VG-99 - cleanish tone plus spacy pad

Started by kloniwotski, August 31, 2009, 04:40:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kloniwotski

Why's and wherefores:

This patch has a borderline clean guitar on A channel and a reverb-heavy "pad" type sound on B.

Both channels are fairly effects-heavy.

Among other stuff, the A channel uses a very low-depth uni-v, a custom 8" speaker setting (on the pro-crunch amp model) and almost inaudible octave-up 12string settings to affect the tone.

On the B channel, the same cosm guitar is processed via the poly slow gear, extreme reverb, reverse echo, flanger and wave-pedal driven pseudo-random EQ sweeps to get the pad sound. It uses 12-string intervals of +19 on the lower 3 strings (EAD) and +12 on the others, and is tuned down an octave.

Controls

The two GK switches are set to enable and disable the 12 string settings (both channels) and the alt tuning (B channel only).

The GK rotary control is set to change the tone of the guitar sound on the A channel (via the EQ effect, rather than the COSM tone control).

One of the assigns (assign 14-2) has a midi cc#7 linked to the bend on the A channel, which I control via the pedal on my old GT3, as I lack an FC-300. I guess it would be worth tracking down this assign and re-assigning it to a usable pedal for most people :)

The B and G strings bend down a 4th, the other strings a tone (just seemed like a fun idea at the time)

For a cleaner sound, turn down the gain to about 22 on the A-channel amp and od/ds.

I've used the LIPS cosm guitar on this, but I think it also sounds nice with the tele and strat models..

If you get sick of the patch as is, you might like to disable the A channel altogether and mess about with the spacy sounds you get on B ... or vice versa :-)

Have fun!

aliensporebomb

I have to post that I love this patch and have used it numerous times along with other patches I've made myself.

The most obvious use is at about 5:18 in this track:

Along with my custom Super Luxe + Super luxe Orchestra plus the Organ Follower patch.

Kudos!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.

kloniwotski

Quote from: aliensporebomb on May 02, 2011, 07:10:23 PM
I have to post that I love this patch and have used it numerous times along with other patches I've made myself.

Hi! Thanks for the comment. After a move, I've not been on the vg-99 for a bit, but will be searching out those patches you mention (did  you upload them?) when I get back on it! :)

aliensporebomb

Yes, they are in the VG-99 Patches / Clean section.  Enjoy!
My music projects online at http://www.aliensporebomb.com/

GK Devices:  Roland VG-99, Boss GP-10, Boss SY-1000.