New user (probably) with some questions

Started by Robin Oakapple, May 20, 2013, 10:31:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Robin Oakapple

Hi Everybody

I have arrived here after reading many recommendations and already read a lot of the information that people have thoughtfully provided.

I'm planning to buy a Godin Nylon SA guitar and a GR-55. Unlike most others here (I expect) my main intended purpose is to strum chords to accompany (not very good) singing. The attraction of the Godin is the wider neck and the nylon strings, both of which will help me as I have trouble with the standard narrow necks on electric guitars and my index finger isn't very strong.

The main attraction of the GR-55 is the transpose facility and the 12 string sounds

Am I doing the right thing here? I've watched a lot of videos of this setup and everybody is very positive about it.

Brent Flash

Welcome to the group Robin Oakapple!  :)

Just know that the GR-55 cannot do 12string and transpose at the same time. You will need a VG-99 to do that.

Robin Oakapple

Now that's a fact that had escaped me so far! Thanks for the heads-up on that, Brent, I shall have to review my plans as I want to be able to do both those things (and at the same time).

Elantric

Remember Roland designs this gear (VG-99/GR-55)  to work best with its own pickup - the Magnetic hex pickup based Roland GK-3 pickup.

Owners of Piezo pickup 13 pin output guitars ( RMC, Godin, Breedlove, Carvin) may experience noise anomaly issues on some VG-99 / GR-55 patches  - notably the Roland GR-300 "Pat Metheny" emulation tone.

An optional RMC subsonic filter board, mounted inside either the VG-99 or GR-55 can solve these noise issues

VG-99 Sub Noise filter
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=568.msg2386#msg2386

GR-55 Sub Noise filter
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3236.0

QuoteThe attraction of the Godin is the wider neck and the nylon strings, both of which will help me as I have trouble with the standard narrow necks on electric guitars and my index finger isn't very strong.
Also if you need a guitar with a wide fingerboard  - there are other brands that you could mount a GK-3 too - like one of these
http://zarleywideneckguitars.com/

Robin Oakapple

I've been looking into the possibility of getting a wider neck guitar, or even a wide neck for one of my current guitars, for some time now. Being in the UK my choice is limited unless I want to order from the States. But the Godin nylon appealed to me not only because of the wider neck, but the nylon strings too, which mean that less effort is needed to fret the strings, especially near the nut which is where I am most of the time. My index finger isn't strong enough (any more) to fret notes cleanly on a conventional steel string guitar.

So although I take the point that a steel string guitar with the GK3 pickup would be better, what I am wondering is whether the Godin would be good enough? I only envisage strumming chords in a live situation, I'll do little bits of melody for home recording but don't mind re-recording if I get a  bum note or whatever.

Elantric

QuoteSo although I take the point that a steel string guitar with the GK3 pickup would be better, what I am wondering is whether the Godin would be good enough? I only envisage strumming chords in a live situation, I'll do little bits of melody for home recording but don't mind re-recording if I get a  bum note or whatever.

Sounds like you are comparing Steel string acoustic guitars with steel string electric guitars.

A well setup electric guitar with a properly adjusted Nut and low action with a set of light strings (.010-.046) should be as equal / easy to play as a Nylon String guitar.

Suggest go a to a guitar store and try several types before you buy.     
Sadly most guitar manufacturers omit stating how wide their Necks Actually are. 

While its true many Electric guitars have a Neck width at the Nut of 1.625 inches (1 5/8"), if you look you will find a few electric guitars with a wider  1.6875"  (1 11/16") wide Nut. Some go up to 1 3/4" (1.75")

Robin Oakapple

I'm starting to form the impression that the Godin Nylon SA isn't very well thought of around here  :)

Many years ago I used to be heavily involved with guitars, both as a tech and as a manufacturers of necks, bodies and complete guitars, so am reasonably au fait with electric guitars and their set-ups.

If I really do need to avoid the Godin, and as I've not found any wide neck electrics in the UK, it looks like my next best bet is to get a 7 string electric neck, convert it to 6 string and make a suitable body for it. It's all stuff I can do, but was hoping to be able to buy a ready-made solution as although I have a well equipped workshop (I make kitchen cabinets and doors for a living) I'm not set up for guitar work and I have customers waiting for my kitchens.

Elantric

I'm sure the Godin will be fine. it all boils down to what you seek or perceive this tech will deliver for you.
(some review of Godin Multiac SA with VG-99 here)
https://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=364.0
a few Godin Nylon users expect too much and wonder why factory GR-55/VG-99 patches (which are designed for a steel string Strat with Gk-3 btw) sound nothing like the demos when used with a Nylon string Godin - which should be obvious since there are significant differences in the acoustic timbre of each.

I suggest you try before you buy, or purchase from a store with a liberal return policy.