OSC learn on every controls
New powerful library
64 channels support on every audio module
128 audio in/out
New Internet site
New open source SDK

Usine is more powerful and stable than ever.

The public beta will be out in few days now.
Thanks to all the community for suggestions, beta testers and all members for their support.
http://www.sensomusic.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4714

The key part is that last line -
QuoteThanks to all the community for suggestions, beta testers and all members for their support.

They REALLY monitor their forums closely, and most topics raised in the forums are addressed in this feature list.   AND - they've been patching Hollyhock I while II was in development.   AND - the engineers participate in the forums practically daily.  (I haven't seen that type of support since the very early days of Cakewalk, when Greg Henderschott would interact on the boards...)

Half-off discounts at the moment for pre-orders.

Vade

Just finished my first test with my new mobile rig in a very incomplete first approximation of the build. Sonar X3 is about half and half using my 15.6" touch screen in that many controls work fine but a mouse or workaround will be needed for other basic tasks. Press and hold for "right click" doesn't work for things such as adding or deleting a track nor can I click open a softsynth (Z3TA+ tested) that's loaded into a track for changing patches or parameters. How's Hollyhock at handling touch?

Edit: In fairness I haven't patched Sonar yet so I'm talking about Sonar X3a Producer. I'm still interested in how Hollyhock performs in a touch environment if you'd care to comment.
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie

shawnb

Quote from:  Vade on February 26, 2015, 10:57:48 PM
Sonar X3 is about half and half using my 15.6" touch screen...

I'm a big X3 proponent, I love it & it's my primary DAW.   I would not use X3 for a rig, that does not play to X3's strengths.  It's  designed & suited for studio recording & mixing. 

Quote from:  Vade on February 26, 2015, 10:57:48 PM
How's Hollyhock at handling touch?

I'd suggest downloading a version of HH & experimenting yourself.  I believe the 32-bit Windows version is free.  That should be sufficient for you to get a hands-on feel. 

To be honest, my current laptop/rig does not support touch, so I can't tell you.  I drive everything from a foot controller - I don't like poking around with my hands while playing.  I can change patches & parameters for my guitar audio VST and also my synth VSTi without touching anything.

Vade

I'm just experimenting with Sonar X3 since I already own it. It's a fine vst host so far as sound quality is concerned and I have all of about 3 hours of touch screen experience so far which leaves a whole lot testing to be done. Getting foot control of much of the process is on my wish list as well and I've a fair bit of work to do on that front. I'll probably explore Sonar's capabilities a bit even though it's not exactly designed to serve as a live platform. Hollyhock does seem interesting though and downloading the free trial couldn't hurt. Thanks for the update!
Drachen; Fender FTP Strat w/internal GK-3, Godin xtSA w/FTP, Boss GP-10, VoiceLive 3, Scarlett 18i8, ZBox IQ01, On-Lap 1502i, D:fine 4088, 4E Dual Axis Exp Pedal, VoiceSolo FX-150, Yamaha DXR 10, Gem. M2 Flute, Special 20 Harmonicas. Fender Deluxe Reverb Mahogany Cane.

https://soundcloud.com/vadie