PRIMOVA - MIDX-10 Roland/Boss compatible 5-pin to USB converter (GP-10 etc.)

Started by CodeSmart, July 30, 2015, 06:56:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike Croft

I would really LOVE to get hold of one of the genius MIDX-10 units so I can integrate my GP-10 into my MIDI set-up, (as it drives me crazy)!

Have emailed sound@primova.se and really hope I can get on the waiting list... and eventually get one?

Thanks. https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/Smileys/classic/smiley.gif
VG gear: Godin Multiac GC SA & GKKIT custom Yamaha FPX-300 - PRIMOVA GKFX-21 - GKPX-14 into GP-10, VG-99, AX100MKII, GR-20, GR-33, OC-20G, WP-20G, GR-V, GR-D + various non-VG guitars & kit, (fav La Patrie Hybid CW - TC Electronic G-Natural). Beta 87a, TC Helicon Voicelive 2, Beatbuddy. MIDI FCB-1010

Jim Williams

I had to do a factory reset on my Roctron MidiMate to work with GP-10 but after a fresh setup no issues. The GP-10 also lacks a midi setup so you have to have the rest of your gear set up to work with the GP-10. I assume the GT-001 is the same.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

CodeSmart

Quote from: Jim Williams on November 13, 2015, 01:26:49 PM
I had to do a factory reset on my Roctron MidiMate to work with GP-10 but after a fresh setup no issues. The GP-10 also lacks a midi setup so you have to have the rest of your gear set up to work with the GP-10. I assume the GT-001 is the same.

Thanks for the news Jim :D
Are you going to control your GR-55 or VG-99 also by the MidiMate?
It should be possible if you enable the MIDX-10 Merge Switch and connect MIDX-10 MIDI OUT to the GR-55 (or VG-99) MIDI IN. If so, probably should turn off Guitar-to-Midi in GP-10. No reason it sending out messages GR-55 won't care about.
But I got more gear than I need...and I like it!

Joskoh

CodeSmart I received your MIDX-10 today and IT WORKS!!!!
(Not that I was doubting you!!). The video shows a short demo of the first thing I will use this for. I use a program called ONSONG for lyrics and chord charts. This program has the ability to send midi messages. So as you can see in this video I programmed the OnSong app to change my GP-10 to the correct patch for the song I bring up in ONSONG.

Thank you thank you!!!! This is fantastic!!! :D

My equipment is as follows:
iPad 4 connected with camera adapter -> cheap USB to Midi adapter -> MIDX-10 adapter

Jim Williams

I have the MidiMate controlling both the GP-10 and the GR55. It works without the merge switch up, it seems that CC and PC changes pass through without a problem.

Everything from modeling to the real deal, my house looks like a music store.

CodeSmart

Quote from: Jim Williams on November 14, 2015, 05:18:58 AM
I have the MidiMate controlling both the GP-10 and the GR55. It works without the merge switch up, it seems that CC and PC changes pass through without a problem.
It's the GP-10 echoing the commands, you're right in this case the merge switch should not be used.

CodeSmart

Since I've got these great news about the MIDX-10 I'll contact another eight guys on the waiting list this weekend  :D

Mike Croft

Thanks Robert for adding me on to the waiting list.

I'm happy to be patient as I understand how busy you are and this is in demand. I'm in the process of designing and building a new set up which will take a while anyway, especially with Christmas coming.

Keep up the great work.

Kind regards, Mike. :)

VG gear: Godin Multiac GC SA & GKKIT custom Yamaha FPX-300 - PRIMOVA GKFX-21 - GKPX-14 into GP-10, VG-99, AX100MKII, GR-20, GR-33, OC-20G, WP-20G, GR-V, GR-D + various non-VG guitars & kit, (fav La Patrie Hybid CW - TC Electronic G-Natural). Beta 87a, TC Helicon Voicelive 2, Beatbuddy. MIDI FCB-1010

CodeSmart

Quote from: Mike Croft on November 14, 2015, 08:34:51 AM
Thanks Robert for adding me on to the waiting list.

I'm happy to be patient as I understand how busy you are and this is in demand. I'm in the process of designing and building a new set up which will take a while anyway, especially with Christmas coming. Of course there will be more MIDX-10!!!

Keep up the great work.

Kind regards, Mike. :)

Mike, I just got home after a 6 hour pretty hard Kyokushin Karate camp (Friday+Saturday). Japanese martial arts teach you how to focus, sharpen your mind, pay respect and never give up. Kyokushin is the known as the toughest full contact Karate version.
Domo Arigato and Osu! Of course I will make more MIDX-10 soon ;D

GuitarBuilder

CodeSmart has clearly mastered the art of time warping - how else does he find the time to play guitar, code, design & build boxes, karate, playing with kids, etc.?
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

CodeSmart

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on November 14, 2015, 10:13:13 AM
CodeSmart has clearly mastered the art of time warping - how else does he find the time to play guitar, code, design & build boxes, karate, playing with kids, etc.?
The hidden secret of time warping is (and I only say this once)  Never watch TV, Use lunch hours wisely, Live close by to your work and hobbies (band & physical recreations), Don't sleep away your life and finally: Get a wife with a horse ;D

Mike Croft

Quote from: CodeSmart on November 14, 2015, 09:18:11 AM
Mike, I just got home after a 6 hour pretty hard Kyokushin Karate camp (Friday+Saturday). Japanese martial arts teach you how to focus, sharpen your mind, pay respect and never give up. Kyokushin is the known as the toughest full contact Karate version.
Domo Arigato and Osu! Of course I will make more MIDX-10 soon ;D

Wow, the Kyokushin sounds great! I have a really bad back & shoulder at the moment so way too energetic for me though.... I'm stuck at home most of the time at present as I can't work until I'm better so trying to write & think up new projects as well as catching up on DVD's I've accumulated but not watched & digging out a load of stuff to go on eBay!

I picked up a Singular Sound Beatbuddy last week so got that to play with & need to work out how to program it for lots of less straightforward time signatures & changes, (never had the patience for drum machines before but then maybe I shouldn't write stuff that starts 7/4 then heads to 13/4 & elsewhere ha HA)! :)

rsm

I'm looking forward to my MIDX-10!

I plan to integrate my GP-10 and SY-300, and use my Keith McMillen SoftStep 2 MIDI controller to control both...really wish the Boss RC-3 had MIDI as I'll need a looper, the "last" step for this board I think...

Also thinking of a GT-001 + SY-300 + Looper + SoftStep 2 for a smaller board that will work with my guitars that will never get a hex pickup.  Combining the GT-100 + SY-300 is possible, but that's a big board.

I also use a TC Helicon VoiceLive 3 for voice only, so floor space around me is limited... see the pic with my current floor rig (not completely hooked up in the pic yet). Mic stand is a boom.

rsm
bass | guitar | keys | Push

Rickenbacker | Steinberger | Boss | Roland
Using Digital and Solid State by Choice

CodeSmart

Today I've sent number 25 and I hope the remaining last four will find a new home as well.

I now need to sit down and gather time to rework the board, make a new prototype and then have a new batch of boards fabricated in 2016, possibly in China as I know the current pricing has been a challenge to many.

I thank all of you that stood me by and bought this thing financing the first two rounds of protype boards, wasted components and many coding nights. I haven't yet received a single complaint, that feels great. However please post how you include this thing in your setup. It's very interesting and it helps picking up new ideas.

Thank you guys
/Robert

OldGuitarDude

Thanks Santa! #16 arrived yesterday, alive and well. Got lots of ideas for it.

OldGuitarDude

GuitarBuilder

I got mine as well.  Here it is in my latest synth setup!

The only item missing still is my Lehle 3at1 for controlling the 3 stereo outputs.  I currently have the GR-55 outputs routed to Aux in on the GP-10.  The 3at1 is MIDI-controlled and allows me to select any combination of the 3 synths to a single stereo output for the PA.

The Softstep 2 is quite versatile - I send MIDI signals to each synth over different channels.  I can program each switch to simultaneously transmit different PCs and CCs to each synth for unique sound combinations.  Very cool!

The only ironic part is that I have to convert the Softstep 2 USB output to 5-pin MIDI and back to USB for the GP-10 using the MIDX-10.  So here's a suggestion for the next revision, CodeSmart: add another USB (class compliant) jack to the MIDX-10 so I can plug my Softstep in directly!
"There's no-one left alive, it must be a draw"  Peter Gabriel 1973

vtgearhead

Perhaps I'm making an incorrect assumption, but for testing purposes shouldn't it be possible to go from a Midisport 1x1 interface on my computer to the MIDX-10 and onwards to the GP-10?  For some reason, this is not working.  Neither the Roland Tone Studio nor Gumtown's GP-10Edit are able to see the GP-10 when hooked up in this manner.  Both software environments see the Midisport device, but neither can recognize the GP-10.

Update:  False alarm.  Turns out that the Midisport device does not play nicely with USB-3 interfaces.  I moved it to one of the USB-2 connectors and GP-10Edit works correctly.  Interesting, Boss Tone Studio still does not, but I'll attribute that to assumptions made by Roland rather than anything in my setup. 

gumtown

A note to consider is that the computer program/editor is going to 'see' the midi device adapter name and not the actual GP-10 device name,
as the GP-10 is connected via 5 pin midi, it is not going to be 'seen' as a USB midi device to a computer environment.
Free "GR-55 FloorBoard" editor software from https://sourceforge.net/projects/grfloorboard/

CodeSmart

Quote from: gumtown on November 22, 2015, 11:08:36 AM
A note to consider is that the computer program/editor is going to 'see' the midi device adapter name and not the actual GP-10 device name,
as the GP-10 is connected via 5 pin midi, it is not going to be 'seen' as a USB midi device to a computer environment.
I also noted that the only editors working via MIDX-10 were made by Gumtown. Roland editors require the actual Roland USB driver 'alive' with the real thing in the other end.

CodeSmart

All MIDX-10 are now gone.
Don't expect any more within this year. War Ministry unlocked the big red 'Nuke CodeSmart' button some week ago and I've just been waiting for the missile launch ::)
If I can sneak away I'll build some GKFX-21 to feed the waiting list...

Mike Croft

Quote from: CodeSmart on November 20, 2015, 04:16:28 PM
Today I've sent number 25 and I hope the remaining last four will find a new home as well.

I now need to sit down and gather time to rework the board, make a new prototype and then have a new batch of boards fabricated in 2016, possibly in China as I know the current pricing has been a challenge to many.

I thank all of you that stood me by and bought this thing financing the first two rounds of protype boards, wasted components and many coding nights. I haven't yet received a single complaint, that feels great. However please post how you include this thing in your setup. It's very interesting and it helps picking up new ideas.

Thank you guys
/Robert

I'm happy to wait and hope to get one in 2016. My new pedal board project is on hold until after the New Year after all the seasonal madness, expense & general chaos has ended!

Keep up the great work Robert & enjoy some time off at Christmas I hope! :)

CodeSmart

Quote from: GuitarBuilder on November 21, 2015, 04:19:25 PM
The only ironic part is that I have to convert the Softstep 2 USB output to 5-pin MIDI and back to USB for the GP-10 using the MIDX-10.  So here's a suggestion for the next revision, CodeSmart: add another USB (class compliant) jack to the MIDX-10 so I can plug my S oftstep in directly!

Not so easily done without duplicate things. Each USB connector need a dedicated Microcontroller. The other possibility is using an internal or external USB HUB, however each logical connection to a MIDI device eat up a certain amount of RAM buffers to keep the data running at full speed, and the memory is already a bit stressed with just one device attached. Perhaps it can be reduced at least to allow two devices. Not sure right now. Need to check.

What I'm consider adding to a future circuit is a 'feature' connector and a EEPROM. The feature connector could connect to two stereo jacks, each allowing connection to a expression pedal (EV-5) or a dual button Boss footswitch, or even a 3 button switch like a DIGITECH FS3X or even a 6 button switch like TC Helicon pedal Switch 6. The EEPROM allow storing the type of switch/exp pedals and custom CC# assigns for the button states. To setup the whole thing a PC program could be used, communicating over MIDI to the MIDX-10 for setup. Well these are just ideas right now...

myconsumerclub

Im new to this just got my GP-10 from sweetwater and I will install the drivers and editor and gumtowns editor this weekend. I was assuming that these editors could be hooked into the GP-10 and allow for communications with other midi gear via USB so that no additional hardware was needed. If this is not the case and a MIDX-10 is required to get patch changes happening live then count me in on going that route.

Elantric

If you always use a computer - then you may skip the MIDX-10

--
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=15464.msg119963;topicseen#msg119963
You can if, for example you are running windows, need to install a 3rd party software like midi-Ox/midi-Yoke, or Be-Loop,
to create a 'software mapped connection between USB-midi units or devices.

CodeSmart

Been on the slow and lazy side for a while but now I'm now preparing for another 20 units following the holidays next year as I still got painted enclosures ready.
- Powerful 1 Amp voltage regulator instead of 100mA.
(This doesn't matter for Boss/Roland gear but may be useful for other gear wanting to suck high current from the USB port.)
- Replacing MIDI optocoupler with smaller one.
- Downsizing passive SMD components from 0805 to 0603 foot print where applicable.

After that I need to figure out something new to do... it's the development, learning and thinking that's fun :D